Das Frankenbike

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

Oldschoolpaulie

Das Frankenbike

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:29 am

My brother doesn't do the internet, so I thought I'd post a few pics of his chop.
He doesn't have much money, but he has a lot of patience, determination, and fabrication abilities. It took him 7 years to build this, mostly due to lack of money; everything you see on this chop was either traded for, bought at swap meets, or fabbed by him in his shop. The frame is a Rolling Thunder acquired at a swap meet that he stretched 4.5" on the downtubes himself to accommodate the '98 Yamaha twin cam 1600 Roadstar w/ open pipes. The motor is often mistaken by Harley riders as Harley. The tank is rattle-canned. Head light is actually a boat light. He recently traded for a front disc that he's currently working out.
I dubbed it "Das Frankenbike" because of the way he pieced it together over the years. This thing is loud as hell, and has tons of torque. He smoked a Harley RoadKing with it when he first got it running. I don't know what all he's done to the motor, but when we ride together, I feel the resonance of the motor in my ribcage! It has a deep tone to it that reminds me of my 289 Mustang with open headers that I had when I was a kid. He needs a front end with a bit more length, as the frame sits on the ground when its on the kick stand, but again, money is an issue.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Das Frankenbike

Post by Prof » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:02 am

I know it would spoil the chrome, but he could get away with welding shaped half inch steel plates to the bottom of the girder to get another four inches. If the plate overlapped the existing girder by 2" it would be strong enough... not ideal but do the job for the time being.

If he is really inventive, he could make up plates that bolt through axle hole (need to be a tight fit) and clamp around girder rails. Welded lugs that fit half way around the bars would keep it all located. With the plates mounted on the inside it would look quite neat and the new pieces could be chromed to match the rest and the girder chrome would not be damaged.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 pm

That is definetly a home built ride to be proud of.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:49 pm

I want to chop one of these sometime... for looks, the motor gets close in my books to the simplicity and functionality of HD, but the gosh, gearbox castings are massive in comparison.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

DOA

Post by DOA » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:05 pm

now thats a custom chopper. a tad too low for my taste as i like to get around corners but a truly inspirational ride.
ride like you stole ya bike.
love like you will only ever do it once.
live like your a different age.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Top chop Image

Love the twisted girder!

Ol Fart

Post by Ol Fart » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Thats a beauty alright. I'm with you Prof, that engine is good looking unit
750/4 Sonic chopper.
A custom bike or a chopper should be something that has had the original essence of its existence altered to project the skills, objectives and artistic vision of its creator so the viewer or “beholder” and the creator can be positively stimulated by the actual bold or sublime beauty of the bike. Both need to project an essence of suitability, practicality, function and righteousness that has no stand for mediocrity or aesthetic blasphemy.

www.independentparts.com.au

Oldschoolpaulie

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:59 am

DOA wrote:now thats a custom chopper. a tad too low for my taste as i like to get around corners but a truly inspirational ride.
Yeah, DOA, he'd definitely put longer forks on it if he had the money.

xsive

Post by xsive » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:37 am

wow real choppers do still get built . there has been plenty of love in this one . as you say a little teething problem with the front end but no biggy sure you guys can sort it. your brother should be proud of this one . you just can't beat home grown.
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:26 am

That is a sweet and professional looking build………one to be proud of!

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Very Cool. 8)
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

cjmeg

Post by cjmeg » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Love it!
Don't change a thing.. :D
Time to start playing with the Vmax.
Oh and maybe I should finish the trike too!

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:19 pm

That is such a nice clean and chunky engine, i love looking at this bike it,s giving me itchy feet to finish mine .
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Oldschoolpaulie

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Just realized I haven't put the new photos up! I wrote and submitted a piece on my brother's bike to the Horse Backstreet Choppers magazine, and we did a photoshoot of the bike in its present state. We shot far too many pics to post all of them here, but I've hand-picked a few for you.

xsive

Post by xsive » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 pm

nice rides .both of them :roll:
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”