Rattle can 101

Paint jobs and moulding on chopper tanks, frames and helmets. Paintings & sketches that express show the many aspects of owning and riding a chopper... Also sculpture... Max size 550 wide, 60,000bytes please... and remember we're G rated...
Bacca

Rattle can 101

Post by Bacca » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Bacca on Chopperfix wrote:Hay Justin mind if I copy this over to Choppers Australia as a quote?

justin on Chopperfix wrote:go right ahead.
justin

justin on Chopperfix wrote:rattle can 101.
an idiots guide to duplicolor.
so id did this tank last week.

so i now need to do my electric box, ive got some leftover supplies bought some new this is what youll need.
paint. duh..
exacto knife
lace, ebay for curtains , tablecloths, pillow covers, doilies..check your grandmas house..
masking tape.
3m fine line tape.
self adhesive spray
magnets
paper. craft paper, news paper, notebook paper.
and what ever goodies you get creative with..

i started with a base coat of silver. and put a coffecan lid on it with a magnet, i think i got it out of a speaker or somthing, its pretty strong.
anyway i traced the circle with the 3m tape. and enjoyed a fine i.p.a. called doublewide.
i printed out some stuff on my pc on regular printer paper. cut it out with an exacto knife and putt a cople of coats of clear on the paper just to make it stronger and hopefully stick better with the spray adhesive..

here is the 5 i printed and the circle of tape. looking good so far....

get your lace section all figured up and spray a decent coat of adhesive on it.

then wrap it up. you want to make sure the lace is sticking to your object. if its wrinkled up not sitting on the object it will show thru in the paint. the adhesive i got washed off with mineral spirits. it didnt seem to affect the paint as it washed off pretty quickly/easily.

LIGHTLY spray you lace, evenly and lightly. get a good 2 or 3 coats on it. lightly...

this is it after removing the lace.

i thought the lace was a bit much. so i taped off the circle and sprayed it solid blue.and made a fishscale templacte.
its a piece of constrution paper with a straight line drawn on it. i then took a socket and wraped it with a piece of tape. i drew a line on the tape as a refernce point. then just lined it up on the paper and traced out a few and cut it with a knife..
just spray the paper lightly...i think a airbrush would of made this look a lot better but i dont have one.
wheni took the paper 5 off it was all silver and i dint like it. so i used the piece of paper i cut the 5 out of and put a diffent lace pattern on it.
other side
yea that s about all i got. its not perfect but i like it.
the thing here is to just try it, use your old stock tank that nobody wants and go to town on it. get a couple cans cheap stuff or use that stufff on your shelf and give it a whirl. lets see what you got!!
Hows that for old school?

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:05 am

thanks a million Bacca.

I have recently done a bit of painting using lace curtains and was going to do up a set of pics... but this is much better than what I had planned.

Hope to see some cool old style chopper paint jobs around CA.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:20 am

Great post!
I'm guessing it takes a few days to do something like this.
Seems mineral spirits would just take the paint off as well as the spray adhesive if the paint wasn't dry enough.
I like these "How'd they do that?" posts
Ride it like you can fix it.

sharky

Post by sharky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:08 am

I am the only one that thinks lace curtains are a bit...well ghey ? :?
I know it's how they used to do it but personally I like my bikes to look a bit tougher.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 am

I like the fish scales affect, may try something like that on 1 of the bikes.
These modern computer cut stickers like the lion on my tank could be sprayed over then pealed off so no longer a sticker.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Inginuity at its finest, thats great stuff, thanks for posting it.
Rock on !

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:41 pm

trying to look tough seems to be a more recent thing... 70's stuff was really bright and often anything that was easy and looked different was considered cool... I think being cool was the thing back then.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:23 am

Andrew CA Admin wrote:trying to look tough seems to be a more recent thing... 70's stuff was really bright and often anything that was easy and looked different was considered cool... I think being cool was the thing back then.
Seem guys where allot tougher back in the day.
If someone called you a fag because you had a nice paint job, you might get a punch in the nose :shock:
Ride it like you can fix it.

sharky

Post by sharky » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:36 am

Fair enough...but to me lace curtains remind me of my Gran and the round lacey things under her flower vases.....

xsive

Post by xsive » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:50 am

that round thing was or is called a doily
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

sharky

Post by sharky » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 pm

I really wish you didn't know that :lol:

ol_750

Strange

Post by ol_750 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:35 pm

:shock:
Morton knows a lot of strange things ..... :lol:
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

ol_750

mesh

Post by ol_750 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Instead of lace doilies you could use anything that is open weave /mesh , some light weight metal expandes mesh or screens , fiberglass flyscreen. :roll:
Ride Hard Live Free
Twisties seperate the men from the boys
FarRider 413 "IT'S JUST A ROAD"
2 x XJ750RL , 4 x XJ900 , XS650 , XV1000 TR1,VN1500 Classic.

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 am

Go have a look on Chop Cult and similar sites . . . the lace look is alive and well. I really like the combination of the industrial, or garage built look (a bit of rust, some bare metal, nice welds showing, a bit of patina etc) with a really well executed paint job. I agree with Sharky to an extent - some bikes can have an overall 'gay' look, but I don't think it comes down to the paint job alone. I've seen lots of bikes on the net with lace (or over the top metalflake) paint jobs that still look 'tough'.
Nothing really matters . .

Return to “Biker Art...”