Honda sohc Santee or not?

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

itheo58
Interests: Honda750 Santee,Yamaha RD250. 1928BSA2 stroke

Honda sohc Santee or not?

Post by itheo58 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm

G,day everyone.Have my frame sandblasted but am going to have an inspection on it.
The reason being that if I leave in a Will for son or for whatever reason has to be sold then might create less hassles.
I intend registering on club plates and RMS in NSW advised not a problem if club happy with it which they have said will be ok [Guess will be treated like a special ] but unless can show when frame was made would be treated as an ICV [individually constucted vehicle ] with build date whatever I can prove .
Spoke to an engineer and he thinks a statuary declaration may be ok from previous owner but all the info the better.
Because the frame is not painted yet want to get this part out the way.
It,s suprising how prices differ .
One place will do frame inspection but no report for $600 and same again when complete with report, where as another place quoted $3000.
Another bloke I spoke to was very helpfull and was able to put my mind at ease as had all these thoughts of meeting modern emission standards but advised me that 550 rule was a concern but could be overcome is frame date known.
The problem is i believed it was a Santee but all the ones I have seen were different when viewd in detail ,especially where seat tube meets downward tubes.
Does any member recognise what it may be then as rear engine mounts look exactly the same as a picture Tommy from Low Riders USA sent meof a Honda Santee except for seat tube and rear wheel mounts and front gusset.
The seat on the bike has a logo Le Pera Industres California and came with a Santee logo on the coil box.
If the frame is not a Santee then what is it and who in NSW would of sold frames as this is pre Ebay so guess some bike shop would of sold. Could this frame be locally produced? Thanks Ian

Bearcx

Re: Honda sohc Santee or not?

Post by Bearcx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:18 pm

Sounds like the usual runaround with an older bike. Hope you get it sorted, LOVE the stance on the blue scoot. Good luck and keep us updated with your findings, if you can, :D as it may help others, Cheers.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:17 pm

G,day again,It would seem perhaps that my frame is not a Santee.
I wrote to Honda Choppers forum and seems my frame differs where seat meets as a Santee frame has a continuous tube ,same goes for where rear wheel bolts,also front gusset slightly different.
If not a santee does anyone have any suggestions to manufacturer
I ask this as if I decide to ever go down the path of having bike fully registered ,then would need proof of manufacture or prior registration which I dont have. It then becomes an individually constructed vehicle with what ever applies.
Most of what I have read seems achievable.The only hassle I have at the momement is I want to paint my frame.
Speaking to a few engineers it seems not only welds are inspected but frame wall thickness and load capability.but a report is only done once infomation given to RMS incase any thing else required.
One engineer advised could inspect and write his findings on welding to get painting out the way and could calculate load bearing later so thats something but might really be for nothing if never fully register as local classic bike club willing to accept as is,even the RMS werent concerned.
I was hoping perhaps someone with a Santee could advise how there bike is numbered in case similar.
In the meantime have e,mailed the RMS to see if they have any history or data on Santee frames so an engineer could perhaps use as a reference if required or how Santee frames are numbered.
Enclosed is some close ups of frame with detail of joins.
Theo

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:22 pm

some more close up pics

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:25 pm

long legs

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:43 pm

G,day mates,By now have gathered that my frame is not a Santee .Should call it a Mongrel.
Took it to an Engineer as really want to be 100% happy that is compliantand have in writing so that if i ever want to fully register wont be an issue later on.
The most important thing is will meet the 550 rule if I lower my 8 inch over forks down a minimum of 2 inches and sprung seat to handle bars shold be ok .no Ape hangers.
Cost me as much as a whole Saturdays overtime for a one hour session with him to explain what is required,much I already knew. Cost $350
Frame was not entirely perfect 90 % there and thought might be home made and that some of the welds could be improved and polished up,likewise the rear forks .The work shop next to his office quoted $750 to re bead blast and tidy up and Engineer would be ok with that.
Wanted the same to paint frame .Local Place in Nowra would whole bike for that amount.
What do you do? Did not really feel like driving 2 1//2 hrs home and still having to get someone to sort out.
My thinks if I spent all the money having motor done then at least have a bike that eventually can be sold.
The engineer explained the 2nd stage if later want to finnish as an ICV and by sticking with standard Honda parts should ONLY cost another $2800 to have brakes,exhaust avoidance test done at a road testing facility double that if not stock parts.
I guess If ever sold what have to factor into sale price as have often seen bikes for sale in the Northern state as imports but who would want the hassle if could purchase one with a VIN number.
I am hoping that my engine rebuilder may do as soon will be getting accreditation and at least will have first part done.
Best of all is I can at least paint,fit wheels and motor and start moving on wth the knowledge that at least frame wont need to be distubed again. will keep you all posted with progress.Theo

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Almost sounds like they don't want customised bikies on the road!!!!

