12 Mounting petrol tank...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

12 Mounting petrol tank...

Post by Prof » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:05 pm

Mounting petrol tank...

Tank is to be mounted along top frame rail. I found some Hills tube 3/8 "bigger in diameter than the rail. This will allow it to sit on top with a 3/16" rubber strip as anti vibration...

Galvanising is linished off and bottom end flattened to fit lower end of frme rail where it spreads towards the seat...

Welding into cutout in tank bottom. Edges of tank bottom were bent along full length to make a better contact for welding. Tube was tack welded front and back and then tacked along each side. You need to keep swapping sides, so tank doesn't get too hot and buckle. I use bronze for this job as it is a good strong weld in this situation. Make sure metal being welded is sufficiently hot to allow the bronze to "run" into joints. Some say bronze fatigues over time, but I have done this on tanks that have shown no problems after years of work... I am not a qualified panel beater/welder, but what I do seems to work pretty well, and not too many home builders can afford a decent TIG.

Front of tank will be held with a 3/8" UNF bolt and a hard rubber washer. You can see rubber anti vibration strip under tube. I will weld a second piece of tube over this to increase strength.

Rear tank mount is a rubber surrouded tab. Here tab has been thickened for strength.

Bracket that tab will fit into. It's made from a piece of 1/8" by 1" angle iron. Needs to be bent to follow shape of tab. This is neatest way to do it.

Rear mounting tab tack welded to frame.

A couple of pics still to come to show final touches...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”