My old machines

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

Silent Grey Fellow

My old machines

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:40 am

Here a few bikes Ive owned over the years

NORTON 850 I owned back in 1979 payed $500 for it

Yamaha XS650 I owned back in 1986 I swaped a Honda K7 750/4 that cost me $350 to get it

KAWASAKI Z1 900 I owned back in 1986 picked this Chopper up for a steal payed $500 for it back round that time nobody wanted 1970's Japanese Choppers

I wish I still owned those 3 bikes and I'd be interested to know if anybody recognizes any of them to where they are today.
Silent Grey Fellow

Silent Grey Fellow

Re: My old machines

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:08 am

A few of my Harley Davidsons I have owned over the years

1982 Roadster the last year of the merger with AMF

One of the last of the 1000cc Iron heads A 1984 Sportster

One of the first Low Riders 1978 also one of the last big twins to come standard with points.....74 cube 1200cc Engine

One of the last of the 74 cube 1200cc Shovelhead Engines A 1981 FXE Superglide

1985 Softail Custom....The first year of the Softail Custom and the Softail Heritage

The last HD Ive owned A 1999 Lowrider 2nd year of the 88 Cube Twin Cam motor I bought it brand new January 2000 put 120,000K's on her over 10 years of hassle free riding. Then in 0ctober 2010 Swapped her for an Immaculate Triumph Rocket 3 with 40,000 K's on the clock.
Silent Grey Fellow

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:10 am

That Kwaka Chopper was cool
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:40 pm

El Skitzo wrote:That Kwaka Chopper was cool
It was as a wild ride too, it had a 12'' over springer front end with no front brake or gaurd Never got pulled by the cops on it. The bike was never registered when I had it I ran an old Victorian number plate on the back of it (In those days NSW Cops could not do interstate rego checks on the side of the road). One day I was ridding it down the F3 freeway (from Gosford to Sydney) with no helmet on (had a helmet exemption back then) and this bike cop come up behind me and sits there for about 30 seconds. I start thinking, I'm gone for sure, he came round checking me out as he went passed gave me a wave and took off at about 100mph. :twisted:
Silent Grey Fellow

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:50 pm

A bit of a yarn about this old beast

The story starts back in May 1986. At the time I was buying and selling bikes, my main bike i was riding then was a 74 cube shovel head Harley Davidson. I noticed an add in the classifieds, it read yamaha xs 650 chopper for sale $700.

So off I go to have a look at it and after taking it for a spin decided i wanted it. The guy that owned the bike told me he was selling it so he could buy a Honda 750/4.
It just so happened i was selling a Honda 750/4 at the the time, so we did a swap of bikes.

About 2 weeks later sitting round with a few mates on a sunday morning after a hard night of partying and drinking the amber fluid, my mate that rode a Triumph Bonneville 750, started bragging how fast his Triumph was. I said to him see that old 650 Yamaha over there i bet it would leave your Triumph standing still. He thought this was a great joke, "no way" he said "my Triumph would leave that for dead....lets race" he said.

I said before we do you take the Yamaha for a run and give it a big handfull of throttle then tell me what you think of its performance, so off he goes on the old 650 Yamaha. He gets back and says "WOW man what is done to this thing it gets up and boogies!". I said "yep, it sure does, do you still want to race?" "no" he says that is faster than my Triumph.

To this day i don't know what was done to that bike i never had the motor apart but it had a top speed of around 125 mph.
Silent Grey Fellow

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Cool man. love them old road tales.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Bad Garage

Post by Bad Garage » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Silent Grey Fellow wrote:
It was as a wild ride too, it had a 12'' over springer front end with no front brake or gaurd Never got pulled by the cops on it. The bike was never registered when I had it I ran an old Victorian number plate on the back of it (In those days NSW Cops could not do interstate rego checks on the side of the road). One day I was ridding it down the F3 freeway (from Gosford to Sydney) with no helmet on (had a helmet exemption back then) and this bike cop come up behind me and sits there for about 30 seconds. I start thinking, I'm gone for sure, he came round checking me out as he went passed gave me a wave and took off at about 100mph. :twisted:
Just remember this next time you feel the urge to tell me I'm doing something stupid with a bike haha.
Cool bikes for sure mate!

Silent Grey Fellow

Post by Silent Grey Fellow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Bad Garage wrote:
Silent Grey Fellow wrote:
Just remember this next time you feel the urge to tell me I'm doing something stupid with a bike haha.
Cool bikes for sure mate!
Just remember Brother my house is made from reinforced glass :wink:
And what went on in the 80's stays in the 80's :twisted:
Cheers mate :D
Silent Grey Fellow

Tweety
Interests: Trike modifications, tinkering, fox terriers, camping with our Detour camper trailer and trikeChoppers

Post by Tweety » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:26 pm

Nice, all of em.

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”