El Skitzo's HD rigid

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 am

Brassy wrote:just tryin to help you sort out your problem as I know you like a clean bike
Haha you know me well!! :lol:

Thanks for the advice and yes I too agree that this is most likely the problem and my next task with the bike. I'm just going to test the bigger better battery in the bike before I start this little job though, as if I do need a better battery I'll need to pull the oil tank out to get it in (sounds weird but is true with my frame design). So if I'm going to pull the oil tank out that would be the ideal time to pull the crank case cover off and tackle this breather issue.

I like the idea of upgrading to a steel one while I'm there to hopefully prevent it happening again, so I'll keep you all informed when I get to that point.
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Brassy

Post by Brassy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Also check the crankcase vents bore as these are supposed to be smooth let me know if you need a pic of a bad one this I can supply ! this is created by the vent gear going out of round because its plastic. Its actaully a left over piece of crap from the late AMF days at H.D where cutting the budget was their main criteria.
Why does everything I eat taste like 50 weight ?

El Skitzo

Re: El Skitzo's HD rigid

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am

After a year and half of owning this bike and just plodding along fixing all the things that have been breaking, I've finally had the chance to spend two days in a mate's workshop doing some major fab work on the bike to change the look of it to something more my taste.

I've never liked the back end on this bike, with ugly softail style struts doing a poor job of supporting a fatbob rear fender, and an ugly seat sitting way too high. I'd always planned to use a tyre hugging British style rear fender, but one of my mates suggested just remounting the existing fender rolled forward. I didn't like the idea at first but it grew on me, and in the end I really liked this idea and figured if we could get the spacing of the fender exactly right from the rim so all the curves lined up it could look good, and be different to everyone else as seeing Fatbob fenders on rigids is pretty rare these days.

So on day one we remounted the rear fender and a new seat pan I'd made up previously.

First up my mate Tom (who's the top gun welder) filled in all the holes from the previous seat mounting, and cut off the mounts from the rear frame rails that supported the previous struts and returned all the tubes nice and round.

We welded up a bracket to support the middle of the fender behind the seat.

And another one that bolts onto the existing tab hanging off the back of the transmission mounting plate on the frame.

Then welded on the brackets to the seat and frame to hard mount the seat pan WCC style.

So by the end of the day we had the old struts gone, the fender remounted in a rolled forward position (which will stop my tranny from getting covered with road grime), and the new seat pan hard mounted nice and low.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:53 am

Day two was making the sissy bar to support the rear of the fender.

Almost every sissy bar I've seen support a Fatbob rear fender just heads straight up from the axle plate to the rear of the fender in a straight line and just never looked right to me. I wanted something that followed the nice curves of the kick up at the rear of the fender and worked with it, not separate from it.

So we started off by making the struts on either side curving to flow in with and follow the lines.

Then tied both sides together with some mean looking curved bar work at the top.

And here's the sissy bar all final welded and finished.

With the bike fully reassembled you can see that the rear fender sits nicely away from the wheel but follows the lines of it almost perfectly and not too close in the middle like most people seemed to do when mounting these back in the 70's and 80's. The seat now sits nice and low and right down in the bike, and I think the sissy bar flows nicely and works with the shape of the rear fender.

Obviously I've still got a bit of work to do before I tick the rear end off as being done; getting all the holes in the fender filled in, smoothed out and body work cleaned up on it. Send the seat pan off to Leatheroo for padding and trim, and get the sissy bar chromed. But hopefully it looks pretty neat after all that is done.

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 pm

I recognize that other beastie from the Streetfighters forum. Tell him to pull his finger out and finish it.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Check out these batteries "AntiGravity" Nanophosphate Lithium Technology batteries. Very small, very light very powerful, fon't lose voltage if unused. Only drawback is that they die if run down to under 10 volts which can happen if you unwittingly have a faulty charge system As a bike will usually kickstart and run at well under that.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/

A number of other companies are doing this technology, but this brand is apparently longer life adn longer warranty.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Triker_chewie

Post by Triker_chewie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:55 am

Neo Dutch wrote:I recognize that other beastie from the Streetfighters forum. Tell him to pull his finger out and finish it.
what he said!

Aussiehard

Post by Aussiehard » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 am

I like the new seat position much better. I wouldn't want to fall back on that sissy bar ouch!

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm

I like the shot of the sissy bar from the rear, the curves match the handlebars. Very nice.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:11 am

Yeah I'm very happy with the seating position now, gets the seat down nice and low and right 'in' the bike. The sissy bar was ever so slightly forward of the vertical so since the picture below I've tweaked it a little to be ever so slightly leaning back from the vertical.

I'm really looking forward to working with Leatheroo on trimming the seat soon, and seeing this sissy bar chromed. Should look a lot better after that.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:27 pm

May I make a suggestion about the sissy bar? I think that from the side it looks a bit our of character with the rest of the bike. The front end slopes steeply and then the bars swing forwards and then back and the rear guard is very curvy... but the sissy bar pokes straight up (phallic symbol!!).

How would it look if it had a slight 's' shape so it swings slightly forwards from the top of the guard and then swings towards the rear a bit more? You'd probably need heat to bend it, but I think it would suit the rest of the bike better.

That said, nice to see a sissy bar and something that is different as well.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Yeah it's a good point Prof and something I did think about as we were putting it together. I knew I wanted flowing curves on the struts to follow the shape of the rear of the fender and going straight up from there would add a straight line when everything else is curving. At least you only get that straight line from directly side on, as soon as you see it from any other angle you're presented with more curves at it balances out again.

I'd never seen any one try a sissy bar like this with a fatbob rear fender so I had nothing to go off or reference, and in cases like that there's always a risk it may work out great, or fail and people hate it.

I'm liking though so I guess that's all that matters in the end, and I have no doubt it will look 100% better once it's chromed.

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Looks reat, different...and inspirational
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm

The rear end is now all finished, with all the holes in the fender filled in, a quick coat of some flat metallic black, sissy bar chromed and an awesome seat trim job by Leatheroo.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Now it's time to finally start work on this 4.2 gal Porkster tank I have waiting to be swapped on.

First problem being these tanks only come with mounts for late model Sportsters now rather than the minimalist generic custom mounts.

So I've cut the rear mounts off and we'll weld on a small tab to stick out the back and take a bolt down vertically into a bung in the top of the backbone.

Up front I've cut down the bulk of the front mounts so there's no more over hang under the back bone, and we'll weld on a small extention to what's left of the front mount so we can eventually run a bolt horizontally through a crush tube in the frame.

And last but not least I want to replace the cam style filler cap with a screw in style cap, to help prevent fuel spill over onto the paint when removing the cap (which I found happened all the time on my last tank). So I've cut out the existing filler bung and this hole is now ready to be filled in before we cut a smaller hole in the same spot.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”