Spoke to a new member in SA today who was defected by a bike cop and then knocked back by Regency (our Gestapo Road People). His xs650 chopper (below) has done thousands of miles... including many regular trips in the 90's towing a trailer between Darwin and Adelaide. They claimed the rear hardtail was not strong enough!!! Had the bike been manufactured 6 months earlier, they would not have been able to do anything because it would have been pre SA ADR's. In light of the miles the chopper has done, any reasonable person would have passed it. Stinks!

This is the chopper. Dru, the previous owner who died two years ago, told me of the bike's previous history.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Lovely bike .The hassles new member had is precisely what I want to avoid.
Where does he go from now? remove motor and all fittings and have frame inspected ?
At least he has an advantage that would only be doing a modification and has existing registration ,not an ICV as the path I have to go.
Once I have frame to engineers satisfaction am hoping that can then asemble after having frame painted and move on ,possibly first getting on club plates and once satisfied that all sorted go the whole hog and finalise complience.
Expensive but can then rest easy and bike will be saleable if ever decide to sell.
How does the 90 day rego work in Victoria as far as inspections as in NSW is about $50 but depending on club rules what conditions they allow Our club is fairly flexible with type of bike as even have Chook chasers and dirt rides for them,also reciprical rides with other clubs or request at club meeting if another club has a run you would like to attend and of course our own runs and maintence provisions.
After being quoted $750 to bead blast again ,polish welds and reinspect I then get a call recomending that have it zinc coated for another $250.Reckon may as well be Gold plated. Well it wont rust but then Honda motors dont leak oil so might be a good thing.
Lucky I got complete bike for next to nothing. Still wont have to worry about disturbing once all put together.
I guess all this stems from public liability .
Hope the guy sorts out Yammie.Theo

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri May 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Guy sold the Yammie to someone up country who thought they might have better luck.

Not sure what point it is to get frame zinc coated... just a good primer, undercoat and top coat.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:10 am

Think the place was worried that might be some time before getting frame painted.
When i first took frame to several panel shops got all sorts of quotes but were all consistant in wanting to know what type of primer was applied as guess were worried if paint job changed later which is fair enough.
What is involved in lowering forks as I dont think engineer will be happy for me to just slide up yoke ? Have not had time to research but guess the hardest part will be having top re threaded ? Theo

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun May 03, 2015 1:03 am

Don't spoil those forks by cutting them down.

Get the right length from Forks by Frank in the US. US chrome is not as good a quality as Aus chrome, but will be fine if you keep them clean and dry.

You will need to know what model the fork came off, as there are about three different designs of CB750 bottom legs. A photo of the bottom of the legs can be compared with manual or find it out on internet.

What length are your current forks?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Forks were purchased on Ebay from the states as 8 inch over.
Was hoping just to slide through yoke but guess engineer would want to make sure cannot be raised again.
Not sure exactly what is involved in shortening them but does not alter look of bike much .Ian

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon May 04, 2015 8:14 pm

I think you should easily sell the 8 overs... be a real pity to cut them.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Mon May 04, 2015 9:35 pm

There is no hurry to cut them just now as bike wont be inspected if i keep on club plates.main thing is I know that 550 rule will comply if lowered to 6 inch over.
Would be good if some clip on could just clamp around top of fork tubes as original top yoke has been ground down so has no u shape channel for bars.
A home made riser was made by enlarging rear hole each but not sure how safe.

Purchased a polished stock Honda top yoke but of course did not match bottom chrome one so would need to fit the stock black cast one to bottom so not sure which to use but ones that came with frame bring forks slightly closer.
I,m really hoping that onnce bike is on club plates and infomation on record that should I go to re register later on then maybe wont need to be treated as an ICV as would at least have some documentation that frame complied as how would any one know if bike wasnt just put back on road after yrs sitting idle,Could of been passed on to me from my Old man for all they know.
Thats something to worry about later but if I have to go down the path of ICV then frame will already of been checked.
If someone has some 6 inch over forks or less then would be happy to swap as like I say does not alter much .
Attached is picture of bike when forks lowered 2 inches.
I am only guessing 8 inch over as that was what was advertised on E bay. Ian

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue May 05, 2015 9:50 am

I just had a look at one of my spare top clamps. In my opinion there is not enough metal around the redrilled hole to be strong enough. I suggest you take it to a welder and get him to build up the underneath of the yoke around the area of the hole to the level of the bottom of the yoke and 20mm each side. Once redrilled, I reckon that it would then be ok. Not a big job for a competent ally welder.

I've emailed Forking by Frank last night to see what a set of tubes would cost, but no answer yet.

If I have a good set to suit your fork sliders I would do a swap. Would need a photo of the bottom outside and inside of your tubes. I'll see what I have, but only have a couple of 6" sets and not sure how good they are.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”