Scousers Triumph

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:07 pm

Its already in better shape than Chuckys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xsive

nice

Post by xsive » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:31 pm

are you after covers for the top of fork tubes between tripple tree and head stock to cover some ext slugs? have a look at the ones i built on the xs im building bit of stainlesss pipe cut on the seam slip over and do what you want with em head lamp brackets and soforth . what size are your tubes ? if around 35 ml could find ya some left over to do the job with . and by the way if you ever decide that the mustang tank is not suitable for ya desighn i have a loving home for it . the pictures are on your chop pics (xsives xs) nice find by the way
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 am

Still not sure which way to go??
It's just that I wanted a bobber about 5-6 years ago and had a pic of one as my screen saver all that time.
I love the look of this chopper but keep thinking I won't be happy unless I do a bobber.
Anyone want to swap this frame for a stock one and hardtail??
Also if I go stock, what frame will the engine bolt straight in?
Also can I just get the 16 rear rim respoked into a 19??

Dave

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 am

With the frame having so much forward stretch why not go different and built it digger style?
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

CustomMead

Post by CustomMead » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:02 am

Scouser wrote:Still not sure which way to go??
It's just that I wanted a bobber about 5-6 years ago and had a pic of one as my screen saver all that time.
I love the look of this chopper but keep thinking I won't be happy unless I do a bobber.
Anyone want to swap this frame for a stock one and hardtail??
Also if I go stock, what frame will the engine bolt straight in?
Also can I just get the 16 rear rim respoked into a 19??

Dave
Give me a call, about frame if your serious but I would keep the old one it only needs a coat of paint and it will look a million
dollars, remember It's your build it your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CustomMead....
getitchangeit...

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks but its all sorted now.
Geting the frame done at Andrews.

I started it up today, sounds great.
Then took all day stripping it down, its just a bare frame now.

Also nice to meet everyone

Dave

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:48 am

Is he paying homage?
Is it just all too much?
Did something fall on him?
Is he asleep?

No just Dave dismantling the project...

We start work this morning...

Frame is jigged up and a few faults show up straight away.
1.a spirit level shows frame tubes to be out of level by 6mm on top rear, 8mm on bottom rear. Axle is canted to left by 4mm.

2. Engine is mounted crooked. Front angles 10mm to left. While drive sprocket lines up with rear sprocket chain is running onto it at an angle. I couldn't work out how to do arrows on this new programme but this pic shows a string line I have run from rear sprocket across drive sprocket position to an alignment mark at front of frame. Line should end up at end of tab. It is to the right by 10mm.

So our first job will be to realign the engine so that is is square to frame and then get sprockets lining up... They should be pretty close once engine is in corect alignment. Because we are cutting 6" out of the frame at rear, we will get the axle back in its correct plane.

3. No pic, but steering head is welded to top tube offset by 5mm, but until engine is realigned we won't know how far out actual steering ehad alignment is. More on this later. Now some brekky and onto the job.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 am

Are these the fork covers ya talking about?
These are stainless & may be available soon as gunna change the look of the front of my Trumpy.
Changing the seat & bars make a big difference to ya riding, those are the 4th set of bars I gave run(see 4 pics), was happy the the Speedmaster drag bars but everyone thought they were stock (stock is a dirty word to me) so tried some goatshorn bars & lost my control at slow speed. :shock: Happy with the T bars that are now on it, a seat swap at a bike run moved me back so now comfy on long runs & as the lady I swapped with had short legs the stock seat moved her closer to the bars so we are both happy.
What I am sayin is experiment till ya get your ridin position right, then ya should be happy with the bike.

Prof I see yours on the hoist in background, should we be seein a report on it too?

Scouser yours is gunna be cool ride when finished, will be watchin it come together so keep them pics coming.

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Bacca, I am getting gearbox freshened up... bearings getting a bit noisy and I want it in good nick for the Mt Isa Qld run. am hoping to put on a sturgis primary belt drive I have, but the starter ring gear has been cut off and I don't have the inner case. If I use the belt drive I will have to make up a support for starter and a gearbox adjuster.

Anyone know anything I should know about the sturgis set up?

Did up a new side stand as you know and plan an inner sprung passenger seat beofre good riding weather hits. Also have had a springer with I beam rear legs planned since I first built the bike, but no time at present to do it... so changes will be slowly slowly unfortunately.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Update on Scouser's bike...

I'll let him tell the full story with pics, but here's a summary...

Engine is now realigned and sprockets line up.

frame has been shortened at rear and rewelded. Rear wheel was offset 20 mm to left. We corrected that by moving axle plates across 10mm and will make a larger spacer to bring it the rest of the way. Axle plates now level.

Steering head is still offset to right by about 10mm and a line through the steering head hits the ground 4-5mm to right.

We set it up on wheels to see whether Dave wanted to modify the front end, but he is happy with it as it is, so we will put it up on the jig again and then decide what to do about misaligned steering head.

Over to you Dave.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Had a day off work today and we managed to get it how I wanted it.

We did the fame as Prof said above, and I love the new look, it looked a bit too long in the rear before

Dave

Prof

Post by Prof » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 am

Further comment on frame... When we pulled of the widened Trumpy front end, we discovered HD bearings etc ans though "Great. We'll put the sporty front end staight on".

Would you believe the person who made the HD steering head, made it 15mm longer than standard HD... so now we have to make up a new head stem post 15mm longre and install it in the HD triple tree.

This is the second time I have come across this strange state of affairs, and both on Trumpy custom frames.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

A little update, it's been a while since my last post, please forgive me for I have,,,, oh sorry wrong forum?
I have had little time as work and a mate coming over from England on holiday, has meant I have been very busy.

I spent the day there yesterday and we managed to sort out the rear wheel position, it takes time to get it spot on.
We also fitted the rear guard with some differant supports, it's actually starting to look like a bike now, Andrew made a neat seat front mount with roller bearings inside which we will fit Thursday night.

Also as this is a long term project I pick up my new bike in 4 weeks time, got to have something to ride this summer.

Dave

Scouser

Post by Scouser » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:03 am

I can't believe it's been over 6 months since my last update??
The bike or should that be parts of a bike,, lol , are at my place for me to finish off and assemble.
I took tje engine to a mate who did his apprenticeship at a Triumph dealer.
He has stripped the engine and found the crank to be buggered, barrels cracked, drive hub knackered, ect evt.
I am just waiting for some parts to come from the states( half the price they wanted here) and it will be put back together.
I have had my exhaust black ceramic coated by Pacemaker here at Richmond, quite cheap I thought but they wanted a bit to have them stripped of the chrome first so I took them to a great chromer Bellway Brass in Edwardstown and they stripped them for $50.
I am now thinking of fitting a sissy bar, more of an Old school chopper look.

Scouser

Re: Scousers Triumph

Post by Scouser » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow over a year since my last post, ????
Kids, bullshit with the ex, etc etc, you know how it goes.

Anyway I am back to it.
Heres the build as it is now.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”