my honda 750 Santee

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

itheo58
Interests: Honda750 Santee,Yamaha RD250. 1928BSA2 stroke

my honda 750 Santee

Post by itheo58 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Have posted a picture of my Honda 750 Santee For members gallery.I now have engine brackets re welded on and frame now sand blasted along with tank and other bits
Motor has been sent away to an engine reconditioning place at Bathurst after getting the run around from 2 other places which wasted over 6 months time. Who would of thought a 750 Honda sohc would be so difficult.
Would of prefererred to get a 2nd hand motor as not sure how much use will get but looks like I have to go down the path of a rebuild of the pile of bits I had. At least i now have all the shiny bits to fit when finished all waiting wrapped in buble wrap.
Still have the issue of a 16 inch wheel with a 500 hub laced to it so will hopefully get around to a modified sprocket to suit.
It was fitted with a 750 brake plate with no shoes and only discovered was wrong when I could not fit my nice polished plate complete with shoes. A 500 type did not fit either and have since discovered that my hub had a steel spacer ring fitted over the bearing housing.All i needed to do was fit the thinner brake shoes but have ground this sleeve/ring off now so hub is back to standard now[except will have a modified sprocket fitted and hopefully aligns with gearbox ]
Just ordered a nice original top fork yoke that is polished only to discover that ones on bike are not the same .These are polished as well but top piece where handle bars bolt on has been ground down and some sort of flimsy riser attached.
The annoying thing was I had a bottom yoke which was with some old rusty forks and thew away as never thought would need as ones I had were nicely chromed [shame were a different shape].
Will keep informed of progress .Ian Theobald ..Nowra NSW

Youngblood

Re: my honda 750 Santee

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Sounds like you're having fun already, good luck with your build. Keep us posted....... :D :D :D
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:04 am

Getting there. Starting with a box of bits can be a real challenge. Mate and I once bought a pile of parts that we were guaranteed would basically make three bikes. Didn't even get a complete one out of it as most of the motor parts were stuffed with most of their components missing. Buyer beware. You have to sit down with the bits and take the time to check before buying.

But all part of the adventure!!!!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Sad story about the engine builders, mate. Hope you're on the right track, now.
Keep us udpdated with pics if ya can, love a good 750 duild.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 pm

The engine reconditioning place is Robinsons Precision Engines at Bathurst and stumbled upon there place when Googled Honda 750 SOHC recondition.
The bloke seems to know his stuff as does his daughter when enquiring over phone and has given me a detailed quote of work required after dropping off what I had of motor.
He rebuilds race motors and Kawasaki 900.s as well as car engines.
Also owns several Honda 4,s.
Quote includes having motor fully asembled with big bore kit and running so has asked that I over haul carbis I have and send up all my polished covers.
I have discovered with my 16 inch rear wheel that you can indeed fit a Honda 750 rear brake plate onto a 500 hub but not vice versa and my issue was that I needed a thin spacer washer for plate to locate hard against bearing.
The 500 plate andrew sent me was binding on outside of hub where bearing is and someone had fitted a steel band over it which I removed.
One of my mates had another 750 rear brake plate but will need polishing so swapped the 500 one for it.It was a shame that the one I sent to Andrew was all polished [I still owe him for postage as just discovered again that his BSB number is incorrect.]
I also purchased a polished top 750 tripple yoke only to discover does not match with the nice chrome bottom one but I have a bottom 750 one in black paint.
The existing one is polished but handle bar mount is missing with only 2 small holes which previous owner fitted some bodgy riser.
Cant complain as was my work mate and sold everything He thought went with bike as was in his garden shed for over 20 or more years .
The top tripple yoke looks similar to a Honda 500 except does not have the large hole for handle bar clamps.
Not sure which one is best as I have fitted 8 inch extended forks so may have slight difference in rake?Only other thing I need is obtain a new front rim and spokes as have all the other polished bits and obtain a rear sprocket same as 750 4 but with 500 /4 mountings {chain gang can make].
Of course frame will need painting and not sure if to keep tank simple and perhaps just a few pin stripes.
Saw a nice color called Coca cola brown which looks almost black until out in the sun.
Will certainly keep posted.
Look forward to next issue of Choppers mag which I guess is due soon. Theo

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Wow, those polished parts look awesome. Good luck with it all, keep us posted, Theo.

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:28 pm

All the polished parts got on Ebay from the states from various places.
They must have some mexicans polishing them[No offence I hope ] as paid $30 us for front wheel hub and $110 for Rocker cover as an examole.The most expensive part was the alternator cover$220. Perhaps hard to get as stick out and get damaged possibly?
I paid $150 for a place locally near Wollongong I think just to polish my rear hub and sand blast the centre section from memory.
Still have some of my old pieces that were chromed but most is peeling off sso not sure if worth keeping but guess could come handy if bike got damaged or someone else was to powder bake black etc.
I am currently cleaning carburettors but will possibly leave as just plain Aluminium as I am basically lazy and hate cleaning fiddly bits and with some nice chrome pods or snorkel type ones should look ok.
Would love to find a picture of another Santee like mine but so far have not found one as have yet to decide what type of pipes would look cool .Even the petrol tank on my bike looks different in that it is part coffin tank shape but rounded as well.
What type handle bars?ape hangers?
As my mates said in our local classic bike club..The headache begins,hopefully not. See ya Theo

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:14 am

Re brake plate interchangability ... I've tried a pile of 750 plates on 500 wheels and all bind up. Had not considered putting in a spacer, but if it needs to be only a thin one can see no reason why it wouldn't work. I''ll give it a try this week. What thickness is the spacer?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Have been so busy lately but will try and call regarding BSB number.
I am in the process of cleaning carbis so that can be fitted to my motor when engine builders require them.
Have you any idea when next magazine out? Found a good simplified wiring diagrame for hondas that will attach when I find it and seems it uses standard colours out of trailer wiring I think but very good none the less.Does not include blinkers though.
Wiring is no problem for me and know most colours for different items anyway and local auto electrician has rolls of correct colours out the back last time i visited when rewired my pold Triumph to factory specs.
Dont you love it when the whole bike is wired with yellow wires! Fault finding can be real fun.

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:49 am

When wiring I prefer put in four fuses... ignition/start, accessories, lights and one in the alternator charge line to the battery.

Reasons... 1. to easily isolate a problem on the road, 2. If a non ignition circuit does pop a fuse, you can keep riding.

More exposed wiring is the most prone to failure... head and taillights(Light fuse) and brake light and neutral and oil lights (accessories fuse)

All wiring diagrams happily received.

BSB pm'd
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:41 pm

wiring circuit attached.Hope this sends as tried 3 times and keep loseing.
Have posted a few pics of carbis all cleaned and jetted and ready to go when motor complete.
Carbi kit has a small brass washer but cannot work out what it,s purpose is.The little O ring I found out is for fuel bowl drain screw.[honda 750/4 sohc ]
Have painted bowls and linkages with silver manifold paint with coat of clear as had previously been chromed but all blisteing off.
Unable to attach pictures so will try again

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Pictures of my carbis

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:59 pm

another picture of cleaned carbis.can only seem to attach one only to down load so apologies

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Love the wiring diagram. :D :D
Like the look of the carbies too, nice and clean. (pictures come up fine on my laptop).

itheo58

Post by itheo58 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Thought I might add the most recent pictures of my chopper.
Have yet to do wiring, connect brakes and fit chain and chain guard.
Still have not been able to identify manufacturer of frame but very similar to Honda 500/4 Santee.

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”