got a problem, not a chopper yet...

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Stray

got a problem, not a chopper yet...

Post by Stray » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi folks.
I know it is not a chop as yet, i have plans though. As it stands at the moment i had to store my old 84 suzuki gsx250 at my sisters place for 2 years while busy doing other stuff. Have moved into a new place with a garage now and brought it with me. I tried getting her going yesterday and charged up the battery etc, tried turning it over and no fire.
The bike is stock as, and i have used a test light to see where there is power... i am getting nothing at the plug leads!
I wanna get this thing running so i can finally get my license hopefully end of the year. Gotten old enough to realise riding unlicensed is just plain lunacy! Especially since i have moved up to the Penrith area and the traffic here is bullshit.
So... since electrics stump me... anyone have any ideas where to go from here to see what has deteriorated on me? Or anyone kind enough to live in the Kingswood, NSW area who knows enough about electrics keen on a chat and sort out session?
Cheers in advance for replies.
every man needs a shed, to put his stuff and clear his head and work out what the hell she said.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Turn on the ignition and use a test lamp or multimeter on the battery side of the coil. If it doesn't show full power problem is between coil and ignition switch/kill switch or battery. Easy way to get around that is to switch on ignition so you can hit the starter button and also run a wire direct from the positive pole on the battery to the coils. Each coil should have two wires... One (often blue or yellow) runs to the points or pick up on the end of the crankshaft or cam. The other one (often black or black/white) is the power feed from the battery.

Don't leave power on to coils for more than 15minutes at a time as they can overheat.

That will at least give you a chance to get it going.

After a bike has been sitting a long time it can be low in compression hopefully solved with some oil pumped in through the plug holes.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Stray

Re: got a problem, not a chopper yet...

Post by Stray » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:55 am

sorry for the late reply Prof, i did read your comment the next day, and lucky enough a neighbour is an old rider, he came past as i was fiddling with it and i mentioned this to him as what i was doing. He pitched in and found what was loose! A sodding connector had come partly loose and was not transferring power after the coil or some such. But we got her fired up. Had to blow some crud out of the right muffler, and after that got an idle happening.
Going to give her a full fluid change and plugs etc... some new fuel and grease up the chain and all that. Check the nuts and bolts are all nice and tight, get some air into the tires and take it up and down the road to blow the cobwebs off.

Thanks again for the reply!
every man needs a shed, to put his stuff and clear his head and work out what the hell she said.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:04 am

That's good news. Before you do too much riding, disconnect every connection and clean(scrape) and make sure all are tight. Once we spent 6 hours triying to find a fault. Turned out to be a hiden connector under the tank that only disconnected when the handle bars were in a cerain spot. Any other positin and it popped back in!. Another thinkg to be aware of is earths. An earth connection can operte fine and then for no apparent reason, the connection ceases... so clean all earths to frame and alway keep your battery terminals clean. Use grease to slow the build up of acid and if you can get a glass mat gel battery to fit, it is worth the money just to have no acid leakage or overflow.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Stray

Post by Stray » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:04 am

Aye thanks Prof. Will go over everything 1 by 1 when i do a full service on her.

Would like to get her regoed by end of year if things go right.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”