N S W MUSHTER 2013

A forum where regional groups can arrange their next meeting or run... When you've gotten a firm date and meeting place and time, email or private message Prof so it can be added to "Next events... page.
Bearcx

Re: N S W MUSHTER 2013

Post by Bearcx » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Pygmy wrote:we have had a ball for the last four years , and havernt made any excuses for not being there, same old same old every year, the ones that ride do it the rest fantasy land. lets see how many put there hands up for Victoria in febuary.
*#@** Pygmy, get over it already. !! :roll:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Pygmy

Post by Pygmy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:29 pm

I am well and truly over it bear, already have 4 blokes going to Victoria and you are not one of them. remember bear talk is cheap. end of story.
Two speeds... flat out and stop

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 pm

I don't know how many times it has to be said, but these forums and Choppers Australia club have been set up to encourage and help chopper enthusiasts and promote old school and classic choppers.

Every person who has registered on these forums and every person who has taken up club membership has been presented with and agreed to our standards... G rated, no attitude, no criticising others for what they build, what they ride or how they ride.

Initially it was considered whether only riders of choppers were included in rides and the club, but we decided to include anyone who loved choppers whether they had one or not... but they are clearly made aware that we are about old, mostly rigid bikes suited for shorter distances and slower speeds. No one is against long rides or fast rides, but remember what we are primarily about.

No more judgemental comments... there's too much great stuff to talk about.

Let's see an increase in posts or fantastic rides with lots of photos to get us all enthused about these fantastic creations we are able to enjoy.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Tex

Post by Tex » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am

I would like to know where you get your definition of "G Rated".

"G " rating normally applies "for general exhibition". In the Film and Video Industry it is "suitable for all ages". Sexual activity, nudity and drug use may only be "very discreetly implied", and coarse language must be "mild and infrequent"

The Forum Site is obviously set to automatically change ANY words which are considered to be "coarse" or "offensive' to something more acceptable, but there are many instances where words have been slightly mis-spelled and therefore retained in the post.

Other Censorship of Forum Posts appears to be at the whim of some "phantom", who appears to apply his/her own moral/religious view and deletes post accordingly, even those posted with humour and subtle reference. Many good chopper enthusiasts have been lost to this Forum because of this over-zealous application of an individual opinion and un-necessary censorship ......... including me.

I will continue to attend rides and meeting arranged by other members, but my future contribution to this Forum will be limited or non-existent..
Tex
(Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional)

Prof

Post by Prof » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Word censor can't do much about misspelt words. Shouldn't even be needed as everyone knows what is acceptable on this site anyway.

This is not censorship or done at a whim. Standards on this site are clear and certainly should be obvious to anyone who has been on this site for a while.

And why make a mountain out of a mole hill? What is so terrible about losing one humorous comment that was not considered acceptable.

You "tow the line" a score of times every day... road rules, workplace, public places, etiquette etc... some of the requirements being for no apparent sensible reason...
... so why would you try and force the issue (and even cease to be involved) on a site that has provided you with a great bunch of mates who you would not have met otherwise, promotes choppers...

... and asks nothing of you in return... but to keep to our stated standards?

As has been pointed out before, on most forums, posters get banned and their posts entirely removed and often at a whim!... appreciate that that doesn't happen here and won't happen here... posts are left as complete as possible, if possible just a word or phrase is changed.

We are not so arrogant as to say that others should privately hold to this site's standards. That's none of our business! And we don't try to say we are 'right' and others are 'wrong'...

we simply have a set of standards to provide a place for people who aren't into attitude, nudity, sexual innuendo etc.

What you want to believe and how you want to act elsewhere is your business entirely.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Pygmy

Post by Pygmy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 pm

so what your saying prof if it dosent meet with your approval it will get scubbed, and on that point of ggg rating tell me what kids are up reading a chopper site at 10 pm at night I suspect none. I agree with tex not that it will make any difference being as it is your club.

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 am

You have missed the point entirely Pygmy.

1. You join the forum agreeing to adhere to the sites rules... which every forum site has. They are not my personal standards but have been set up at the request of many members.
2. Post at 10pm is stays on the board 24 hours a day.
3. This is a forum issue not a Choppers Australia club/network issue.
4. On any other forum a post containing something not considered acceptable to that forum would have been deleted in its entirety and if a poster had complained publically he would have been banned. Against advice from a number of our own forum members it should, but I disagree with that approach and try to be reasonable.

For goodness sake just focus on choppers and their positive promotion.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:07 am

This old chestnut

Censorship stifles debate !

