Bacca's KZ440 Kawasaki

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Bacca

Bacca's KZ440 Kawasaki

Post by Bacca » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:43 am

Hi all, my name is Steve but my mates in Mt Gambier call me Bacca because they reckoned I came from the back of Boort (not baca) About 4 years ago I moved back to Boort to be near my elderly mum. My wife is on a disability penction & I look after her & our 4 kids so am trying to build a chop for under 2 grand! Vic has cheaper rego for 250 to 500 so looked for a bike up to 500 hopeing for a Yam sr500 single but they were to dear. a Kawasaki KZ440 twin came up for $407 so I got that off eBay.
Got on road and after a couple of mounths started making changes.
Tossed ducktail, bobed the frame, turned rear guard up and fitted a cross tail light and banana seat that I had in shed for years. after a few more mounths I took it off the road & cut the frame infront of shockers to lower seat.
Over the last 6 mounths many other mods have been made. I missed a restored BSA plunger rear bolton frame on ebay which would have lenthened it and lowered seat more while not killing my back. If I can find a bolton Trumpy plunger rear I will fit otherwise will lenthen swingarm so I can move rear guard back. Moved back footpegs. Front footpegs going 7" faward and brake pedal going on old footpeg bolthole. Useing old rearset gearshift turned faward on other side. pegs will be inline with crankshalft. I am going to fit a Kawa KLR600 disk front which is about 5" over stock. It came with good bearings but no caps as he had tossed the frame, so after steering head with tapered bearing caps off KLR. It has a sportster tank and seat as the other seat got very hard after half an hour. Have bates headlight. custom blinkers and cross morror to go on when finished. Have dark blue metalic & electric blue perl to go on top. Will get mig welding done at place in town when front end is on. Hope you like it, looking faward to getting it on the road and knocking up some K's. Regards all Bacca.

4" slugs fitted to forks

Last edited by Bacca on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Chopper

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:33 am

Good to see a different make and model... which is what I like about England as they chop anything and everything.

Re rear suspension... Your shockers may be able to be shortened... see "Back gurad clearance reply..." to Ozmarty post on chopper chat, May 20th. If yours can't be, older model Honda's can. You could then raise your rear guard to take a couple of inches travel and get your pillion a bit higher, with a nice back on your seat which makes it really comfy.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

ShovelShane

Post by ShovelShane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:55 am

That looks like it is coming along very nice bacca, Look forward to seeing more pics as you finish it off. :D

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:13 am

I can get new 10" shockers in Bendigo for $100, they only had 1 with chrome spring which I pefer to the pair they had with black springs, havent been back to see it they have got in a pair in yet. Have to lenthen stearing head and convert to tapered bearings, anyone got an old Kawa KLR trailbike frame I could get stearing head off? Most choppers I saw in '70's were pomy based 500's so 440 a bit like them. Down the track when I can afford it will get KZ750 twin and swop stuff onto that. Regards Bacca

Prof

shockers

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Should be cheaper to cut down your shokers (if they came apart) or a Honda pair if you can get a good set. Lengthening your swing arm will also drop your bike but not enough, that's how I've done my shovel.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:59 pm

How do you lenthen the swingarm safely?

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:44 pm

1. Measure distance at axle between rear forks. Note... if you cut tube as it is spreading, distance at axle will increase. You may need a longer axle, but will certainly need aditional equal sized spacers each side. Mounting width of shockers may also be affected.
2. Accurately cut both arms, ensuring a couple of inches that is straight each side of the cuts.
3. Cut to length and machine a "slug" to extend each arm... Shoulder should be the length you want to extend the swing arm (3" - 4" probably) and same diameter as outside of swing arm tube. Projection lengths should be 1½ times tube diameter and be a tight (tap in) fit inside swing arm tubing. Machine edges of shoulder at 45 degrees to improve weld penetration.

4. Tap slugs into swing arm. Leave 3mm gap between tube and shoulder of slug to allow welding proper penetration.
5. Line up axle mounts by running axle through and using a set square
6. Weld (arc or mig is fine)
7. Some chopper builders use a piece of solid rod, with a short tubing sleeve instead of machining slugs. Machined slugs are stronger.
Last edited by Prof on Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 am

Thanks, I can use this metod to lenthen my down tubes as well.

Prof

Lengthen downtubes

Post by Prof » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:48 pm

Yes this is actually a photo of slugs for downtubes. As additional security for this region, you can drill a ½" hole through side of down tube near each end of slugs and slightly into slug and weld.

I prefer this "stretch" method of raking as you open up the space above your motor for easier maintenance and cleaning plus keep the bike higher at the front reducing the length of your handlebars. Gives you a little more wind protection too.

My Harley is our only method of transport most of the time and its small windscreen and tools etc over head light, cuts the wind dramatically and sure is nice on winter nights! Not pure chopper, but not really out of place.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:11 pm

New photo's of 10cm swingarm strech (unpainted yet & raining today so a bit dull) on my yahoo album, link in first post. Now will have to make brackets for tank, guard, seat, etc. It should look good with 21" spock wheel in photo.

Last edited by Bacca on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi

Post by Jedi » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:37 pm

Those slugs don't look safe to me , sorry but the boss lengths are too short and you fabed them into pipes?
Not trying to bash your efforts but your safety is at stake and you could end up being hurt.
Good luck

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:37 pm

I agree with Jedi, i was gonna speak up but didnt want to sound rude, i am glad he did as "Yes" your safety and any passengers safety could be in danger, i would extend the small slugs a bit longer or better still what i am doing is run one continious piece of pipe thru the whole lot, make sure the material you are using is fairly heavy too. Also drill into the swing arm thru to the slugs and plug weld it, just adds a bit more strength, do this both sides and through the extended piece too. I plan to do this early this week, monday-tuesday so i will post pictures up when i am done.

-------------------
-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------------

'Red' = one solid slug running through the extension and into the swingarm either end. The 'Black' is the sleeve or extension, would show plug welds and swing arm but the forum has text alignment to the left and my ascii art skills suck!

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:48 pm

OK will redo, about 10mm to one side so would have to redo to straiten and line up chain, still learning. Thanks for the help

SimonJ18

Post by SimonJ18 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:57 pm

No problems mate, we are all still learning and all help each other out, it is what we all do best and another thing that is great about this club and forum.

Bacca

Schools back

Post by Bacca » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:19 pm

School's back so its time to get into it again, hope to make it to the riverland run with bike.
(Probable on trailer till we get there as misus doesent like riding so I
wouldnt get her on back for 4-5 hour trip)
Stock forks pushed out to lenth of KLR600 forks. Engine too high. Back wheel on ground.
Forks need more rake. KLR forks in forground to go on when bearing caps turn up in mail, boots to be taken off.
Have KLR 21" diskbrake wheel (against wall behind) & brake calipor with new brake pads.
Downtubes cut and streched about 2"or 3"
Look about right? Have to make slugs yet. Bacca
Last edited by Bacca on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”