24 Final paint...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

24 Final paint...

Post by Prof » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Here's what the final paint looks like. Now to clean out thread sand bearing survaces that we didn't bother to cover, and begin assembly.

Unfortunately finances and time don't allow for proper polishing and rechroming of pipes, so these jobs will be done later. Bike just won't look as shiny as we'd like for starters...

Sportster lettering is thicker than we'd expected, but we still think it looks good. Hours of moulding definitely seem worth it when looking at these nice smooth surfaces...

Last edited by Prof on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Skip
Interests: My beautiful wife...our dogs..shooting..motor bikes..Aussie Rules..tattoos

Bewdy!!

Post by Skip » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:50 pm

That looks cool Prof.. the blue came up really sweet..should look good when all together. Like the Sportster letters.
Catch 'ya Skip
Decide..go for it..stuff 'em

greenguzzi

Post by greenguzzi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:14 pm

Looks great..

Here's a newby question. What do you use for moulding?

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:15 am

Looking great & looking forward to it all together, should look fantastic!

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:45 am

Yeah c'mon Prof get that sicle together, lookin good.

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:15 am

Re filler...
I actually have been using Selley's building filler. Some years ago I rang through to Selleys and was told the chemist said the difference between builders filler and car body filler was insignificant in his opinion. Whether it has changed since I don't know, but building filler works fine. You will get cracks with either, if they are in a flexible area or your filler is applied too thickly.

This is why it's always best to fill deeper areas with tack-welded sheet metal.
I always fill holes and where possible small nicks with weld.

Early on moulders used to use lead but this is more difficult and adds too much weight if it has to be applied thickly.

Re time...
Can't believe its still here, but between some health problems, doing much more on the bike than ariginally planned and other jobs that I've needed to do it's been a longer exercise than expected... things are getting back on track however.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 pm

There is also a plumbers two part filler called "Ferropi". My old man uses it for everything. Once you've smeared it on you can shape it with a damp cloth. We rebuilt the broken handle on my 9in angle grinder with it a few years ago and it is still going strong.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Wed May 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Andrew, looks like a first class job you've done so far. This machine will without a doubt kick bum.

Just wondering was it acrylic or enamel paint you used on the frame there ? It's come up so well.

Also I'd just like to say how much I've enjoyed this whole project of yours and the way you've presented the material. It takes time and effort to remember to take snaps at the right time, organise them, digitise them & post em, and you've got it right and consistent right the way through. You've undoubtedly impressed and most likely inspired others to do the same. I'm looking foreward to seeing the finished result probably almost as much as yourself.

Timbo
Rock on !

Prof

Post by Prof » Wed May 09, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks mate. It is a big job and often at night time I'm too had it to make the effort, hence the lateness of pics sometimes...

Glad it you've found it helpful. As I've said often I make no claims to beng an expert, but just showing how I do things in the hope it will help or at least inspire others. When I'm unsure I ask and it always pays off.

It's been great to have you all taking the time to put your experiences and work on your bikes up on this site. It soes take effort, but it what makes a forum work and what helps the chopper movement grow.

Paint is 2 Pac. I will go enamel or acrylic next time as 2 pac seems too susceptible to chipping... a problem if you are going to RIDE your chopper and not always be on bitumen.

If any reader out there has a lot of experience with painting, I'd appreciate a comprehensive expalnation on this forum of the different paint types and the pros and cons of each.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”