Long term Triumph Chopper project

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

El Skitzo

Re: Long term Triumph Chopper project

Post by El Skitzo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:07 pm

I finally got to see the completed roller in person on the weekend when we dropped the kickstand off to Tom, and it looks absolutely amazing!

The size, dimensions and lines on this bike have turned out way better than I could have imagined.

And for someone my size (being 6 foot tall), it's a nice big long chassis that you really sit in.

Tom has finished welding on the kickstand today, so we should be taking the bike home this weekend. After which I'll take some better pictures, and show a before/after comparison of the roller compared to before it was chopped.

'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 pm

That last picture shows the exciting part.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 am

With the Ledslead weld-on kickstand now in place, the rolling chassis is complete and has now come home.

This picture shows a before & after of the frame chop, and really highlights why we went to the effort of doing it. As good as it looked before, it looks a lot better with the bottom frame rails parallel to the ground.

Now we've got the bike home I've been able to take some accurate measurements to check for legalities. We're all good, but we sure cut it fine.

Ground clearance: 105mm
Front axle 550 rule: 540mm
Wheelbase: 1830mm (6 feet)
Trail: +55mm

She sure is a long and tall bike now! Ideally would have liked a little more trail, but that's the best we could do with such a long front end and stay within the limiting 550 rule. I was not prepared to build the bike one way just to pass a rego inspection, and then revert it back afterwards. The goal of this bike is to be 100% legal Australia wide as it sits 100% of the time.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:22 am

Nice feeling when you can finally sit on the final version.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Post by TriNortchopz » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Wow, that is so good, great job. I really like the way you did it and the way it sits now compared to with the original frame.
Original wheelbase for a 1970 T120 was 1,400mm (55"), so a great stretch to 72"!

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm

TriNortchopz wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:54 pm
Wow, that is so good, great job. I really like the way you did it and the way it sits now compared to with the original frame.
Thanks TriNortchopz, that means a lot.

The rolling chassis, with the dimensions and lines has worked out far beyond my expectations!

The overall length being so big has given me more options for a gas tank than I was expecting, and as luck would have it I scored a West Coast Choppers Villain gas tank off Gumtree for $250. It wasn't what I was originally intending for this bike, but at that price it was worth grabbing just for fun.

As it turns out it's a pretty damn good fit, and really fills the length and the height of the frame quite nicely, so I think we'll pursue modifying and mounting it in the future. Ideally we'll probably narrow it about 2 inches down the middle, drop it down over the backbone at the front a little further, and then look to increase the depth of it, so the base of the tank follows the line of the frame cross tube and covers it.

This is a good stopping point for this project for now, while we focus on our 1949 Ford ute for a while.

Skip
Interests: My beautiful wife...our dogs..shooting..motor bikes..Aussie Rules [ Richmond Tigers ]..tattoos

Post by Skip » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Luv' it..that looks super cool !! :D
Decide..go for it..stuff 'em

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am

Skip wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm
Luv' it..that looks super cool !! :D
Thanks mate, very much appreciate the encouragement!

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”