29. Polishing #1...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

29. Polishing #1...

Post by Prof » Tue May 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Polishing...

I've spent the last couple of weeks polishing. Sporty alloy is very neglected and not good quality alloy from the start. A lot of it is very roughly finished at the factory

Rocker covers...

Handlebar controls painted black and very difficult to get back to base alloy..

Primary cover has poor finish...

... and was badly scratched...

Methods used to get a nice shine...

Linishing wheel worked wonders on paint and using a very worn fine belt got off a lot of the rather rough and corroded finish. In this pic I am getting rid of casting marks as well as putting in nice curves and smooth edges.

I used diegrinder to clean up casting marks as well as round off sharp edges. The smoother and broader curves are, the less they catch grime and the easier to keep clean and polished...

Mini belt sander is very handy in hard to fget at places, but does need a decent compressor to keep up air volume. This and die grinder are cheap to buy and well worth the outlay. Great for polishing back your honey's bargan antiques too!!!!

Stanley knife blade is good for scraping in sharp conrers and edges...

Jerry put me onto using my orbital sander on larger surfaces... I use 180 grit and finished with 400 grit...

Often plain old elbow grease is needed. Using wet and dry to do what the polishing wheels can't is hard on the fingers, but the only option at times.
I finish with 400 grit before putting parts on the buffs.

Buffing... Wear glasses, respirator and hat and cover arms as you will get covered in aluminium and polish. Right hand buff is stitched material for removing scratches and corosion. Left hand buff is loose rags for doing final polish.

These are 8" and need a 1hp motor minimum 1:1 ratio. There are a variety of polishing compounds for different metals and initial or final polishing.

It takes a bit to get used to how much to use. Basically, you need to always have a smear of polishing compound appearing on your work piece or buffs are getting too dry.

Loose rag buff will grab your work so take care as you can deeply gouge a nice shiny piece.

See polishing #2 for the results...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”