El Skitzo's HD rigid

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 am

Hey El Skitzo,

I know what you mean about preserving old chops/customs. I was in one of Murray's sheds about 12(?) years ago and saw a container load of late 60's & early 70's customs that were due for restoration to stock condition as that's where the money was. I was keen to buy & restore some of these bikes to 'as customised' condition but was a student at the time so had no $$$.
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Neo Dutch

Nice.

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Good to see your OCD paying off.

Your rear struts could be shortened a bit, and maybe colour coded to match the rest of your paint.

If you spin the rear brake fitting the line will follow the frame a bit better.

I'd also move the braided lines from in front of the top triple clamp to behind.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Good ideas Neo, I'll look into your suggestions :wink:
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:19 pm

I've actually been feeling pretty ill the last few days, so finishing off the cleaning work this weekend was a real struggle, but after another 6 hours at it, the bike is finally back on the ground and looking pretty sweet.

I couldn't get all the fuel spill stains out of the paint on the tank, so people will think it's my fault they are there, but they are definitely less noticable. I couldn't get my hands completely under the gas tank to perfectly polish up the rocker boxes, but they came up pretty damn good regardless. Once I pull the tanks off I'll be able to get to them properly.

Just looking at these pics I've missed the kicker pedal shaft, but I'll go do that now.

Seeing it glistening in the sun this arvo made all the work seem worth it. Even the current paint scheme is looking pretty good at the moment...

bendnstretch

Post by bendnstretch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Nice job :D
Trees and bikes are alike...
You can CHOP EM!!

78gold

HD Rigid

Post by 78gold » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Looking very good,
Like this one very much.
Regards
Nigel
Nigel
78 Gold

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Well I finally have started to do something with this bike again and decided to get off my lazy behind and fix up the wiring under the rear fender that had fallen out on the way home.

As you can see it was hanging down in a pretty dangerous way, so I was very lucky it didn't get chewed into the wheel or brakes!

I pulled the rear fender off and this is what I found. Four separate wires (two of which go no where?) that were held in place with some kind of black goo which had failed and so house hold masking tape was left to do the job, which had also failed. Nice...

I decided to take Brassy's suggestion and make up some kind of support to hold the wiring safely up under there. So on Sunday I made up this design using some scrap Colourbond I found in a rubbish pile out the front of a house being built down the street. Was a tricky shape to make using an angle grinder with a cutting disk having so many concaves, but with a steady hand and patience I got it pretty close and only needed minor hand filing to smooth out some of the tight curves. You'll see what the tabs at each end are for in just a minute.

I stripped out the extra two wires that didn't need to be running into the fender, cleaned all the tape and goo off the two remaining wires using some metho, and then gave them a nice new heat shrink protective shield.

You can see here the whole deal test bolted into place. The wiring saddle is held in place by the two fender mounting bolts and basically sandwiches the wiring into that grooved channel that runs around the fender.

I then created loops at each end to guide the wiring into the groove and keep them there given each end isn't that well supported being so far from the clamping force of the mounting bolts.

To me this looks like it should work, and is a damned sight better than the status quo. This is ready to bolt in once I've added some connectors to the end of the wiring that joins back to the bike.

latelifecrisis

Post by latelifecrisis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:09 pm

that looks so much neater then the wire mess before
I am blond

Darryl

Post by Darryl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:55 am

nice and neat there with the wiring, shouldn't have anymore issues with that

bike cleaned up nice too

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Skitzo you well and truly went beyond my expectations! that thing is beautiful, very tidy I am super impressed now the wiring is not even visible when you wanna find it.
Sweet as matey.If you were gettin marked on it at school you would get a pretty good mark and be doin work for the teacher on weekends. :D

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Yep a good solution.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 pm

I actually haven't done overly much with the bike lately, while I save up funds and do my research into solving the little bugs with it.

I have slowly been cleaning up the wiring on the bike though, as there were so many loose unshielded wires floating around all over it. Namely under the seat, to the rear brake pressure switch, to the coil, to the horn and the return feed from the voltage regulator. Standing back it all definitely looks a lot neater now, and less like a thrown together bike.

A couple of examples:

I just replaced the voltage regulator yesterday as I have had charging system woes. The battery in the bike is a tiny little Katana unit, but doesn't need to be big because it's kick only with few electrical draws on it. However the battery was not looked after and seriously dead, so I replaced it with a new one (only $40), however the charging system was throwing 14.70 volts back at it. The new regulator as dropped this down to 14.44V maxing out to 14.46V when revved high. This is still on the cusp of boiling the contents so I'll have to see how it goes. I'm keeping this new battery on trickle charge in an effort to look after it. That little battery could be creating too much resistance itself and in turn increasing the total voltage too, so might try a bigger battery than I need in it just to see what happens...

Still have crank case breathing woes too, so I might have to look at the condition of the crank case breathing gear which I believe is plastic?
Last edited by El Skitzo on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Gear shouldn't be plastic, but the screen could be.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:09 pm

yep stock ones were plastic 77-99 there is an aftermarket steel one made by sifton or S&S make a reed breather which is pretty cool lookin in stock size or 30 thou over
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:43 pm

After talkin to a few people, We all agree that your vent problem is the plastic vent gear either blocked with crap, melted together or a combination of these two. Apparently they are notorious for it and an unbelievably crappy part! I think my mate has a couple of steel ones on the shelf if you are interested not tryin to sell you stuff you dont need, just tryin to help you sort out your problem as I know you like a clean bike. I own a old Ironhead so clean doesnt even come into it. :mrgreen:
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”