So looks like I got another project

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

oyamum

So looks like I got another project

Post by oyamum » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:57 pm

So I just picked up a 2005 suzuki m50 vz800.
Problem is she has a seized engine. It was cheap cheap cheap so I'm happy... I actually traded it for a dirt bike that owed me about $600 and i chucked in $300 in cash so I think I done alright. Question is iv found a wrecker that has an engine with around 3,000k on it comes with a few months warranty for $2500 or should I strip the current engine down and attempt to fix it?? I can do all the labour myself (I'm a car mechanic by trade, but never rebuilt a motorbike engine) I just have no idea where to get or how much a rebuild kit would cost (or even if I can get a kit or I'll have to buy all parts individually)

I still have my other bike and I can't ride the m50 until I'm off my restrictions in October anyway so I have a few months to sort it out just after some opinions thanks guys.

Bearcx

Re: So looks like I got another project

Post by Bearcx » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Nice score.!!! As a mechanic, you'll have no trouble fixing the bike engine, it's like a half of a 4 cylinder.

2005 bits may be easy to get, but until you've pulled the engine apart, you're not going to know how much it will cost.
Timing chain snapped, spun a bearing, broken crank...... 3 different price lists. Strip it first, I reckon.
Might just need a crank grind, a hone and a gasket set.

Just a thought.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

oyamum

Re: So looks like I got another project

Post by oyamum » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Yeh the I'm pretty stoked. The engine is actually seized so I'm assuming bearing failure but as you said I won't know until stripped down... Iv got a few more mods to do on my other bike then once that's finished il get started on the m50.... I really can't wait to ride it. It's the biggest bike iv ever owned and it's got a set of vance & Hines pipes on it so I'm hanging to hear how she sounds :)

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”