Riders may get tougher tests

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Aussiehard

Riders may get tougher tests

Post by Aussiehard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Sunday, 29 April 2012
Motorcyclists and riders of scooters and mopeds are over- represented in road crashes and deaths in Western Australia and could face tougher tests to get a licence.
The high casualty rate has prompted a Western Australian government review of training and licensing methods.

The review, due to be finished this year, was designed to develop a system that "more thoroughly prepares and tests new riders".

The Department of Transport website said motorcyclists were up to 29 times more likely to have fatal injuries in road accidents than drivers of other vehicles.

It said WA fatality rates for riders between 2002 to 2007 were more than twice the national average.

"To address community concern, changes are being proposed to the ways motorcyclists are licensed, trained and assessed in Western Australia," the website said.

An office of Road Safety spokeswoman said motorcyclists and scooter riders were considered vulnerable road users.

"They are over represented in road trauma because of the higher risk of death or serious injury in a crash due their lack of protection in comparison to a car," she said.

Research released yesterday from the Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety in Brisbane shows moped riders crash more frequently than other two-wheel vehicles but motorcyclists are three times more likely to die.

Mopeds, or scooters, are generally limited to 50cc engines and are designed to not exceed 60km/h.

Researcher Ross Blackman said there was a big rise in moped use in the past decade, largely because they were cheaper to run and more convenient for commuters.

But his research, the first of its kind in Australia, showed mopeds crashed more often than motorcycles based on the number of registered vehicles and the kilometres travelled.

"About one per cent of reported scooter and moped crashes resulted in a fatality and 3.4 per cent of reported motorcycle crashes resulted in a death," Mr Blackman said.

"But 45 per cent of reported moped crashes resulted in hospitalisation, so we need to acknowledge those serious injury concerns."

He said scooter and moped crashes were more frequent in lower speed zones and on weekdays.

But data also showed moped riders had safer riding behaviour, greater knowledge of safety issues and superior riding skills.
Efforts were needed to encourage use of protective clothing, particularly for moped riders, who were more likely to wear non-protective clothes, such as short-sleeved shirts, skirts and open shoes.

neale

Re: Riders may get tougher tests

Post by neale » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Personally I'd question the statement about better riding skills on mopeds/scooters, I'd say that they're basing that on the fact that they're going slower, nothing more.

That being said, at the risk of stating an unpopular view, I would agree that better training/testing will keep new riders alive longer, things like what to do when the rear tyre lets go when you're turning, or when your rear locks up, I've seen way too many riders just drop the bike and slide under something damaging for my liking. I doubt that anything can be done about the boy racers who are always trying to impress people by going way beyond their limits, though.

FWIW

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

KBG

Post by KBG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Don't know if it is the boy racers crashing more than the 45+ age group who have never ridden till they buy there Harley etc..
some meaningless dribble

neale

Post by neale » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:36 pm

The older guys may fall over more, but from what I've seen they seem to fall over at low speed, like my brother in law who bought a Ducati in his mid-60's, tools around town on a sports bike, but shits himself if he gets up to 80Ks.

FWIW
Neale

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Again it is a case of blame the two wheelers for being on the road and not making the roads safer, conditions better or awareness greater.

I found it interesting that the claim scooter riders have better skills the motorbike riders??? Not sure how they came to that conclusion…..

ol_750

Post by ol_750 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm

They should make a 3mth bike cource a part of getting a car licence so everyone gets to experience what its like being on the road in traffic with cars & trucks. It would make all drivers more aware. :shock:
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Maybe if they allowed 16 year olds to get a provisional licence to ride a 50cc scooter during daylight hours/ restricted hours and NOT allowed on freeways after completing a full rider education course , similar to the pommy system of graduated horsepower licence, the benefits i can see is freedom and for that you,d need to work to get money for fuel - bonus to the economy, and if there is a shite load of kids on the road every parent will be looking out for scooters as their kids are out there somewhere. But as a double edged sword stiffer penalties for stupidity- hooning , Just my opinion others may argue.

I still remember my pop telling me how he got his bike licence ; local copper busted him riding around town so he made him ride up the block and back, after completing this he was fully licenced ; amazing
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Maybe we should go the Indonesian system………………..Smaller is in the right.

If you hit a person your at fault, if a car hits a bike or scooter they are at fault, so on up the size.

Seems to work over there in their crowed almost lawless roads, no road rage and a lot more courtesy.

neale

Post by neale » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 pm

"I still remember my pop telling me how he got his bike licence ; local copper busted him riding around town so he made him ride up the block and back, after completing this he was fully licenced ; amazing"

That was still pretty much the process when I got my license in the late '70's, they sent me down the road to turn around and come back, by the time I'd turned around they'd gone in to fill out the paperwork, on the basis that it I could do that I could probably handle the bike OK. They may go overboard today, but a bit more attention to people knowing what they should be doing is probably a good thing IMHO.

And I agree about being in the wrong if you hit something smaller, the bigger you are, the more carnage you can do, on Asian roads it's chaotic, but people usually pick themselves up, dust themselves off and head off again, as a bit of attention has usually reduced the impact to all concerned ( except for the trucks and busses, when they have a head-on it's mayhem, and that's quite common.)

FWIW

Neale
Neale

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Tue May 01, 2012 8:43 am

In '86 I rode my Z900 to the station for my bike test. Policeman who took the booking was there by himself, so he said he couldn't take me out. He asked if that was my bike out the front, and how long I'd had it. I told him, and he typed up the licence.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”