1. You join the forum agreeing to adhere to the sites rules... which every forum site has. They are not my personal standards but have been set up at the request of many members.
Prof if these are not your personal standards then whose ? Who are these many Members? and are they still on this forum ? do we actually know the forums members and audience ?
2. Post at 10pm is stays on the board 24 hours a day.
Yes thats true once posted it's there for all to see.
3. This is a forum issue not a Choppers Australia club/network issue.
But hang on, isn't it a "Choppers Australia" forum, run by you ?
4. On any other forum a post containing something not considered acceptable to that forum would have been deleted in its entirety and if a poster had complained publically he would have been banned. Against advice from a number of our own forum members it should, but I disagree with that approach and try to be reasonable.
Depends on how open to divergent opinions and how tightly or reasonably controlled those forum are.
For goodness sake just focus on choppers and their positive promotion.
I note that over the time I've been a member here that some of the people wanting to "Positively Promote" choppers being shut down over what I consider trivial things, I myself have had my posts edited and deleted, yet have seen far worse posts by others left untouched.

I have Adminstered and Moderated a few forums over the years (and still do) I very rarely post here out of fear of being censoured for the slightest expression of my personal brand of humour.

I feel that quite a few of the forum visitors feel similarly, I know of several personally that could contribute to this site but don't for similar reasons to mine.

Seems to me this site is more an advertising exercise for your personal philosophy and bussiness than anything else, and there is nothing wrong with that IF its clearly stated, but to muddy the waters with "the request of many members" and "This is a forum issue not a Choppers Australia club/network issue" is denying the reality of the situation.

Can you answer this - Who are the real and active members, and what do they think and want ?

unHap
I used to be Vague...................Now I'm not so sure

xsive

Post by xsive » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:53 pm

It is with some regret that we have been here before it was suggested by former members that an area on the site was set aside for friendly banter and not available to any one without a key so to speak ,this was the consensus of( many forum members) but was dismissed completely and those many forum members left leaving what i consider a huge hole that has never been filled the comments HAP has raised in my opinion are very valid and ask questions that can not and will not be answered...so i am now with Tex ...i will still ride with the band of friends that i have met from this otherwise good site i will also from time to time lurk on this site but as i find it too hard to bite my lip it will be unlikely i will continue to comment or post Cheers all
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

neale

Post by neale » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Ok, I generally try to avoid "me too" posts as I don't believe that posts that just repeat what others have said don't add value, but the value seems to be slipping anyway soooo,

When I joined, the terms stated not attacking other members, avoiding excessive profanity etc, which seemed reasonable and valid caveats so I was happy to agree. The terms as stated at the moment are NOT reasonable or valid, and the people being TARGETED with the current round of prohibition have NOT been breaching the terms as stated when we joined, so I'm wondering what the agenda is here.

The people being targeted appear to be the ones who been the most helpful and supportive to me and others in the time that I've been on the site, given that it is those who support others are what makes forums and sites successful, if the "better" crowd are pushed away, I don't see a lot of hope for the forum.

While I'm being honest on my opinions on this, I have to take issue a number of the previous statements, firstly, "G" rating is generically geared to be suitable for children, as stated, this forum is about building and riding chooppers, so it is totally off track and inappropriate to demand that all content be restricted to what's suitable for small children, they would not be building or riding choppers or other motorcycles, so pegging the requiremenst at their level is ridiculous. From what I have seen, I'm at the tamer end of the group that make up the membership, so requiring the "real" basis for the membership to sip tea with their pinkies up and not say anything worse than "darn" is rather silly. secondly, as already stated, from my observations, the prohibitive views being applied are NOT from the majority of the membership, from what I've seen they apply to one or two people at most, isn't this supposed to be a national, if not global, group of bike riders? Dictating rules on the basis of a very small minority's views is unfounded. Thirdly, as noted above, what's with the targeted attacks/censorship? Openly deleting or censoring the posts of a few indivisuals who do not agree with the views of other individuals is inappropriate, this should be addressed "man to man", not hiding behind a ficticious majority ( by all means, if there IS a majority who is upset about this but never post, speak up, we would at least see who else is on the site, but teh question remains that if they're there, why don't they post anything? ) There are a number of other niggling points, but I won't waste anyone's time with them, just one final point, where membership fees are requested/expected to maintian the site etc, then it is TOTALLY inappropriate for any individual to impose their personal views in a draconian fashion, the rules of the site should be voted on and imposed on the basis of majority rule. If this was done here, I am certain that the rules would be rather different.

