Night Train springer project

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

Squid83
Interests: Custom bikes, rat bikes, rat rods, tattoos and traveling

Night Train springer project

Post by Squid83 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:32 am

Started pulling this apart for a full make over

This is what I had done with it last

Some pics of where its heading now. Different wheels will be used

ImageImage

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Night Train springer project

Post by Prof » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 am

Tidy looking machine. What are your plans for it?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks mate. Well Im running the new tank you see in the pic with a custom made low profile spring seat and a swing arm mounted fender. Skinny 21x2.15 front invader wheel with a solid 15x7 rear with a 230. Not sure on bars yet but I'll use internal throttle and hidden switches. I'll also use a tank shift with clutch lever setup. Chain/brake for the rear and up front hanging off the LED Sled Customs springer will be a ceramic 13" floating rotor amd 6 piston caliper. Got a nice little micro digital gauge to mount off rocker box on left side. Indicators, mirrors, ignition and horn relocation I have not worked out yet, the bars are another thing I'm still to decide on.

The motor has already been upped to a 103ci with 10.5 compression and bigger cams. I'll be keeping the open belt drive and shotgun air suspension. Paint wise, still bouncing ideas around

There's a possibility of a different barrel style oil tank going in as I got rip the starter motor out for a new one, so I may do that then

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Well I decided to pull the heads to tap compression release into them as they have already chewed a starter motor. While they were off getting that done I had the heads and manifold sent away for porting, port matching benched flowed and the heads shaved to bump it up to 11:1 compression. Few more bits and pieces have arrived, almost have all the parts to compete it

Some pics of just a few of the new parts

ImageImageImageImageImage

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Ooooh.....I'm liking this. Nice brake disc. 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Good to see a different springer, though the risers look a bit over size. I like the tank too. What brand and model is it?

I also want to put in compression releases as the battery cranking on my starter on the shovel could do with a bit of help.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks fellas! The 13" ceramic rotor is a nice bit of gear. Literally feather weight compared to the stock rotor. The 6 piston caliper is also lighter the the stock 4 piston.

As soon as I put the risers on I thought the same thing. When the bikes finished I'll look at changing a few things then to find tune it a little more. At the moment my aim is to get it back on the road asap and then I'll change the smaller things then. The tank is a Cole Foster tank. Getting the comp release tapped in is pretty cheap, more of a pain in the bum to pull them. I went with manual release, as the automatic would just add to the ball of wiring these bikes have. Though I have cut a huge amount of wiring out with the grip ace hidden switche system and bringing the speedo and indicator lights and ignition switch back below the seat

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Still waiting on a couple things to be able to get back into working on setting up the rear end, so I got to work on the bars.

I had Exiles internal throttle and Grip Ace switches to install. The bars tubbing is thicker then normal so once I shortened the throttle side bar, I realised the internal throttle wouldn't slide in, so I then machine 2" inches of the inner surface to a perfect fit with the internal throttle. Drilled a hole for a grub screw that goes into the internal throttle housing and will use adhesive as a precautionary, but as it sits, it's a strong fit with no play.

The grip ace buttons proved a pain in the bum to cut into the grips, lucky I bought a second set as I *#@** the first one up good and proper. Drilled a hole for the one wire to go in and she's all almost done. I've just got till the top end is back I can work out the length for the throttle cable to cut it to and run it through the bars. All in all it'll be a clean setup.

I wanted a minimal look up front, no gauges, no obvious switches or controls or lights. Unfortunately due to the narrow overall width of the bars, running the brake line internal is pointless, it would only enter on the vertical tubbing of the bars, and the short height of the bars would mean it'd be a waste of time in my opinion. I can make the brake cable near and relatively hidden with the springer so there won't be cables flailing in the wind

ImageImageImage

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:27 pm

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:55 am

Looking good, squid83. I've always been a fan of Russ Mitchell and Exile cycles. Lots of wide tyres and flat black. :D

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Yeah he sells some great products, Ive user a number of parts from him and while they been a bit pricey, you definetly get what you pay for. Unfortunately he no longer sells this solid rear 15x7 wheels, I had to get this one made else where

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 am

Haven't updated in awhile, here's how it's going

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:26 am

Orange tank on black looks striking... chopper is definitely looking the goods.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Yeah, I agree. Definitely 'pops' with that tank on the black frame.

Fan of the General Lee..?

Squid83

Post by Squid83 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Cheers fellas! Yeah I use to watch the show all the time growing up. This paint scheme wasn't on the cards to begin with, but over night I made the decision and painted it the next day. I had so many different paint schemes that would of looked great, but this one I felt suited the bike well.

The rear fender is staying flat black, and I'm thinking maybe ghosting on a confederation flag on it to a satin finish. That way it's subtle but noticeable if you're looking

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”