36. Cam follower blocks & engine cases...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

36. Cam follower blocks & engine cases...

Post by Prof » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Cam followers are alloy so a polish is in order... first step disassemble and label, so they don't get mixed...

Angular and hard to clean so onto the linishing wheel...

Pretty tricky, but sharp edges removed, so now to polishing...

Ah... Heaps better... Original hex bolts will be replaced with s/s button heads...

Engine cases, especially around pushrod area are really rough, so once again its out with the angle grinder, die grinder and mini belt sander...

Once roughness and moulding marks are removed I am spray painting cases with heat proof charcoal colour (same as wheels and barrels). AS it is only about 11º C, I am heating the paint as it goes on with heat gun. I've also painted the barrels, but had them by the fire to heat up. Spray cans were also put by fire to get paint warm. you don't have to worry about runs when spraying onto hot parts.

Finished cases... note how nice & smooth they now are compared to first pic... easy to clean and will compliment rounded follower blocks nicely. Also acts as further identification method if stolen and is perhaps a bit more of a deterrent to any thief who knows his Sporties...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”