Simon's 750/4 Chop, Mock up Pics...

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

SimonJ18

Simon's 750/4 Chop, Mock up Pics...

Post by SimonJ18 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:25 am

Hey Guys we have been putting in some hard hours swinging spanners, cleaning, assembling, measuring and designing our Chop.... Just a few pictures here of a "Mock up" Assembly. The engine is a dummy engine we built up, it contains no internals except for the kicker shaft, the front wheel is also a spare as our other front wheel is undergoing a twin disc hub conversion. We needed to mock up this to see the whole picture, we have decided to drop the oil tank down as far as we can, drop the seat rails too... We will lengthen another swing arm 3-4inches and also lengthen the rear of the frame and reposition the top shocker mounts to accomodate the longer swing arm, this will give my seat a bit of a set back for my long legs, Have also figured out how and where i am going to mount the forwards too etc... We will start chopping the frame very soon, been quite busy stripping our engine down for inspection and rebuild, Heather has been madly washing parts in our home made kerosene parts wash basin (thanks babe :P ) She has been doing a great job!

Thought these may interest some, Click on the pic to Enlarge photo.....

Any suggestions welcomed

Check out the whole in engine casing near drive sprocket... Must have snapped a chain :shock:

Poor, Lonely & Neglected :( Suzuki DR in the Back ground

Well there you have it, our bike so far... No idea what type of rear guard we are going to run but we are planning on making a custom king n queen style seat and having a mean lookin sissy bar too, that is once we have konged the seat and lengthened the rear :) Also gonna get this Dual disk front setup sussed and hopefully get hold of a 21in 40 spoke front rim, A rear disc is on the cards but finding a hub is proving tricky, not a necessity as the drum keeps the 70's theme 8) All the electrical is sorted with a NOS 70's headlight (similar to that one pictured) has been sourced, a LED Diamond style Tail light (same lines as tanks) led indicators (rear only), Switches & key for elec box, Horn switch/indicators, brake pedal switch and i have started on the motor- elec box loom. Just gotta get that engine build under way and we will be well and truely in the thick of it :roll:
Last edited by SimonJ18 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Mon May 29, 2006 8:54 am

Dude that is looking So Right..........one thing to mention, when you lower that oil tank, watch your chain run, you may be able to cut a piece out from the near side anyway. Very Tidy!

BACA MICK

Post by BACA MICK » Mon May 29, 2006 6:44 pm

looking sweet , not sure if ur aware but hd 21" are 40 spoke ? GC bikes 8344 7888 may be able to help with a cheap outer rim

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Mon May 29, 2006 9:01 pm

Hey simon, looks like you and heather have been rather busy since i only dropped the parts off not even a week ago. It is lookin a hell of a lot more like a bike now and a nice lookin one at that.

Jedi

Post by Jedi » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:24 pm

Looking good 8)

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:15 am

Nice looking Simon, but as Andrew has already said, you need to look at bracing the frame to the headstock.

Have a look at www.tonyfoale.com or http://www.thefont.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bikes/index.htm

Clever blokes and good advice.

Cheers.

SimonJ18

All good

Post by SimonJ18 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:49 pm

Already designed and cut, just havent welded it in yet as said here in this post...

http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... .php?t=234

SimonJ18

A bit of an update.....

Post by SimonJ18 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:15 pm

Hey guys been a while since we have posted an update so here goes, got a few questions too.

Been quite busy Engine wise... Motor completely stripped, kero washed and hot tanked. All parts and gears sets checked over, 836kit ordered, Vesrah Gasket set ordered along with genuine Honda bearing shells, cam chain, drive chains, timing chain adjuster, rollers and guides. Head being sent out soon for facing, valve lapping, K-lined with new guides, new springs with shims. Bores also being sent out for facing and Boring (to suit 836).

In the pictures you may notice we have a different swingarm, it is from a CB900, Much longer than the original and a bit wider too, also a bit chunkier and thicker. I have not extended it as yet and probably wont need to, they are a great length.

Click on picture
Closest arm is a early 750, followed by a 79 arm (chrome) and a CB900 (black).

If you are thinking of adapting one to your honda bike, it is quite simple. You will need to press out the swingarm pivot shaft and the bushes, trim both ends of the swingarm sleeve, trim the bushes (they sit in a recess) and replace the pivot shaft with a CB750 SOHC one, or shorten the CB900 shaft to fit your frame (as we did). A simple conversion and a easy way to stretch the rear and lower it at the same time. You will also have to relocate the bracket for the brake stay underneath if you are running a drum. The extra width is also very handy, as you can see in the picture below, i have enough room to bolt up a drum and a disc brake caliper and i am still using two spacers on the left hand side near the sprocket. The hoop in the CB900 swingarm is quite large so we are looking to run at least a 150 or so tyre, plenty or room for it in the swingarm, just means we may have to off set the brake stay and shim the sprocket out a little for chain clearance.

Also as pictured we have sorted out our Dual Disc conversion... the secret is to ditch the speedo drive plate and retainer ring... You will need a 1969-70 Sandcast speedo drive from honda japan to run a speedo tho, part no: 44641-300-000 (pictured below) $60RRP, or simply do as we did cut, shape and modify the original drive plate to fit. Shortly I will be posting on my website a step by step guide with pictures on how to do this conversion. Apart from the drive plate it is a simple conversion, just need extra caliper and bracket, disc, brake line, bolts, pads and some new lenghtened bolts (specs on my site) along with some sort of speedo cable retainer to keep it away from the hot disc (one pictured is a JCC home made job).

I have modified two drive plates and fabricated two speedo cable retainers if anyone is interested in doing a dual disc conversion.

Sandcast drive plate.

Mockup of Dual disc front.

