Santee frame build...

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Santee frame build...

Post by Prof » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Email received...

Hi,

Here is some pictures of my 197? Santee frame built to take a Honda CB 750. [as well as my Yammy and BSA and a picture on what my bike may eventually look like ]

It is only early days so first things will be to get some front forks and wheels.

The frame came with a motor but will need work on top end as camshaft and caps all scored and cylinders have surface rust but bottom end seems ok.

With the frame came the chrome metal box to house coils with the Santee sticker still attached , also a smaller coffin shaped tank and another oil tank that is round with battery box separate that bolts at bottom of the frame where as the hexagonal one is combined but don’t think is correct.

If you have a good picture of how it should look would be handy but I suppose the idea is to be individual with it

The rear sissy bar was made to suit.

Would a Yamaha XS 650 motor fit in it?

My other bikes are a 1928 BSA 1.74HP 2 stroke and a 1976 Yamaha RD 250 2 stroke which I have just restored after it sat for 30 yrs out side a shed at my brother in laws farm so this will be something different but my bike club [Shoalhaven Classic Bike Club ] seems to be ok with allowing it to be registered when the time comes as it is a classic in its own sense and the frame was a period accessory.

I live in Nowra NSW which is on the south coast about 1 hr south of the city of Wollongong or about 2 hrs south of Sydney so if any members are close would be glad to make contact with them and will most likely become a member in the new year but not really sure how long will be till bike is going.

I believe the front forks were originally 8 inches over size and the rear wheel was a 16 inch dia but am not sure then if the rear sprocket needs to be changed due to the smaller wheel size.

Also if any member has any suitable parts would be handy but am going to the Goulbourn swap meet in a few weeks so may find something there.

Cheerio for now Ian .

Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Santee frame build...

Post by Prof » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:07 pm

XS650 motor should fit... would have to check whether the exhausts will foul front down tubes. New engine mounts need to be made. Front one will be fairly bulky because the down tubes are so far apart. You will need an xs or CB500/4 wheel because rear sprocket or 750 is 48 T versus 34 on the xs and 500/4.

I personally would stick with the CB750 motor as the changes are a lot of work including aligning sprockets and I personally prefer the cb to the xs... the cb is quite wide though in comparison to the xs.

Re rear tyre size... 130/90/16 will need two less teeth on the sprocket to match stock Honda 4.00x19. Old style 100 profile 16" tyres currently available will keep gearing correct. For general cruising I like to drop off one of two teeth off the rear sprocket anyway as the cb750 stock gearing is set up more for acceleration and revs a fair bit at highway speeds.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

dale619

Post by dale619 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:26 am

this was a Honda 4

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Gday Ian.....slightly norf of you.....see you on the road no doubt....cool project
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”