Not quite started yet but I've got a good idea

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

petergs850

Not quite started yet but I've got a good idea

Post by petergs850 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:00 pm

Hey all,

Whilst i haven't picked up the 850 yet, I have got a photo of what she looks like now and what I'd like to see her looking like the only differences being the colour (flat black) and high bars (16").
It looks pretty simple but I know that this is never the case, so please I'd love to hear some feedback on the idea.
I was thinking of using struts but I was taking to Andrew he was talking about shortening the rear shocks by re-adjusting the shock body and cutting the springs down, would love to hear others stories on how this is done.

Any way only 1 week and 2 days 'til she arrives......then the fun begins

Pete
ImageImage
Remember old bikes were once new bikes

Vrmmmpshhh

Post by Vrmmmpshhh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:18 am

something like taht would look really nice as a cafe racer!!!

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:31 am

the second pic is probably a gs750 (chain drive) the second...could be either from the pic, (so lets assume is the shafty).

i reckon keep the shocks too, i used toride a struted 750 suzuki in me youf, and it was Ace, wish i had pics..it had 16 inch apes, solo seat (chopped up stock seat) short struts and went like a scalded cat....in the end the carbys carked it and m,ade it difficult to start. So while fixing those i reshocked it put a gsx1100 front end on it (lots of work) flat bars, solo seat and ducktail..was pretty good bike. Easy to do engine work on (rocker cover come off with engine in situ).

me id curve the seat rails so they made a comfy bucket, and place the top mount of the shocks as high as i could on the new rails, maybe shorten shocks....fat bobin the tanks loks ace as does spoke wheels 16's both ends.....

Lookin frwd to seein it evolve. good luck.

petergs850

I think I've found what I'm sort of looking at

Post by petergs850 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:05 am

Whilst searching the web for potential wire wheel conversions I happened across a GS850 project from the states, and I'm now officially in love.
follow this link:

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/show ... haft+drive

I was thinking just easing into this, but after seeing the beauty bellow I'm now thinking I might just bite the bullet and go the hardtail and tank straight up, paint can wait!

Image[/img]

I think I've been bitten by the bug.....In fact I'm doing the sums as we speak, after all the best Christmas present for the kids is seeing Dad happy isn't it! (only kidding Tom and Bridgette....)

Chucky

Post by Chucky » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:51 am

That jockey journal bike looks cool man!!

I'd have to say that if your gonna build a hardtail chop do it properly with a full hardtail.

I have to be honest and say I have a really cynical view on bikes that are little more that stock production bikes with raked yokes and struts.......to me they look like a job half done and I can't really class them as proper chops........I don't mean to offend, it's just my honest opinion.

hardtail yours, shorten the forks to get the stance level and go for that low, short, lean lookin chop; you won't regret the extra effort ;-)

petergs850

Post by petergs850 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:02 am

cheers chucky, Thanks for the feedback (being a newby on the scene I need as much as I can get)

I thought I'd start off simple and maybe progress to something like this but man I agree with you 100% having looked at this bike there is no other way to go.....After all the Laverda's still in the shed for that Sunday run, I suppose I can wait a little bit longer for the Suzi :lol:

petergs850

The Eagle has Landed!

Post by petergs850 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:20 pm

This afternoon I picked up the suzi from it's home in Swan reach. It has nestled in nicely parked next to the Laverda. I'll put some charge in the battery and take it for a strap around the block later tonight. It's reasonably tidy but is showing it's age. During the past couple of weeks I have done some thinking about the hard tail option and have decided the following:

1. Cut off all rear metal except left hand side swing arm, exhaust mounts and obviously the shaft

2 Cut and weld triangular brackets (or decorative cut out ones) to the rear of the front frame section. This will let me bolt down tubes from the brackets to the rear hub (current bottom shock mounts) effectively making it a bolt on rear end

3. Mount single sprung seat (springs to start with until I sort out a mountain bike shock option)

4 Fabricate rear guard (shortened) + brackets + rear lighting (I like the look of Chucky's trumpy set up)

5. Re-mount battery, ignition at the bottom of rear swing arm assembly

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Peter, don't know how you will go with mountain bike shocks, under your seat. They will be too long, and harsh. They must support the weight of the top half of the bike and rider.

