Scousers Triumph

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Scouser

Scousers Triumph

Post by Scouser » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Heres some pics I took of my new purchase.

Does anyone know who made the frame, its a hardtail with twin down tubes.
Its a T140, AN engine so Jan 76, looks like Triumph front, different triples, Triumph front disc and rear disc, looks like triumph wheels.
Also what type of tank is it ?
Any info from the experts would be great.
Andrew is going to do the front for me, thinking of bringing it back a bit, its a bit of a reach for me.

Its been sitting un loved for quite a few years in a lean to in the weather, the engine starts, and hopefully next week will drive it round to check the gearbox out, then strip it down and start the resto.

Dave

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Some more.
Iknow it looks a bit rough but it was fate I got it.

Dave

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:39 pm

I wanted to build a bobber like the one below years ago.
What would it take to do something like this to mine??
I know its a differant engine, frame, ect, ect.
But I would love to keep the forward controls.

Dave

drewseventyone

Post by drewseventyone » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Congratulations Dave

Great Project you have there, I don't recognize the frame from these pics, but I sure do like it. (I have seen an Uncle Bunts frame with the passenger pegs set up like that)

Mustang tank, hex oil tank 16" rear, Grimeca calipers, forwards... love those pipes !. It has so much cool chopper stuff it is almost a shame to bobberize it.

Whats the offset like ? (rear wheel center with the front ? if Andrew is looking at frame stuff for you, might be worth checking out)

Cheers

Drew
Acceleration is fun, but drum brakes keep life interesting.

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Thats the thing, I always wanted a bobber but after talking to Andrew, I am thinking of keeping it mostley as it is, just cutting a few inches out of the frame at the front to bring it back a bit and possibly adding a little more rake.
The rear pegs are going to be removed and a single sprung seat fitted.

Wheres the best place ( read that as cheapest) to get 3 inch over fork top sections ??

What do you mean by offset ??

Dave

drewseventyone

Post by drewseventyone » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:27 pm

"Wheres the best place ( read that as cheapest) to get 3 inch over fork top sections ?? "

Ive only ever seen 2inch 4inch and 6inch off the shelf, you could get 3inch made and get hard chromed or cut down a longer one, would be an expensive way to do it though.

offset...hmmm I'll quote " In the most basic form it means that the front and rear wheel are in-line. That is, they point in the same direction and are not offset from each other. (2): A more constraining definition of the term also requires that both wheels are in the same plane. That is, one wheel is not vertically tilted with respect to the other"

Also since your bike has a 16" Harley Rim fitted, people often offset the rim from the center line of the hub & Frame to allow for chain clearance.

If you are doing frame work anyway, that would be the time to check wheel & Sprocket alignment & center.

Cheers

Drew

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:31 pm

The 2 inch might be enough, who would have them, the ones in there are rusted so will need some .

So its a Harley rear?
Are the brakes Triumph?

See I am learning things all the time , thanks

Dave

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:55 am

Congratulations on the purchase! Looks awesome and a great base for a killer bike. Love the frame, the mustang tank and the exhaust, pure gold right under your nose!
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

drewseventyone

Post by drewseventyone » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:16 am

"So its a Harley rear? "

just the rim, hub and disk/sprocket are Triumph, caliper is Grimeca.

Andrew can probably hook you up with some 2" over stanchions.

Cheers

Drew

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:41 am

Leave it the way it is, sell the frame and just buy a new frame and bolt on hard tail, if you want a bike like your picture, why make it harder for your self, you will be spending a fair bit of money just in the motor, and even if you shorten the front end, you may not get the look you are chasing, and even make it look worse.

Do it right the first time and be happy, others up here, have learnt the hard way.

If you don't mind losing some steering ability, then rake it, if you want to be able to get into those corners then don't rake it.

My bike has been raked out a bit, and now I have to take it easier in the corners, I don't mind this but it is something to think about.

I think the bike you have bought, looks fine the way it is, it is more original as it is a one off, but if you want the bike you want, yeah they are cool, but every one has one like it.

Just my thoughts, cause you asked, please do not take any of this the wrong way, just trying to help cause I have been there and done it.

I think it is a good buy, everything seems to be there, just need to restore it all, way cheaper and you will be able to do most of it yourself, yell out to the triumph support group anytime and we will do our best to help you out. :D
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks for the replys, my only problem is it's a bit of a reach to the bars so just thinking out loud on what to do.
Like I said I did want a bobber but after seeing it again yesterday and talking to Andrew, I think I am going to keep it as it is, just bring the front back a touch So I can get to the bars. Anyone know where to get the metal fork tube covers the ones that go over the top tubes?

Dave

drewseventyone

Post by drewseventyone » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:27 am

These are the Stock type for the disk front end, I have some, but they will take some work to fit with those triple trees.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph- ... 500wt_1182

These are the common MCM Bobber type, again not designed for disk front ends, but with some work.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BSA-Fork ... 500wt_1182.

Cheers

Happosai

Post by Happosai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 am

Dave

Just my 2c worth but The bike seems to have pretty good lines as is.

I would suggest playing around with seat and handlebar combo's to see if you can get something to "fit".

A sprung solo seat would lift you up and forward compared to the cobra seat it has on it now - and be a lot more comfortable, or maybe a heavily padded King & Queen seat might work.

Maybe a set of pull back or tiller bars might get you into the right spot - as you said its your arms that are stretched.

If you can get a better positional fit by these optiond you save yourself a lot of time and money.

If you go shrinking the front end it will cost, and you may not be able to run those pipes as well - so new pipes - another cost :(

Why make a task any more complicated than it needs to be ?

Like I said Just my 2 cents worth - it's your bike, your time and your money - do what you like.

Hap

KeithinSB

Post by KeithinSB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:45 am

That bike is cool!!!
How about taking some steel wool and some rust removing get to it and clean it up and ride it in "vintage" barn find condition?
Clean off the loose rust and corrosion and wax it.
Patina like that is unbuyable.
I like everything about that bike except for one thing......
And that one thing is that its not in my shed!
Ride it like you can fix it.

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:42 am

I am going to try a single sprung seat and other bars on the weekend, we had a quick go on Saturday but I had my young daughters with me and couldn't spend too much time.
I would like to keep it as found but it wouldn't get through rego, I am now toying with the idea of a full on 70's paintjob??

Dave

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”