Most unusual machine

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

Tweety
Interests: Trike modifications, tinkering, fox terriers, camping with our Detour camper trailer and trikeChoppers

Most unusual machine

Post by Tweety » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:08 pm

New member here: 2009 Panther trike. Been working on this machine for 6.5 years. Has, VW automatic type 3 transmission. VW was swapped for a Subaru ea81 engine, injection manifold and weber carb. Roof was designed by myself and made by an engineer. Sunroof is off a Mazda 121 funtop electrically operated. Trike has won trophies including hot rod day in Yea Vic. National trophy trike of the year etc. The trike is a "cruiser", great for beach roads, we tow our camper during the warmer months. Cheers.

This pic shows the engine when it was supercharged. Made all my own manifolds on a sc12 Toyota SC. Guzzled too much juice.

This shows the reliable and simple ea81 engine after total reco. its good for 500,000 kms on synthetic oil.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Most unusual machine

Post by Prof » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Very cool set up... really travelling in style.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:12 am

8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Awesome.! Not your usual Vdub engine, either. Shouldn't have any probs with the ScoobyDoo engine, very reliable. Thanks for sharing. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Tweety
Interests: Trike modifications, tinkering, fox terriers, camping with our Detour camper trailer and trikeChoppers

Post by Tweety » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Thank you. Subaru ea81 engine for those unaware were originally designed for aircraft. Weighing about 80 kgms without add ons. They still power light aircraft. In a Brumby or US "Brat" they last around 350-400,000 kms and that's 4X4 and a 950 kgm body. So with synthetic oil and 660 kgm body with auto trans it should last a long time. The forks on these VW style trikes are extened the maximum amount legally under ADR's. The red trike below is not registerable in Oz for example.

This is a view of a detachable rear rack for the fridge...picnics with a coldie :)

Our mini foxy "Miss rosie" has her own capsule. Made by heating up and bending acrylic plastic

Mt Hotham. I love the chromed girder forks of a Australian Panther

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:41 pm

What thickness are the steel legs of your forks? White walls really make the trike.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tweety

Post by Tweety » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:17 pm

White wall front tyre is a double sided hot rod white wall 600-16 size not seen on trikes. Some things I've gambled with. The hot rod tyre was sought as it raised the front of the trike which I wanted by about one inch 25mm. This gave the squatting effect on the rear. The stock tyre on that Harley 3" rim was a 130-15 (from memory) and they wore out over 10,000 kms too often for me. When the hot rod tyre went on at Antique tyres Heidelberg Victoria, it was much wider and hence crowned in the centre (see pic below) which turned out to be spot on what I wanted. Trikes still lean over to a degree and this crowning was needed. So far 18,000 kms and no wearing out in sight. Might even get 100,000 kms out of it. Also it grips nicely and most important for trikes- doesnt aquaplane....the tread is too deep.

The rear tyres la GT Falcon size of 295/50 R15 dont come out in white wall. The next best thing is inserts (flappers). I had gone through a fair few of them before I learned a/ tyre must be inflated to at least 22 psi so the walls dont flex much b/ must be installed correctly i.e where they go into the bead to position them as far in as possible and c/ buy them in number so you can put new ones on twice a year or they go yellow or break and d/ with airbags suspension I have to let it down to allow for a little negative camber makes the WW last longer. . A bit annoying all this but worth the effort for that look I want.

Forks are about 15mm thick and are aluminium. ADR's pre January 2011 stated trikes needed to be under 450 kgms GVM. Trike manufacturers struggled to get their trikes under this weight. Hence with the Panther the fuel tank is part of the chassis and holds 50 litres. Anything that could be alloy was including the rear engine bar etc. Common extras like ladder bars and spotties were able to be added to the max weight so most leaving the factory in Gosford were about 530 kgms. Mine with the added roof is 660 kgms.

VW style trikes, when swapping engines undergo a "tilt test". this involves raising the front of the trike until it begins to tilt. Mine came to 62 degrees. This was within limits. I dont know where the limit is though. But had I installed a iron block V6 and it tilted at say 50 degrees it likely wouldnt pass. I've seen some trikes with eJ series 2200cc and they passed and those engine weight much more than the ea81.

The trike development is nearly finished. I will over time attack the windscreen with side triangle corner windows to stop ice cold air to hit my gloves (I'm a sook lol) and to stream the wind more around the roof sides. Currently a little air doesnt flow around giving some parachute effect.

Crowning on front hot rod tyre

Tilt test for engineers certificate (the roof had a separate certificate)

The front forks are alloy. Note the side "Jaguar chromed mascots" subtle additions of mine. Also note the "spot light" mounts are actually handlerbar risers. The spot lights actually have yellow LED's for indicators. The only front indicators are mounted at the front of the rear wheel gaurds so extras wont hurt.

These are called "Hawse pipes" they are used for boats so they bolt to the deck to allow anchor ropes to pass through. Ideal here for more air. The RHS now has a heater radiator for extra cooling and the LHS has cold intake filter.

These are 5 fin intakes also from boats. In this case they were useful when I had mounted a radiator in their on top of the Subaru engine (is up front now)

And why not hinge it to allow for radiator overflow bottle to be filled up?

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:39 pm

You've put some thought and effort into the trike... love the boat parts... lateral thinking.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”