Engines and transmissions

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

RickB56

Engines and transmissions

Post by RickB56 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 pm

I have been looking at used Harley engines and transmissions in my quest to build a custom. It's like a kid in a candy store I tell you. 88" or 96", A or B? 5 speed or 6 speed? Does it matter? Will this transmission fit that motor? Left drive or right drive?

I reckon someone on here can sort this all out with a guide to selection of engines and transmissions that will bolt together and work on a custom application.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat May 08, 2010 10:42 pm

My thoughts...

If you want a simple motor go for a late model shovel. If you want a reasonably simple motor that is lasts well go for an evo.

Nothing wrong with the old four speeds. Hd's have tons of torque so 4's enough and cheaper.

As you can pick up an already registerred 80's shovel for $10,000 or evo for 15000 and modify them why spend many thousands more on fancy after market stuff that then needs engineering etc.

If you get an after market frame, take care as some US ones won't be accepted in Aus.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun May 09, 2010 8:54 am

depends on your spendometer and are you looking at aftermarket motors like S&S revtech and ultima the first 2 being better than the last. revtech are good and have 3 year warranty as compared to HD 3 month warranty bang for buck id go aftermarket and it is easier for transport to id an aftermaket motor than a motor from the states with no title

Tex

Post by Tex » Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm

SHOVEL MOTOR

4 SPEED

RIGID FRAME

16" REAR, 21" FRONT

APES

What more can you want??!!

_____
TEX

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun May 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Gee Tex ya wouldnt have pic of all that and how it comes together would ya?
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Tex

Post by Tex » Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Cromag wrote:Gee Tex ya wouldnt have pic of all that and how it comes together would ya?
Cromag, Had a bit of a scratch around in my shed and found THIS!! :D

Seems pretty close to the mark? Affectionately known as "The Chief". You may get to see it in October.

Oooppps..... sorry!! Its got a 15" rear not a 16" !! Glad I could be of help!! :lol: :shock: :wink: :D

______
Tex

johno

Post by johno » Thu May 13, 2010 4:34 pm

i am looking at buying a new 100 ci engine so pm me if you want to make an offer on my evo i also have the primary to get rid of as i have a belt drive coming,i am open to all reasonable offers ,i might even be up to buying a new gearbox ,the one i have is an S&S super stock so you can make an offer on the hole lot
just because its old don't make it good

Soulrider

Post by Soulrider » Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

still think you go with dragbars and not apes.....

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 am

Johno,

Got a photo of the evo setup?

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 am

OK sports lovers......what about primary drives? any preference? i myself am riding the 85 glide (as yet to be named) and its got 10.5 shocks and is really quite low, too low in fact, i myself want more lean angle on the primary side,,, will a belt drive, devoid of cover achieve this? is it a hard wearing set up?....i remember a mate with a rigid pan, exposed belt and he could crank it over heaps, but its a lot of expence to go to if it doesnt achieve the goal.....What do ya reckon?
Loud pipes save lives

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri May 14, 2010 10:08 am

You could try your shocks on a harder setting.

Move the bottom shocker mount forwards an inch which will raise the rear end 3/4"

Adding two inches into your forks wil bring the crankshaft height up about 1.5" and the clutch hub up about 3/4".

Running a 1.5" belt drive will give you some more lean over clearance if you leave off the cover, but don't drop the bike!!!!

I am looking for a 1.5 belt drive, as the guys I know who have them swear by them ... long lasting, more horsepower, smoother motor and less noisy.

I got one off ebay some time back but the pulley and clutch baskets though they look right are for slightly smaller shafts... anyone know what they fit?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Sun May 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Rick.
I might have something for you in a week or two. I have a new Maximum Motorcycles frame from Canada, a 330 mag wheel with an Avon on it and a lot of other bits I will throw in to make a good "basket case" project. Might even have an Evo 1340 donk and a 6 speed RSD tranny for it yet.
I will post pics here in a week or so.
Its a pro street and will make the 550 rule OK but will be a ground up build, a great opportunity to have a pit to throw money into, a pastime we all adhere to.
MM frames are among the best in the world, not for the feint hearted and a great platform.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun May 16, 2010 7:22 pm

The shocky mount idea appeals (cheaper than Fournales anyway) shocks dont seem to be adjustable (i could be wrong) but they are like riding a rigid......Talkin to Chopperal gave me some insperation as well, ......so it looks like ill register the trail bike again.......(gotta have 1 two up machine)
Loud pipes save lives

RickB56

Post by RickB56 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:48 pm

" A pit to throw money into"........your a real salesman Ollie. :shock:

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 am

Brutal honesty.
How about " wont take much to complete" or "can be finished in a couple of weeks on your kitchen table" or "everything you need except oil and petrol and a couple of other things"

I kept a detailed spreadsheet of every last nut, bolt and washer I bought on my last bike and I stopped at the $10,000 mark because I knew I was going to suffer bouts of depression and require anger management counselling and possibly gender re-asignment. Unfortunately, I dont use cheap or second hand parts and it wasnt unusual for me to buy several of the same thing, like 5 seats, to see how they looked. I probably have enough parts for a second or even third bike build, but the money was still outlaid to build that particular bike and its never going to be recouped if I sell it.
Unless your gunna buy a second hand Yamaha and change the hand grips and hang tassles off the handlebars, your next chopper project is going to be a pit to throw money into, old mate.
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”