rake kit

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

chef

rake kit

Post by chef » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am

just wondering if anyone had used these before , and if they are legal in oz
http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/sportster_photos.htm

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: rake kit

Post by Prof » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm not aware of any rules against these kits.

I've not seen one personally or spoken to any one who has one on their bike. There seem to be lots of good reportson the net... I've a heard a couplecomments that on the bigger rakes the bearings wear quickly.

You do need to keep within the 550 rule in Aus though which usually means a maximum total rake of about 35-38 degrees depending on the bike. This set up does allow the bike to go back to stock for resale and avoids any 'frame modification' engineering requirements.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

chef

Post by chef » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

thanks prof i kinda like the 9deg with 6 inch over, might be worth saving up for might have to contact them see if they can give the info

chef

Post by chef » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:17 pm

in the manual it has caster 32 deg trail 137 mm how would i work out what rake and os tubes i can get and stay legal i dont wanna go crazy, just think my bike looks a bit pushed in at the front, thats y im hoping 9deg and 4 or 6 inch os would work on my bike , they come in 9, 14 or 18 deg rake,and i think 4, 6,8 and 10 inch os tubes

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:43 pm

9 degrees and 6" would probably put it out past 550. 4" with 9 degrees may leave the front of your frame too close to the tar.

Block your bike upright and draw up 9 degree angle on a big piece of cardboard/ply. Mark our 4" and 6" on a broom stick andline it up with your triangle. Keep the end the same height off the ground as your axle and you will get an idea of how it will work.

If your inspectors don't check for 550 compliance you may be able to get away with 600 or a little more... as cops on patrol don't seem too aware of rake when they check bikes. More for noise and obvious things like mirrors, high bars etc... unless of course you join in on patch runs and then they will be their with their model specification sheets and tapes!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

chef

Post by chef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 pm

thanks again ill give that a go on the weekend

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Was this one that turned up on the run to Stawell a few years back, its owner seemed happy with it

KBG

Post by KBG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Most info I have read says trail should be around 3 to 7 inchs with these trees you would have negative
trail in some cases.
I would think it might get very twitchy at higher speeds.
some meaningless dribble

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm

KGB, they are not a raked tree, but have a ball joint at the top and a foward mounted bearing at the bottom so that trail increases as with a true rake job.

I'd forgotten John's bike... he loved it and had ridden it in this format for a couple of years when we knew him... also towed a trailer when camping.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

KBG

Post by KBG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:39 am

Prof wrote:KGB, they are not a raked tree, but have a ball joint at the top and a foward mounted bearing at the bottom so that trail increases as with a true rake job.
I've never seen em before, I'm glad you enlighted me to how they work.
I was getting worried that someone would put 18 degree raked trees on the market!!
some meaningless dribble

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Can't find an AME website, but here's another link that has an installation report with pics...

http://www.choppersrule.com/articles/ame/ame_big1.asp
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

eddiehob

Post by eddiehob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Here are some i have come across
www.seegercycle.com/
www.chopper-kit-usa.com/

i Saw a new victory with a custom set up on from kewl metal and a big front wheel ,at the Bairnesdale toy run.The kewl metal ones look more sturdy but alot more exspensive.will try upload the photo of the bike.
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_i ... ucts_id=83

Cheers
Eddie

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”