Having said that, you can shorten the shock shafts and rethread them, or I've seen on Fleabay a set of coil-over shocks made for motorbike seats. They were around $100 bucks. And were adjustable.

Just my 2c
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

petergs850

Short mountain bike shocks

Post by petergs850 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanx Bear,

I know of short bike air shocks (2 or 3" long that operate with 10-80psi) that were developed for XC bikes that needed the harshness taken out of the ride but were stiff enough to stop "bobbing"(this is where the rear end of the bike compresses during the downward pedal stroke, meaning that you loose power, and use more energy) when climbing hills. These were the sort I was looking at - I know of 2 brands one is a fox float and one is a relish.

I posted some info on these shocks on Timbo's build forum, but I see what you mean and thanks for the advice. Standards are about 18cms + long, way too much can go wrong with a distance like that between brackets, especially when my bums on the line at 100kph +, know what I mean :shock:

I haven't seen the motorcycle shocks for the seat that you mentioned but I'll probably just go with standard springs and leave that sort of experimentation to the experts.

How's the CX looking, got any new ideas for the rear?

Cheers

:P

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:17 am

Sorry pete, no progress..bummed out! Had too much to do. Took on a side project (Yam RX125), that was seized. Wife expressed interest in it, said she would like to get her licence. Can't argue with that. The more people on bikes, the better.

So, CX has taken a side step. (still gathering parts though) Just picked up a Kwaka ZX9r rear wheel, to stuff under her a$$. And a 2nd hand set of pullback bars, from Shakey(thanks again, bloke).

Will be getting into it soon I hope, RX is running, now. just cosmetics and gauges to go, new tyres and chain, etc. then off to rego we go.

Cheers Peter.

BEAR
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

petergs850

Hard tail Idea

Post by petergs850 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:33 pm

Having got the bike in the shed and got it running (all's I needed was a tank of clean fuel and a new battery, second click away she went...even took it for a strap, but new plugs will do her the world of good) I've turned my attention to the hardtail, I've had the thought that I'd make it a bolt on, my idea is shown in the photo - the yellow tape shows where the rear down tubes run (the down tubes will bolt on to the rear swing arm and again below the seat, I don't think that the swing arm will need modifying this way).

After doing some homework I think that I've found a spoke wheel that will fit on the back of the gs, I believe that the rear wheel from a VS700 in the US, it's a 15" 140/90 wheel but I reckon that if it was a problem I could lace the hub to a 16" rim (seeing that the hub is the main part I need). If that fails I have also read that I could use the bottom end from a gs750 (chain drive), apparently the gs 850 top end bolts directly on so that's an option as well (but to this I'll build a new frame as the 850 will be built for a shaftie)

Wheels aside I'll get the hard tail done first

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:16 pm

You'll have to excuse me for being so straight up...................
But not only is that going to look quite hideous, it's also not a very safe or strong way to do a hardtail.
Why can't you do it the same way as the Jockey Journal bike, though saying that i think the bolt on the swing arm is not substantial enough to take the stresses of the hardtail.
Ditch all the back end nonsense and make or get made a proper strong hardtail.

Cheers.

petergs850

Hard tail

Post by petergs850 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Sorry PC,

I should have explained it better (I know what it looks like in my head but putting it in words is another thing). The frame will look similar to the Jockey Journal bike with all the excess metal cut away (including double seat, shocks and anything else that's not necessary), I was just using the tape to get an idea of what the shape of the frame would look like (so imagine that the yellow tape is the frame and everything else is cut away), I was going to use the bolt on at the top of the rear tubes as a substitute for the bolt half way down, because I agree I'm not too keen on having the rear down bar held together by a couple of bolts. The idea is when I need to take the wheel off I'd take the rear down bars off as I piece, seat and all.

Cheers for the reply

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:09 am

Have a look at this:

http://www.ironcross.net/Chopping%20a%20japbike.htm

It really helped on my first try....
Ride it like you can fix it.

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm

This is a standard frame, hardtailed, nicely done and a good line
I'm not sure why someone would hardtail and goose neck a standard frame but it's nice anyway!!

Cheers :D

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”