chasing down cam plate '69 Bonnie

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

flexyourhead

chasing down cam plate '69 Bonnie

Post by flexyourhead » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi all

I'm trying to locate a new cam plate for 650cc '69 Bonnie. Mechanic has urged that I get one that has been C&C machined.

Can anyone recommend a starting place?

Cheers.

Grant

drewseventyone

Post by drewseventyone » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:03 am

Hi Grant

We are talking about the gear selector cam plate right ?, the "clowns head" ?
What internals do you have ? there were 2 versions for the 5 speed & I'm not sure but some of the 4 speed internals changed around 68-69 (I cant remember if the selector mechanism changed)

If you are looking for CNC machined, you will likely have to look overseas, SRM & L.P Williams in the UK do a lot of CNC stuff, MAP Cycle in the US do some too.

I cant remember ever having seen a CNC item, but I'll ask the question on the British Iron list and see if anyone has a lead.

Cheers
Drew
Acceleration is fun, but drum brakes keep life interesting.

drewseventyone

Post by drewseventyone » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:58 am

This has a few people around the world scratching their heads and looking through old parts books....

My opinion is that the stock item was reliable so I cant see anyone bothering to tool up to make batches of them, but I could be wrong, getting a one off made is going to be expensive...

here is another reply "There are two cam-plates, one with teeth and the one that the selector rollers fit into. I think that the one that you are talking about is the flat plate with slots machined into it for the rollers # T3650. They have a bad habit of wearing out and allowing the rollers to jump track, so to speak. To be honest, I have never seen a c&c machined one, but I am sure that they must be out there somewhere. I would think that if you were to take an old one to a good machine shop, they may be able to fillet weld the surface of the plate and then cut you a new set of groves. This could end up being rather pricey, It may be much cheaper and easier to see if you can locate a NOS piece."

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the input thus far guys.
It is a four speed with the groove in it and the roller sliding along it.
I noticed the term CNC was used when I was quoting C&C. To be frank, I don't even know what it means. It's just what my mechanic has recommended. So is it CNC or C&C and what is it exactly.
I guess I could ask the mechanic but I usually get a variety of views here which is what I prefer.
Thanks again for now.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 pm

CNC: Computer Numerically Controlled.
C&C: ?
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

drewseventyone

Post by drewseventyone » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Sorry mate, I assumed it was a typo.
I don't know what C&C is, so I will leave you to it.

Good luck

Cheers

Drew

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:09 am

Cheers again y'all.
No worries Drew re typo. Like I said earlier, I got no idea what it was/meant but I do believe that that has all changed.
I'm starting to think I should stick with a regular machined plate as opposed to CNC type.
I have started looking at the earlier two companies mentioned but alas, still awaiting replies from them.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”