Next on our agenda is to fabricate mounts for the oil tank, i have been able to modify it so it sits snug and low in the frame but clears the chain run (thanks to ozmarty 4 his input :) ) Once complete the frame will be konged and the rear extended 4-5 inches so we can make our seat pan, fabricate our seat, mount sissy bar and fender (when we get one).

***Flat fenders are avaliable from cyclexchange, decent price and post, see Suggested Components & Suppliers thread for link***

Slowly taking shape...

Is this much clearance ok? 6 inches....

Forwards have to go somewhere round here.....

Does anyone know if this outer rim is a honda rim or a HD?? it is rather wide.

Referring to the picture above, Is 6inches a safe enough clearance from the ground? I measured the lowest point of the bike, being the kick stand flange... it is exactly 6inches above the turf.... dunno if this is safe or not, dont want to lean into a corner, have her dig in and catapult me in the air :shock:

What are your views on this?

Thanks..

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:35 pm

I believe 100mm is the regulation ride hieght for all vehicles. 6" should be cool, its not like your gonna drag a primary cover along the road in turns.

Its funny too, that change in seating style and position will radically change the way you throw the bike around, so instead of all your cornering being felt from your feet, like youd notice on a stock honda 4 it will move to the seat of your pants, (youll get it when you ride it).

Re; forwards, i made sure mine were bellow crankshaft hieght, and preferbly toward the bottom of the points cover plane. Roughly were yours are situed. But im only a shorty (6'3"), this worked perfect for me and my bike is a real arm chair now.

Its comin along nicely SJ18.

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi Simon, looks like it is coming along great..... Just went out to the shed and had a look at my wheels and that rim looks a hell of a lot like the ones on my old harley. keep up the great work.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

height

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:35 pm

4" is min reg height as Cromag says. My shovel is just four inches (has rear suspension) off ground at lowest point under gearbox with no one on bike.

I scrape both sides regularly when I get enthusiastic in bends. Two up I often adjust suspension. Swinging across a gutter into a driveway can catch me out. An unexpected undulation when leaning into a sweeping bend is also interesting.

Six inches should be plenty on your Honda especially with your front (most width) up a little higher.

When working out my frame and front footpeg heights I leant the bike over in mock up stage. Honda 4 is wider at front so your pegs need to be higher than stock.

Don't get anything like footpegs, sissy bar etc chromed until you have ridden bike for a month or so.

I changed sissy bar (3 times), gear lever, brake pedal, chain guard, pilo'ts seat back angle and exhaust mounts... and I spent ages in mock up stage working everything out... and I mean hours... so don't expect to get everything right first time. Don't cover seats until you have done some long rides. With seats don't use piping on edges and make sure Heather's seat has a slight rearward slope. Also spend some time with her sitting against sissy bar with some temporary padding to get angle right.

So endeth another lesson... but hope it helps.
Last edited by Prof on Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

david 101

hi

Post by david 101 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:41 am

lookin good m8 she is going to be a sweet ride when shes done
Graham

BACA MICK

Post by BACA MICK » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:08 pm

looking real good mate 8)
i run 4" on a hd with no probs , depends how u gona ride it in the hills :D

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:24 pm

Wow Simon, lookin really cool mate, cant wait to see it on the road.
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

SimonJ18

Another Update

Post by SimonJ18 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi guys! I have had a few people PM me and ask me how the build is going so i thought i might post some content to give ya's something to read! Have been very busy ordering parts for the engine and other things like throttle, cables, levers, getting chrome work done and polishing etc...

I have also fully stripped my carbs ready to detail and paint (keep an eye out on a "how to" for that later. I have also nearly finished the mock up of my Santee electrical box, i have also completed mounting my oil tank.

The gooseneck strengthening and moulding is still a work in progress, as you can see in the pictures below it is only tacked on and still requires a bit of trimming, i can not weld it in fully yet as i am waiting for my Dyna ignition and coils to arrive from the U.S, i plan to mount the coils up inside the gooseneck.

Out with the old, and all smoothed ready for the new Gussets.

Cut with the oxy and ground to match.

In with the new :roll:

Tacked in with the mig

Hmmm... Bit of a gap :roll:

Mocked up and clamped, Needed tweaking with the Oxy.

That closed the gap but will require a couple of mm trimmed off to make a nice smoothly moulded gooseneck.

I have also finished welding in my Tags and removable bar that mounts the Santee Oil tank i have, i am using Harley battery mount rubber blocks to dampen any vibration, this is how they turned out.

Here are a couple of pics of my electrical box, i have most of the components to complete it, pictured is a Aftermarket Regulator/Rectifier unit for a DOHC CB750, these are a popular choice as these units are much more reliable than the original SOHC units, if anyone is interested in running one on their honda, i will be posting the wiring diagram for that unit on my site soon. I have a new 8pin plug to plug the wiring box into engine harness, i also have a fuse block to fuse out the necessary wires. I am running a push button start, with an external fuse holder (which doubles as a kill switch) Only problem is i am havig trouble finding a suitable momentary push on start switch, all the ones i have found and cheap and plastic... Anyone know where to find a decent
starter switch?
I dont mind how much it costs, i just want a tough reliable ride. Once i have sourced a switch the Elec box is being sent off to be chromed.

Top left is hole for starter switch, below is 3 position ignition, then main fuse holder and Headlight switch.

Well that is Enough from me! what a long boring post :lol: So bascially i have engine machining (for 836kit) paint then assembly, Carb assembly, Rear fender to mount and Sissy bar mounts to fabricate. Busy times but fun times Ahead, I am aiming to have the bike on the road for the Toy Run later this year, if not i will still be there, but i might be on my dirt bike :roll:

Take it easy people's..

"Walk your own path and let other's walk theirs."

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”