El Skitzo's HD rigid

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: El Skitzo's HD rigid

Post by Prof » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Looking good especially that chrome plating... chrome don't get ya home but it don't scratch or chip either!

Re tank. Re tank mounting I like to use some form of rubber mounting... When doing horizontal bolting, old style tap washers (that you used to put onto the brass fitting that went inside the tap) are a handy size and just need a larger hole. With vertical bolts I use some 4mm rubber strips glued to the bottom of the tank front and back and a rubber washer on top of the tab with a stainless washer.

Nice to see the progress... hoe to see it in real life in a few weeks.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Don't worry Prof I've got plenty of bits and bobs for rubber mounting the tank left over from when I did my Triumph the same way.

I definitely won't have the tank finished and mounted before you hit the West Coast, but the rest of the bike will be here to cast your eye over, along with plenty of cold beer :wink:
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri May 10, 2013 10:53 am

The gas tank is very nearly ready to be mounted.

The tank now has new mounts on it, screw in gas cap and bung are in, all the bodywork is done and the paint is done. The only thing left to do is drop it off to my pinstriper so he can run a nice thick white border line around all the green graphics to separate the gloss pearl/metallic green from the satin metallic black which should add some contrast.

xsive

Post by xsive » Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 pm

nice job .do it ya self?
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri May 10, 2013 1:30 pm

xsive wrote:nice job .do it ya self?
No, used my trusty painter who has painted my previous two bikes: Ryan at Custom Modifications in Malaga.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 am

Just got my new rear tyre fitted and wanted to pass on details of a good mob to deal with that might be of help to others.

This was the tyre I originally wanted but gave up trying to get one when a well known local motorcycle tyre shop told me they stopped making them years ago and are unavailable. I took their word for it and went with plan B being the Firestone I have been riding on for the last year. Well when I noticed Victory Motorcycles release the "Judge" running these same tyres I figured they must be available, and with a mate of mine wanting a Firestone for his Chopper I figured this was a good time to try and chase one up again and sell him mine. I looked up the tyre on the Dunlop website and sure enough there they are, all available sizes listed:
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-ca ... -elite-ii/

First stop was emailing the parts department of the Perth Victory Dealer and 3 weeks later I still haven't even had a reply. Then tried the same well known local motorcycle tyre shop mentioned above giving them the URL link above to the tyre I want, listed the exact size I want including the Dunlop part #, mentioned they are standard fitment on the Victory Judge, and was told they are unavailble and suggested a similar sized tyre they had in stock. I then tried a well known south of the river motorcycle tyre shop with the same details and was told they are unavailable in Australia and they cannot help.

So in the end I searched another local bike forum and found a recommendation for Jake Wilson in the US. I searched their website and found the tyre, selected the size I wanted and it told me there were 5 in stock and then placed my order. I placed the order on a Friday and it arrived on a Tuesday on my door step, that's within 5 days! I'm epically impressed. The price shipped to my door from the US was only $210.

I'll definitely be using Jake Wilson again for hard to find parts and tyres I cannot source locally.
http://www.jakewilson.com/

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 am

Why do you like the tyre?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri May 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Prof wrote:Why do you like the tyre?
I'm shooting for a real 1980's look to my Chop, and raised white letter tyres were pretty big in the late 70's and early 80's.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon May 20, 2013 10:27 am

Here you go Prof, it looks better when you see it mounted in the bike

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri May 24, 2013 10:35 am

Now that I've picked final colours for my bike it turns out the colour I chose for Leatheroo to stain this seat is too light, so I left it with a local saddle maker for him to re dye it darker and hopefully come out closer to a chocolate brown.

Well I got it back yesterday and he completely stuffed it up. I liked the darker colour but the colouring was inconsistent (which I could live with) and there were lots of visible runs in the dye which looked shocking.

Staring down the barrel of having to dye this black and with nothing to lose I took to the seat with some wet rags and elbow grease before the dye completely soaked in. I managed to scrub out all of the runs, but also removed a lot of colour.

Thing is it now kind of looks like it has a patina finish to it and looks aged and like it has years and years of riding and natural sun damage to it. What do you think, does it look like crap or stick with this? I kinda a like it.

As received:

Rubbed down:

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri May 24, 2013 10:55 am

I always like the used look of a bike... afterall they are meant to be used.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Fri May 24, 2013 11:07 am

Get some boot polish into it.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri May 24, 2013 11:35 am

Neo Dutch wrote:Get some boot polish into it.
Not a bad idea, although I'd want that to fully set before sitting on it and boot polishing my pants :lol:

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:43 am

Just got the gas tank back from the pin striper (Von Kustard) and he did a fantastic job and the tank looks wild. I've pulled the ugly stretched fatbobs off the bike and now we can start work on mounting this thing.

Prof

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Looks really good... especially each side being different. See, you pass the cops and they see the left side, they chase you up and pull you over and see the right side... and think they got the wrong fellow!! Now that's cool!

Great to see seventies colour coming back into the chopper world, never have been a fan of Ford Black!... though I'm not sure how many magic mushrooms the painters had to consume to come up with some of their wild designs.

Looking forwards to some cruising pics... perhaps you WA blokes could all get together and treat Gerry to some good old open piped engine music one weekend!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”