Dragster 650 Build Progress 7# Finished & SOLD.

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

newjack66

Dragster 650 Build Progress 7# Finished & SOLD.

Post by newjack66 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi all

Just an update. Finally finished the bike and sold it the same week.

In the end a frustrating build, but a steep learning curve. My biggest mistake was I had a clear picture of what I wanted then comprised with a half baked chopper look.

Now the search is on for a new one. This time I'll wait as long as I have to for the right bike and not act like a 'dog on heat' :oops:

Final Pics attached.

Cheers :D

Darren
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Bearcx

Re: Dragster 650 Build Progress 7# Finished & SOLD.

Post by Bearcx » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Not sure to be happy or sad for you. Happy that it's finished, but sad that you sold it. :D

Dont be too hasty in your next bike purchase, the good ones are out there, but you have to be patient. Now winter is coming, a few more projects and bikes will be on the market as people generally dont ride much in the colder months.

650 came out great, looks like a really nice ride. Congrats, (I think).
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Bearcx wrote:Not sure to be happy or sad for you. Happy that it's finished, but sad that you sold it. :D

Dont be too hasty in your next bike purchase, the good ones are out there, but you have to be patient. Now winter is coming, a few more projects and bikes will be on the market as people generally dont ride much in the colder months.

650 came out great, looks like a really nice ride. Congrats, (I think).
Thanks Bear for you encourage and support.

This bike fought me all the way. There were very few 'wins' & everything seemed to be a a struggle. In the end it was a battle of attrition ... I finally finished it but I hated the bike in the end. I just wanted it gone.

Don't know but it really got to me ....

The real positives were budgeting & learning to do as many things as you can yourself to keep costs down. Big 'no no' was sourcing stuff from overseas .... it stretched the budget.

I'm keeping an open mind as to the next bike .... but a 'sporty' or even a 'Fury' may be on the cards ....

Can't wait for winter to come along :D
" ... Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ... " - Jerry Garcia

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:32 pm

It's turned out quite nicely, though few choppers look right without some extra rake. However a good learning experience which is of considerable value.

My first 'chopped' bike was my R60BMW which got Z bars, twin rectangular lights and king/queen seat. Next (while I still had the BM) was a 350 Aermacchi which went through a number of incarnations and did me for three years of college commuting plus a lot of weekend and holiday jaunts around the state.

With this to ride I spent the last two college years building a U model HD (1200cc and pulled like a tractor). This one incorporated all I'd learned on the previous two... especially about making things strong enough! It got the full treatment including full moulding, heaps of chrome and a what was supposed to be a professional paint job. I was held up by a gearbox top from USA (years actually).

I did a big end on the Aermacchi and it was never the same, so I bought a new CB500 and chopped it that weekend and then progressively over the next 6 months. It was my only means of transport, not fancy like the U, but fully chopped without the frills and got heaps of riding.

Finally built my shovel which has also gone through chances since first being on the road in 2004.

Each chopper has incorporated lessons learned and refined to what I personally find suits me. BM was just basic with not rake or extension. Aermacchi had the rear dropped massively (struts most of the time) and 6" over teles. U was 8" over, rigid and no extra rake. It had pull backs which I have repeated on the shovel. The shovel currently 6" over, 43 degree rake and improved seating and a tall sissy bar.

King/Queen seats are my favourite and my shovel has the most practical setup yet... both seats internally sprung and most importantly the rider seat can be lifted to inspect fuses, oil level etc without affecting the passenger seat which saves removing sleeping bags etc on a long run. Passenger backrest is no longer continuous, but consists of two pads to make tying octos to sissy bar easier.

Lots of other small changes were made with each chopper until I feel like with the exception of the front forks, my shovel chopper is the best I can make it for me.

Point I'm making, don't try and get it all right the first time!!!!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

newjack66

Post by newjack66 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:47 am

Prof wrote:It's turned out quite nicely, though few choppers look right without some extra rake. However a good learning experience which is of considerable value.

My first 'chopped' bike was my R60BMW which got Z bars, twin rectangular lights and king/queen seat. Next (while I still had the BM) was a 350 Aermacchi which went through a number of incarnations and did me for three years of college commuting plus a lot of weekend and holiday jaunts around the state.

With this to ride I spent the last two college years building a U model HD (1200cc and pulled like a tractor). This one incorporated all I'd learned on the previous two... especially about making things strong enough! It got the full treatment including full moulding, heaps of chrome and a what was supposed to be a professional paint job. I was held up by a gearbox top from USA (years actually).

I did a big end on the Aermacchi and it was never the same, so I bought a new CB500 and chopped it that weekend and then progressively over the next 6 months. It was my only means of transport, not fancy like the U, but fully chopped without the frills and got heaps of riding.

Finally built my shovel which has also gone through chances since first being on the road in 2004.

Each chopper has incorporated lessons learned and refined to what I personally find suits me. BM was just basic with not rake or extension. Aermacchi had the rear dropped massively (struts most of the time) and 6" over teles. U was 8" over, rigid and no extra rake. It had pull backs which I have repeated on the shovel. The shovel currently 6" over, 43 degree rake and improved seating and a tall sissy bar.

King/Queen seats are my favourite and my shovel has the most practical setup yet... both seats internally sprung and most importantly the rider seat can be lifted to inspect fuses, oil level etc without affecting the passenger seat which saves removing sleeping bags etc on a long run. Passenger backrest is no longer continuous, but consists of two pads to make tying octos to sissy bar easier.

Lots of other small changes were made with each chopper until I feel like with the exception of the front forks, my shovel chopper is the best I can make it for me.

Point I'm making, don't try and get it all right the first time!!!!
That's a point well made Prof.

Looking at 'sportys' be it ironhead, evo of later, there seems to be so many options and after market parts to virtually do what you desire, without touching the frame ....

Having said that ... stretching the front tubes for the look I want is essential .... already a change :D LOL !

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Being in WA you will need to get engineering on your stretched frame if you wish to do it all perfectly legal. A guy in Choppers Australia can help you there.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”