Fibreglass guards

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

FTWMC01

Fibreglass guards

Post by FTWMC01 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:18 am

:?: quick question regarding fibreglass guards and panels. How many people use them and how well do they last? Considering using them instead of steel but unsure of results thanks Kev.

MArki

Post by MArki » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm

I think there are several constraints to your question.

Legaly, i'm not too sure on the use of fiberglass.

The ADR states the guard must be made of a "solid type material" i belive. so it's a bit of a grey area.

Another major consideration is the mounting? how do you intend on mounting and how many points etc.

Mechanically i can't see a problem, no different to dirt bikes or sports bikes running those crappy "fender eliminators"

but i'd be thinking twice about running a fiberglass rear with a pillion pad......

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 pm

All depends on the quality of the fibreglasser. I've seen some guards that weak as P#ss and others that you can run a truck over.

They allow fibreglass cars so a fibreglass guard should be fine as long as its well made!

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 pm

The HD rear one I have seems strong

midnight7503

Post by midnight7503 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Ive been running a glass guard on my Triumph for almost 4 years, it hasn't cracked and has quite frequently had a pillion sitting on it, some not that small either,
regarding legalities why wouldn't glass be legal, there legal on cars, so why not on bikes?
just make sure you have it mounted correctly, with bracing in the right place to take the stress off the glass
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

Biker63

Post by Biker63 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Kev, for mounting points you should glass in metal plates about 2 - 3 times the size of the hole you are drilling and make the whole thing out of good old chopped strand mat. Woven mat is used because it is lighter , but is more flexible than csm. Proper flowcoat will make it stiffer but not stronger
Lex

oyamum

Post by oyamum » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 pm

My shadow had a glass rear guard section which was huge it came rite down under the seat that's from factory it had a few small cracks around the mounting points but nothing major at it held up well considering my bike is 15 years old with 80,000k and a pillion seat

BlueCollarMal

Post by BlueCollarMal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 pm

If your going to get them made ask for a composite construction and not just fibreglass, Fibreglass is a very old term and technology
When making my guards i use Double Bias, which is a fibreglass and knitted fabric stitched and woven together, 10 times stronger than just fibreglass and still the same thickness and weight generally
Any more fibrelgass questions please dont hesitate to ask
Cheers Mal
RIDE LONG STAY SAFE, BUY LOCAL AND SURVIVE

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:01 am

Mal would you be interested in doing a fibre galssing article with pics for our Chops'nBobbers magazine? I would also add it to this forum.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Biker63

Post by Biker63 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 pm

I must be showing my age still calling it fibreglass or still under the effects of styrene fumes .... FRP , COMPOSITE , FIBREGLASS...what ever you call it , it's still sticky itchy smelly stuff ... after 23 years in the industry I am glad to be out

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”