21 Moulding #2...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

21 Moulding #2...

Post by Prof » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:17 am

Moulding the tank...

First couple of layers over tank front. Notice thin metal shoing between filled dent on left of main puttied area. To stop this showing up as a bump, putty will have to be built up across the front and completely over it and resanded...

This pic to show how to get sharp curves even (remember diagram in mouolding #1). Put something dark behind it and look across the whole distance that the curve goes for keeping soemthing dark behind it all the time.

Where the tank meets frame use cardbboard or aluminium to form a 'dam' for putty to get an even line along the join. Tubing (curtain rod) within which the wiring will run, can just be seen under top tube. It is tack welded to the top tube. Original engine to mount was replaced with something more substantial and much neater. It is threaded to save having ugly nuts as well as bolts up here...

Putty built up against dam...

Removing dam...

You can use an angle grinder in straight areas like this but need to be careful it doesn't rip out too much. Wear a mask.

Doing the tank side of the join. Tape is used to prevent putty sticking to opposite side and putty is forced into groove to make joint thinner and less obvious...

It often takes me four or more applications to get everything nice and even and flowing as I don't like putting on too much at a time...

Same procedure on rear of mounting...

Use flat of whole hand and your finger tips and slide it across surfaces to detect high and low spots. i find it easier with my eyes closed Your finger tips and even your palm are very sensitive and you'll be amazed at how quickly you can develop your sense of feel.

Notice how compressed air shows up the air holes. Important to do this thoroughly and fill with fine putty. This is done once you get down to the 180 grit paper...

Tank almost done. Shiny bit between moulding on lower edge of tank will show up as a shallow ridge. This whole area was covered with a laqyer of putty and reshaped. Still about three applications before it was finally satisfactory...
Should mention here that to make best use of putty, I don't just do one item at a time, but progressivley do the whole bike...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”