Chopper Parts.

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Marcus

Chopper Parts.

Post by Marcus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:01 pm

G'day fellow chopper riders.
I have started my chopper build on my 1980 Z1. Extended forks have arrived from the UK handle bars cables etc are being fitted in my spare time. Two more mods to go in stage one. And looking for some help here.1. the Sissy bar. Is there one out there that will bolt on to my bike? 2. After talking to the Prof. I have decided to go with spacers that bolt on to the frame and the rear shocks setting them back about an inch and lowering the rear end. Is there someone who can make this stuff for me.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Chopper Parts.

Post by Prof » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Any fabrication shop will be able to make lowering blocks for you. I have access to a Z1 and could do them if you can't find anyone locally.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 am

Where are you? Post some pics of your bike please.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:43 am

I spent some time on the net this morning thinking a second hand set should be available, but couldn't find a thing... I'll bet there a quite a few in peoples sheds and wreckers boxes of parts...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks guys. I will try my local fabrication shop first as you have suggested Prof. To answer your question Neo Dutch. I am in Ballina. I have attached a photo of my Z1 as it looked before I started the chop. Will have most of it done in the next couple of week. Then I will post some more. ta Marcus.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:49 am

Wow, very clean. Good starting point.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 am

G'day all. A problem has developed during my chopper build. I wonder if any of you have had this problem.. As I have mentioned I am extending the forks by 6". The problem is that the side stand is to short. Is it possible to get a longer one? or should I cut it and extend it? My bike has no centre stand as the previous owner said they dragged and where dangerous.. Perhaps I should put one on. Any suggestions..

78gold

Post by 78gold » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:02 am

Marcus,
Have a look at Prof's recent post re: Gold Chop.
Looks like they did just that (or shortened it not sure but principal the same).

When Steve (Xsive) did mine he even added a foot shaped base, heaps of things you can do.
Have fun with it.

Ride Safe
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Yep, just make a longer/shorter one. Almost all kickstands are steel, flat bar, tube...etc. Especially on the older stuff. As 78gold said, put your own little spin on it, and make a foot, or a spoon, Customising is fun !!!
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:35 am

Prof wrote:Any fabrication shop will be able to make lowering blocks for you. I have access to a Z1 and could do them if you can't find anyone locally.
Prof.. That would be great.. As it was your suggestion you are obviously the best person to make them.. Let me know how to pay
and if we need to talk I think you have my number.. ta Marcus.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:24 am

We can make them out of stainless so you can polish them to a chrome like finish or mild steel to be chromed or painted. Lowering blocks usually move the bottom of the shocker back about 50mm which would drop the rear end approx30mm.

Work out how much you want it dropped and I will measure up a customers z1.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Prof wrote:We can make them out of stainless so you can polish them to a chrome like finish or mild steel to be chromed or painted. Lowering blocks usually move the bottom of the shocker back about 50mm which would drop the rear end approx30mm.

Work out how much you want it dropped and I will measure up a customers z1.
I would like to drop it as much as possible. I can see that if they where to far back they would interfere with the axle adjustments. Mild steel would be good. Will paint then black. I would like your opinion on another problem that has arisen by extending the forks by 6". The side stand is to short. What should I replace it with or perhaps make one up?

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Link to stand suggestion... at the end of the post.

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... =60&t=7542
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 am

Marcus, further to our phone call...

Your Z1 rear wheel looks to be a 16 incher. Check the tyre profile. The standard 130x 16 is 90 profile... ie the height of the tyre is 90% or the width labelled as 130/90/16.

It appears the 16 incher on it is stock with means the factory would have adjusted the gearing to cater for the smaller diameter of the tyre if it is the common 130/90/16 which is about an inch and a half less diameter than a 4.50 x 16 or a 100 profile 16 incher.

You could get the bike a bit lower with a 130/80/16. Old style 16 inchers are available in 130/100/16 often just labelled old school style 5.00 x 16.

There appears to be excessive wheel to guard clearance... What length are you shockers from centre of eye to eye? They appear to be 13" or so.

You should easily be able to find some 12" shockers to fit which will drop the rear accordingly. What ever you do you do need to make sure your tyre doesn't jam under the guard when you hit a big bump. To do that you need to remove the spring off one of the shockers and collapse the shocker fully and put it back on the bike and measure clearance at the closest point. At the top of the centre shaft there will be a rubber bumper. This will compress about 50% on a heavy bump. Allow for this as well. Let's know how much clearance you have left.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Z1000 002.JPG
New front end. Prof I will try smaller shocks first. To lower the rear end. And now the side stand is to short. lol.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”