35. Hand controls...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

35. Hand controls...

Post by Prof » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Hand controls were originally powdercoated and took a lot of work to get cleaned up...

Removing paint as well as some unnecesary ridges etc required use of linishing belt, die ginder, sharp stanley blade and mini belt sander...

Then polished with buffs. If you don't have a buffing machine you can use various grades of wet and dry and then lots of alloy polish and rags. Alternatively, you can buy some buffng wheels and use them on your pedestal/bench drill at high speed or clamp your drill in a vice and lock the trigger on...

I am using stainless fasteners through out except for engine bolts. I prefer button head wherever possible because they are easier when cleaning. Here ¼"UNF bolts were correct length. The 3/16 UNC you can see needed shortening, so a few tips...

Put bolt in and measure length that needs removing. Verniers are invaluable in measuring. I have screwed bolt in as far as it will go. Once spring washer is in it will allow bolt to pull up tight with out binding.

Put the bolt with the end to be cut off in the vice and cut into it rather than down, this stops bolt pushing away from the angle grinder when you put some pressure on it.

Cut to within ½mm so that bolt doesn't disappear on you. Just break it off...

Bevel leading ege of bolt so it goes in easily and doesn't damage the alloy thread. Do this on a grinder or better yet a linishing belt.

Controls are now done and with the exception of cleaning out the master cylinder, almost ready to install... one job left is to cut a small section out to allow wire to be run along handlebars. Original set up was a groove pressed into handle bars.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”