I fully expect this post to be censored, as well, as it does not support the views of those who keep the site within a tight fist, so in hope that others will see it before it, and possibly my user, are deleted, I wanted to thank those who have given me assistance and support while I''ve been here ( even those who gave me the Dudley tag ;^)

Neale
Neale
'85 XV1000 with some mods, getting there
'86 XT600Z, going under the knife ASAP

Pygmy

Post by Pygmy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:13 am

not going to say much except this, every club I have been in and has membership also has a president, seceratery and treasurer and if you are a member you get to vote on club matters, none of this seems to apply in this club, only one persons opinion counts. so I to choose to not to engage in conversation on this fourom any more. maybe all the lurkers will grow some balls and take over the site with lots of banter,but I dout it very much as the membership list is not a true and accurate guide as to who is in choppers Australia. sad its come to this, but goodbye and good luck to the genuine riders I have come to meet over the last 6 years.

ol_750

Post by ol_750 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:00 am

:? :twisted:
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:41 pm

I don't know what your problem is guys, when I joined up Prof spoke to me on the phone and laid out the rules there and then. In fact it was the main reason I joined this forum, I didn't want to be judged or given attitude because of the brand of bike I ride, the amount of rides I go on, how many posts I put on the forum or how many km I do on a ride. I ride my bike every day as I personally do not own a car but I don't like going on long runs and for that I should not be given attitude. Also if I want to engage in some friendly banter I go to a different forum, the rules where laid out at the beginning and I personally have no problems with them. I think the forum will be poorer if you guys stop posting on the site because I enjoy reading your posts but this is a free country and you can choose what you want or not want to do.
Youngblood

jsalt

Post by jsalt » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:18 pm

People in general won't post on here if we are having go at people. If people only go on the long rides good , if they only go on 1 short muster a year good too. We should be here to help and encourage our Mates /fellow bike riders. Just as long as they ride !!
I want to see more posts not less. Censorship on this site is a good thing. My two cents.

Just ride. :twisted:
I hear voices and they have some good ideas!

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:51 pm

When you register on this forum you agree to the following...

Read this BEFORE YOU LEAVE THIS PAGE...

To be registered on these forums...

1. send an email to...
applications@choppersaustralia.com stating in a few sentences your interest in choppers and the forum name you are using to sign up here.

2. On this forums registration page...
a. Complete location, occupation and interest sections.
b. interests must include bike related interests.

Failure to comply will result in your registration NOT BEING ACCEPTED...

These forums are G rated and have a word censor that modifies some words while trying to keep their overall meaning.
The purpose of these forums is to encourage and help chopper enthusiasts.
Please respect other members opinions and builds. If you have nothing good to say it is best to say nothing.
Bagging bike brands and criticising other members, even in jest, is not accepted on these forums.

FORUM GUIDELINES expands on this... http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=66

... and an even more detailed set of rules is on a link at the bottom of the Registration section.

SO NO ONE can claim ignorance of what is expected on these forums.

Every financial member of Choppers Australia has had an initial conversation with me (Prof) about our standards in Choppers Australia and EVERY CURRENT AND PAST MEMBER has told me they were in FULL AGREEMENT with our position during that call.

VERY FEW posts are removed, and minimal corrections are made to the OCCASIONAL post and a lot of things are let through that I often get advised by members should have been removed... so the claims being currently made are grossly exaggerated...

In this current case..
a. one "sexual innuendo" was removed but the rest of the post left
b. one CA and forum member was asked after previous warnings by both myself and two other members to abide by our rules and not criticise other members publically. That is all.

Do you really want forums where members are openly and unpleasantly criticised for their riding choices... who is being the dictator?!!!! ....someone who encourages members to be free to ride what they want when they want

... or the person who claims you are a second rate rider unless you go on long distance rides at high speeds... how far would he get if he rode a rigid old chopper like many of us do, instead of a modern, large capacity cruiser? How many working family men these days can afford repeated time off for week long bike riding stints.

I have been approached by a number of people about the current uproar all stating the same sort of things, BearCX, Jsalt and Youngblood have posted.

We are about promoting and talking about choppers, encouraging people and helping people. Public criticism such as we have had recently is more like mob rule... Who is trying to dictate?

I have set up and administer these forums to promote choppers and the Choppers Australia network. The standards we have are here for a reason and will stay.

In future it would be surely reasonable to expect that if a member has a complaint that they have a few manners and contact myself as admin privately.

All who have registered on this site have no excuse. Our standards are clearly stated.

None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes and get 'hot under the collar'. I have no personal animosity to anyone on here no matter what has been said and by whom.

My suggestion is we all get on with enjoying and talking about choppers, making new friendships, organising rides and making this a place for chopper enthusiasts to get help building and riding their choppers.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Regional run and meeting arranging...”