CX500 chopper under construction

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Bearcx

Re: CX500 chopper under construction

Post by Bearcx » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Fits ok matey, lots of measuring, the bearings for the swingarm pivot have a fair bit of adjustment. The frame slugs were 25mm each and the swingarm was widened 50mm. The adjuster can take 1-2mm.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 am

Now for the seat/back end

Because of the angles of the tank ive decided to stay with strait lines and angles as a theme

First of all I chopped off all the back end except the 2 side ribs.
Pic with the seat pan sitting in place

Then "CAREFULLY" heated both ribs and bent down and out into place
This pic has wire sitting in place where proposed sissy bar will sit

The new tube for the sissy bay was then cut and installed

Heat and bent the sissy bay "CAREFULLY"

When "CAREFULLY" bending the sissy bar pipes we has a small accident, (notice how I have been highlighting "CAREFULLY"?
To do the heating for the bending Ive been using an old BULLDOG BLOW TOURCH,
These things run on petrol and when you tip them over theres a risk of the petrol spilling out, and thats exactly what happened here, It was a lot worse than seen in this picture but I was laughing so much I couldnt grab the camera and take a pic, Notice the bottom of the wheel is also on fire

Final result? Preety sweet I think

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:00 am

Wooops Last pic doesnt quite showthe reults, I will post a new pic tonight

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 am

This pic is slightly better

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Looking good mate.
Any ideas for the exhaust?
Forwards are difficult. Trust me.. 8) You could weld highway pegs on the exhaust, leave shifter where it is.
Staying with those 'bars?

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:56 pm

The forward controls are already sorted, I will post pics of it another day but thier working just fine and I used the simplest way, All ive done is weld a piece of flat to an original gear lever so it points strait down to just below the engine, then welded another piece of flat from the first piece atthe back of motor to just infront of motor, then a piece of flat strait up and piviting on a bolt protuding from the forward control frame, Then welded on a custom made lever just below the bolt, Sounds complicated but its the easiest way I could figure it out without having levers and pivot points all over the place

The exhausts are going to be heat wrapped 2 inch all the way from the engine to just about where the old front footpegs use to be, Then they will have a slight downturn and be cut off just there and thats it, NO baffles or anything, Now I can hear people already screaming "YA CANT DO THAT COZ ITS TOO LOUD" or "YA CANT DO THAT COZ THE ENGINE WILL RUN BADLY"

HOGWASH I say, Out here theres no such thing as too loud, My shadow has strait thru exhausts , original size I will admit but they have got me thru the last 2 years like that and the old girl will still crack the old ton when called up and who needs any more than that? and she will sit on 140 klicks all day and has done on several ocassions

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:00 pm

AND if you look closely at the last pic I posted the forward controls are alread in place and working but I will post a better pic of this another night

eddiehob

Post by eddiehob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Good Job
Hi what did you do with the drive shaft to lengthen it.
Cheers

Southy

Post by Southy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Looking good mate, I like the pic where someone has written Harley wanna be hahaha

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah funny aint it, these guys dont know thier chopper history , and every time they write something on it I rub it of and they put something else on it, The last one was a WRITTEN OFF VEHICLE notice,

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Heres a couple of pics of the lighting im going to have on this chop

First of all heres the first shot of the headlight, mirrors and new brake master, new brake lines, Indicators fitted,

What? You cant see the indicators? well heres a clearer different angle shot, See em yet?

the only thing that is missibg from this photo is the speedo,
Ok if ya couldnt see the incdicators in that pic Iwill give you a hint for the next photo, Thier on the top tripple tree where the tightning bolt for the shock tube goes

And for a shot of the rear

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 pm

SORRY for dragging my feet on this job, But Ive now got to the stage of its all fabricated, everything works,
Time to strip and start final welding, clean up then paint and reasemble,

Heres A few pics of the thing just before I pulled her completely to pieces again

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:17 am

Mate, with those short exhausts and no baffles, you may want to consider a carb re-jet. With no back pressure, you may run lean, and that "may" cause a donut piston.

Textahead

Post by Textahead » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Bear, The carbs ARE being re-jetted, Sending them away to be completely gone thru and the guy doin them will do all that as well, The cx500 shadow I ride has no baffles but the pipes are a little longer than on the chopper but Ive had no probs in 15,000k, Those are not the actual exhaust pipes i will be using on this project, They will be 2inch all the way, but follow the same path and length as those in the pic

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 am

Re "harley wannabe"... why be a second rate Harley when you can be a first rate CX!

Bike is looking "the goods", nice proportions and stance in my books... forwards seem pretty low though and cops might be 'drawn' to the pointy sissy bar.

I sat on a Moto Guzzi the other day... I've always wanted to chop one... the upright cylinders like the CX allow for forwards. Would make a very cool chopper... hmmm one day!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”