Cromags Trumpy

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Cromag

Cromags Trumpy

Post by Cromag » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:37 am

Inspired by Bacca, rougher than Jedi and slower than an old M20.....Ive decided to serialise the Trumpy build...........Ive been collecting bits ever since the missus told me she was pregnant, figuring quite rightly the Boy would need a bike to ride someday,that was 4.5 yrs ago.....

I havent got everything i need, but ive got enough to make a start...I live at the bottom of a hill so all pics will be in the shed (If it goes in it has to run on its own steam to get out)..and as you can see by this pic taken at high noon, its a little dark.

Not expecting to do it real fast, but hopefully keep at least one entry per week going.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:46 pm

Okay you say lets get started......well i actually made a start on the seat mount, but the boy is having a midday nap and with my shed right below his bedroom, there will be no hammering just yet.

So next best thing i thought id ask your opinion on mounting my rear brake caliper. yep thats right im using a disk on the rear, why? Cause ive got one. Id prefer a drum with either 16- or 18" wheel (So if you've got one for trade sing out before i start hacking into it) but this is what ive got.

I want to use this yammy XS-1 front brake caliper, but as there is no room for a caliper mount of the axel as is common and easily adjustable, i thought id try doing one like my now gone Sportster has, (I hated that rear brake- but comprimises will be made)... What i want your opinion on is The bit i propose to cut out -to Big? will it make that section of the frame less than sound?.....i plan on putting a slot mounts into it so i can adjust with rear brake, and i guess a spring loaded chain tensioner..What Do Ya Think?

ImageImage

hope the resized pics are more suitable
The white bits are what i think i need to cut out- and then add mounting tabs/webbing etc..

pommychopper
Site Admin

Post by pommychopper » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Don't cut that out Cromag, it'll break mate.
Can you not put the caliper between the sissy bar and the seat top tube???
taking out that much material will weaken one of the most important pat of the frame.

Also the twisting forces you'll add to that weak part of the frame will speed up any cracking.

Cheers.

leverin

Post by leverin » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:16 pm

wait for a drum mate,style is so inportant and a good drum work's well.
and will be so much easyer to fit.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:59 am

Good advice, Thanks Guys. I thought that because i was going to bolt the caliper in it would regain any strength lost by cuttting, still the drum would look good, ill wait........next job is to get seat mounted right. Cheers.

Cromag

Seat

Post by Cromag » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:01 pm

G,day, did the seat mount, youll notice the one on the seat origionally is not up to ample distribution (big bum) so i used a piece of an L bracket for hanging shelves and another seat bracket that had the tube piece, instead of cutting them off and rewelding neat and tidy, I welded it straight on top so now its laminated. Other bits are from scrap steel about the place. Bolt through centre (hard chromed/ although the pics dont show it) thinking of putting a grease nipple in the tube part.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Tried to slip a horse shoe oil 6tank in there today, because it had a inbuilt battery box, but will require me to cut a bit of guard out, so ill stick with the octagonal jobby.

Want to start rear guard struts, and have decided to use rear disk, but mounted on a tab between down tube and strut as suggested by Pommychopper.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

brake

Post by Prof » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:18 pm

A lot of blokes hang disc caliper under axle. It's out of the way and neat but does collect more roadd crud.

Grease nipple on seat is a good idea unless you are one of these fastidious riders who are spot on with their servicing and greasing!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:49 am

Yeah ive sought of moved the caliper around to see where it fits best, and iam actually going to hang it up top, and hopefully behind the guard strut, its angled back a little and looks like its hangin on for dear life through rapid acceloration, Plus itll be easier to bleed etc.......the real problem is how and what kind of master cylinder im going to use- Ive decided ill try and use what ive got, so it might end up a front brake master cylinder mounted of the bottom rail.....ive also got to change the rear brake pedal as i dont want to butcher the stock one........plenty to do........does any one read this stuff?

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

brakes

Post by Prof » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:15 am

Bike recyclers have lots of interesting linkages that you can take parts from for your brake and gear linkages.
Jerry (club members with rigid CB 750) makes a lot of use of thin stainless tube (instrument tube) for brake rods etc. He gets it by fossiking through bins at Sims metals. When hunting up Stainless, take a magnet as there a variations in grades and the best s/s has no magnetism.

Yep. Plenty of folks read every post that is put up. We have over 3000 visits to website per month, so there's far more viewing than posting.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

74chopper

Post by 74chopper » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:53 pm

im reading bro... can only answer CB750 questions though, My narrowmindedness creeps in again hehe... almost swapped my Gibson Flying V for a mates bonnie 6 months ago, woudla been in the same boat as you then eh.
Cheers Rob
750/4 choppers Rock

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:24 am

Yep still floatin but requiring buckets,lol

So tell me do you go acoustic on a run or bring an extension lead?
Last edited by Cromag on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:38 pm

Okay i said rear fender struts, well i got side tracked, besides couldnt find any steel for struts.....but did find some for the exhaust pipes, i used the inlet stubs (screw in and old) turned around and press fitted into some stailess steel rings i acquired somewhere, (food grade i believe), then i press fitted another piece of exhaust pipe over that to take up the difference in the push over pipes i had ....i wasnt going to use them, but money is no object (yep thats right - I dont have any)...their not finished im still trying to make sure minimal mounting will seal them at the head- so any suggestions will be appreciated....oh and i need some exhaust ring thingys cto hold the pipes on the stubs.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:30 am

Got side tracked fittting new clutch to Honda 4 and deliberating ADR's.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:42 am

still side tracked......thought id had my honda soughted, but the honda saga goes on.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 pm

and on....and on....and on.......

but on the bright side, i mustve rebuilt, restyled and rejuvinated this Honda about 4 times since i started the trumpy,....The honda is near as damn it done, ill post it when it is..then its back into the trumpy.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”