Lithium Ferrous Phosphate Battery

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

flexyourhead

Lithium Ferrous Phosphate Battery

Post by flexyourhead » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi again one and all. I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference between a lithium ferrous phosphate and a lithium iron phosphate battery.
I'm figuring they are the same thing. Ferrous being iron.
I ask as for the last 1000km I've been using a Ballistic Evo 2 battery which is the lithium ferrous type. My trispark ignition recently died. In the process of fixing the problem it was pointed out that my battery may be causing a problem. I went back to the Ballistic website where I found a FAQ section which was not there when I first got the battery. In it it says that they're batteries are not to be used on positive ground systems. According to Ballistic it can cause cell damage. I might add the battery itself is still fine. I think it's more to do with the old school charges and regulators involved with the brit bikes but l could be wrong.
This lead me to replace the battery but l don't have enough amp hours to run bike successfully with lights on. Currently running 2.7Ah battery.
My motorbike mechanic recommends the Motocell 8Ah battery. Upon researching them l found these ones are lithium iron phosphate.
If they are the same type of batteries, does this mean that the motocell ones shouldn't be run on a positive ground system as well or do the guys at Ballistics have it wrong?
Also is 8Ah a standard battery size for '65 Bonneville?
All and any input on this matter is appreciated.
Cheers

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Lithium Ferrous Phosphate Battery

Post by Prof » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:35 pm

I suggest you contact the battery manufacturers or Australian suppliers direct. IBD do a lithium iron battery that is supposed to be superior to the others.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Prof.
What l have learnt is the Lithium Ferrous Phosphate and the Lithium Iron Phosphate are the same battery . Most manufacturers will refer to Iron over Ferrous and vica versa.
My problem still is why would one person say not to use on a positive ground and yet the other person has no issue with it.
As for speaking to experts, Lord knows I've tried and still continuing.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:08 pm

I suggest you give Ray, one of our members a call. His number pm'd.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

flexyourhead

Post by flexyourhead » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:49 am

Cheers Prof.

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”