Primary chain noise

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Cromag

Primary chain noise

Post by Cromag » Sun May 23, 2010 10:01 am

G,day already asked this over on HD forums Aus and got good advise and a helpful response, but i need to throw the net a bit wider.

Ivee got a muffled grindy noise in my primary (sought of sounds like the tardis beemin in, but does not vary in speed, volume or pitch )

oh yeah its an 85 Wideglide, so i work 10-15 from home, noise started last week, but was only when i got home in arvo ...sounds like a constant grindy noise, doesnt cause any vibration, doesnt disappear when i put in gear or pull in clutch....eventually it just stops but on run home on fri, i heard it at the last set of traffic lights near my house.....definatly sounds like from primary side???

i pulled the inspection cover, oil level is good, and clean.....What now>?
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

midnight7503

Re: Primary chain noise

Post by midnight7503 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:16 am

Cromag wrote: (sought of sounds like the tardis beemin in, but does not vary in speed, volume or pitch )
Ok I know this isn't much help but seems you've left the handbrake on same as the Dr always has, (the new series is very informative about the Dr's inability of driving his Tardis) :lol: :lol:

Ok back to the real question, has the self adjuster come a drift in there??
“There is no heaven, there is no hell, except here on Earth.”

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 am

i am thinking primary adjuster or the little plastic foot on adjuster has worn out and you are hearing steel on steel noise

Tex

Post by Tex » Sun May 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Agree with Brassy. Check the plastic chain tensioner block.

They are long-wearting, but need replacing. Every chance that it's never been looked at.

OR .... Check the tension on the drive chain. If it's loose, it can rub on the primary cover where it exits. If so you will see lots of metal dust there.

_____
Tex

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun May 23, 2010 12:53 pm

Easy fix mate, sell it and buy a Jap bike!!!
:D

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun May 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses (well most of em, aye PC?) checked the tension, seems good.....no floaty/shiney bits in the oil and although i havent pulled the primary cover off, all looks well with the tensioner block....and wouldnt the volume, speed and overall noise increase with the speed of the chain whipping over it? because regardless of engine revs the sound is constant......ive also realised the noise only started after i replaced the clutch cable....could this have anything to do with it?

keep the thoughts coming in......i think ill begin by messing about with clutch adjustment...see how it goes from there. Cheers.
Loud pipes save lives

Tex

Post by Tex » Sun May 23, 2010 1:43 pm

mmmmm clutch plate rattle perhaps?? Muffled by the primary cover??

_______
Tex

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun May 23, 2010 1:49 pm

is it a whirring type noise if so clutch may not have been adjusted properly and Jap bikes are not the answer they are the problem ie: short lifespan throw away machines if they were made to last we wouldnt have the its broken throw it in the bin culture that we have developed since the japs introduction to anything that needs batteries uses electricity or has a motor
Hows that for the truth

Tex

Post by Tex » Sun May 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Most "whirring" noise comes from the Cam Gear, but ..... wrong side!?? :?

______
Tex

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sun May 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Brassy, as much as i wanna reply to your comments i won't, as people get upset.
But rest assured, you'll get your verbal flogging on Jap V's HD next time we have a get together!!

Cheers :D

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun May 23, 2010 5:19 pm

i knew you'd have a nibble but i was hoping for more of a bite than that its just like shootin fish in a barrel

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun May 23, 2010 5:22 pm

i was thinking like a clutch drag type whirring tex

sharky

Post by sharky » Sun May 23, 2010 6:19 pm

Jap bikes are not the answer they are the problem ie: short lifespan throw away machines
So FJ1200's with 150,000+ MILES on the clock and still going strong...
:wink:

roach

Post by roach » Sun May 23, 2010 6:41 pm

easily fixed just remove your mufflers that particular noise wont bother you anymore :)

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun May 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Now now gentlemen, its a multicultural hobbie we're experimenting with here...further proving that Chopping Motorcycles is a uniquekly Australian pasttime...handed down to use by a long line of shed dwellers, trogladites and magical metalurgist gnomes from way back......and if they dont know whats going on...just ask a Kiwi for the good oil...Hey roach?

Wirring might be more a better description for the noise iam hearing....havent adjusted it yet, will in the am on me way to work.
Loud pipes save lives

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”