number plates

Chat about choppers here. Any posts considered by forum administrators to be used by businesses as unpaid advertising will be promptly removed...

Moderator: Prof

caimbo
Interests: vtx1800 chop

number plates

Post by caimbo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Thinking about getting a new rear fender and want to do away with the tail light and number plate assembly - do the law allow the number plate to be mounted on the side of the rear wheel like you see in the US

Youngblood

Re: number plates

Post by Youngblood » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Not as far as I know, I belief you can mount it on one side of the bike but all the usual rules apply like being able to see the plates from 45 deg. angle from both sides and so on. I have seen a picture on the net of a legal side mounted plate but it looked absolutely ridicules. Sorry mate but we live in Australia!!!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:44 am

In South Australia, side mounted plates are illegal; they must be centrally mounted and lit. Maximum and minimum heights are in force.

If a tail light is side mounted it must have a matching light on the other side. Some of the latest Harely models have a combination tail, brake and indicator on either side. Location from centre and distance in from the rear of the guard are also legislated.

Rear guards no longer are required to be at 45 degrees to the axle.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

caimbo
Interests: vtx1800 chop

Post by caimbo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Prof
Can you verify the rule where the bottom of the fender does not need to be at 45 degrees to the axle as you stated
When did this change and what are the changes? and is it for all states - I'm in WA

moltan
Interests: Choppers, bobbers and even the odd Cafe Racer...

Post by moltan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:31 am

It was a change to the ADR caimbo, so should apply to everyone. Details here http://www.ellaspede.com/revised-adrs-m ... tail-tidy/. Because it's an ADR change I believe it may only apply to bikes built after the change date though?

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:16 pm

Each state has its own road traffic act which usually overrides the ADR's which is a common wealth set of rules. You need to check with your state's regio folks... though many of them try to keep the rules to themselves, (not to generate more revenue of course) and you need to be pretty persistant.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Each state has its own road traffic act which usually overrides the ADR's which is a common wealth set of rules. You need to check with your state's regio folks... though many of them try to keep the rules to themselves, (not to generate more revenue of course) and you need to be pretty persistant.

The 45 degree rule in SA did not apply to two wheelers specifically but was the reg for 4 wheels and applied to motorcycles as well. The rule used to simply state guards had to be sufficient to prevent debris being thrown up by the wheel or something to that effect.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Chopper Chat (includes how to post photos)”