14. Mods to swing arm...

A blow by blow photographic account of chopping from stock to chop... This projcet has been given its own forum due to the large number of photos it contains making uploading slow for those of you still on "dial up".
Post Reply
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:54 pm
Location: Willunga, South Australia
Contact:

14. Mods to swing arm...

Post by Prof » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Since I last posted, progress has slowed with Xmas, new year and club stuff including chopper muster preparation. Lots of little bits have been done. As much as Michael could afford has been chromed and frame sandblased. Motor is also ready to reassemble. Tank is finished and moulded... until I dropped it on the cement... and I now have a large dent to repair. Electrical components like switches, indicator boxes, indicator mounts, coil mounting, fuses, oil drain tap etc have been done but not a lot to show... however...

...I decided to do something a bit different visually to rear of swing arm.

Mods to swing arm...

This has involved changing the method of rear axle adjustment.
Here is standard set up...

Image

New method combines bottom swing arm mount gusset with a s/s UNF button head bolt to push axle back. Gusset is threaded.
A fault with standard axle adjustment is that tube gets squashed when axle is tightenend. Before enclosing the ends I have used some 3/16" flat bar welded either side of axle inside tubing...

This allows the rear of swing arm legs to be enclosed and rounded off. I have used some tubing (from 504 Peugeot front suspension)! cut in half and some eighth plate to fill in on sides.

Image

Finished job...

Image

Have begun some light moulding after grinding and filing of proud and bodgy factory welding. Could have spent extra time filing is spots with MIG but opted for easy way out...

Image

As soon as frame moulding is complete, AJ will paint frame, swing arm, rear guard and tank in blue metal flake and final assembly can begin...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Post Reply

Return to “83 Sportster project...”