13 Chain Guard...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

13 Chain Guard...

Post by Prof » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:29 am

Chain Guard...

Although I've kept rest of bike really basic and plain, thought I'd add a bit of Persia to the chain guard... in the form of a little bauble on the end of the guard. I think a surprise is nice with out looking out of place. Guard is made from 1 1/4" x 1/8" steel bar. I like flat guards as they are very easy to keep clean... just slide the grease off with a knife...

Drawing gives idea of shape. Rough outline is marked in texta. Note centre line. If you want things even, always use centre line and measure each side out from it. Vernier makes a good measure/marker...

One side has been shaped with angle grinders. Paper pattern made and flipped over centre line and second side marked with texta...

Curves on the end where it goes around rear sprocket are done in vice. Jaws are open slightly wider than steel thickness and curves worked in. You can do quite sharp curves as you will see in next photo...

To measure up for guard, remember to move axle to furthest rear position or you will have guard scraping on chain at full stretch. Because Sportster frame swings out over chain I needed to remove spring from shocker and let bike drop to its lowest position (as when bottoming ut on a spoon drain at speed) to make sure guard doesn't foul frame.
In this case I could have done with an extra inch at the middle of the chain, so the chain will probably touch the guard when it gets a bit loose...

In this pic, guard is basically finished... just needs some final finish shaping. Bauble on end is a ball bearing welded on with bronze. Rear mount is 3/4" x 3/16" flat bar. It is doubled at bottom, welded and threaded to take 1/2" UNF shocker mounting bolt. A bit of extra bar was added in at top and ground into acurve for strength and looks. Bracket needed to be bent inwards about 3/4" to position guard over chain. I made the bend at the bottom and sharp as it looks better than a gradual slope...

Front bracket is made from same material as rear mount and sloped similar to but not as sharp as rear bracket. It is also threaded, this time 5/16 UNF. Original Sportster mount is used but half of it is cut away with angle grinder as it was much too large to match slim looks of rest of chain guard. YOu'll see that mudguard hits chain guard so needs a bit of trimming or possibly just to be bent inwards along part of its length...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “83 Sportster project...”