Dragster 650 Build Progress 5#

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

newjack66

Dragster 650 Build Progress 5#

Post by newjack66 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 am

Hi all, hope Xmas was good & the New Year is so far, so good.

Thought it was time for an update.

Well finally pinned down my no spark situation, it was the coil pick up (apparently a common problem) So I ordered a a late model compatible used item from my now rich wrecker in the USA !! Hopefully will arrive this week.

I've taken the 3 inch extenders off as I'm going for the 21 inch front (Spokes coming from Japan), I'm running the 15 inch rears so 21 up front should give it a nice stance. I was looking at 18 inch rear but the mods and cost was not within my budget.

The wiring is the only thing left, but my sparky said lets get it running first and then finish the wiring.

Also the carby is close to my leg so I'll have to make a flat type mesh air cleaner. I was considering cutting down the manifold but have elected to go down with this option first. I hate cutting anything unless its a last resort.

I also got the brakeline made up and decided to cut back and buff the tank and rear guard and relocated the rear indicators, and have to mod the right cover slightly. Just put it on to give you an idea.

I did toy with the idea of leaving the covers off and relocating the battery, ecu etc but it would look messy and not clean. I might get matt black covers but I'll wait and see.

That's about it but hopefully I'll have more for you soon.

Cheers

Darren.
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Bearcx

Re: Dragster 650 Build Progress 5#

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Cutting the inlet runner length, may harm your engines effieciency.
Liking the bike so far, real chopper lookin'. 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Bearcx wrote:Cutting the inlet runner length, may harm your engines effieciency.
Liking the bike so far, real chopper lookin'. 8)
Thanks Bear, I reckon your right. I'll just mod a smaller flatter filter. The issue was I put +4 ich forward control extensions so it's brought my knee forward.

If worse comes to worse I can always go back to stock.

Yeah I did whine about the rake etc but with the 21 inch to go on the front and wiring cleaned up above the engine, it may be ok.

I think sometimes you have a vision of what you want it to look like but things change and I'm coming to grips with that LOL.
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:08 am

As I understand it, intake length between carby and motor affects torque and air flow. Shortening the distance increases turbulence caused by aircleaner and reduces torque. I think a significant effect can come from a change of only 10mm or so.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Prof wrote:As I understand it, intake length between carby and motor affects torque and air flow. Shortening the distance increases turbulence caused by aircleaner and reduces torque. I think a significant effect can come from a change of only 10mm or so.
Hi Prof

The BIP single carb manifold must be that length for a reason. I'll leave it as they designed it and just do a flat aircleaner mod. Should work out OK.

Cheers

Darren

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi all

Just 'another quick' update ....

The 21 inch front wheel is on. That means I'm running 15's on the back at 21 on the front. Much happier with the look than with the old 19's ...

Cheers

Darren

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57 pm

I can see in that second pic, where your knee would go. Right in front of the carb inlet........ :shock:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”