Ozmarty's XS650 bobber

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

SimonJ18

Ozmarty's XS650 bobber

Post by SimonJ18 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:01 am

I have been currently working with Ozmarty on his Yamaha XS650 Bobber and we have been making some changes to it, made alot of plans for the near future and have discussed paint scheme's for a proposed paint job next winter, one thing is for sure, look out!! Marty has some excellent ideas and knows exactly how he wants the bike to look and flow, this is going to be one tough XS Bobber :) You can read up more about how marty came across his donor bike here in this existsing thread http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... .php?t=305

First thing was to figure out some sort of mounting system, i opted to use the existing indicator bushing holes, once that was sorted it was on to repairing the rear fender, Marty has cut the fender to the length he wants it, just a matter of straightening her up...

Click on image for larger view
I pinched these rubbers from a set of universal hidden tank mounts i make, these rubbers are similar to those used on softail tanks.

Rubbers fit perfectly and backed by a large washer are going to make a sturdy mount for the fender.

Holes to be welded, the slit is for a tail light assembly to feed through.

Holes and split lip welded, time to form lip into shape on forming dolly, lots of bog from old repairs!

Too much bog, decided to strip it and do it properly, easy to braze and smooth plugged holes.

Inside was also stripped, no time for sandblaster so this one copped a coat of deoxidine.

Slapped a coat of 1k primer on it to check repairs and keep corossion off, having the panel one uniform colour helps identify further repair or shaping if needed (which it did).

Marty has cut the rear of the frame to his liking, I have smoothed up the end of the rails, we plan to machine up removable frame cap ends with a acorn/domed top that slides into the frame and is retained with 2 grub screws, this will allow us to remove them and slide a removable sissy bar into the frame, specially designed for those long trips where you need somewhere to strap on your gear.

These rails were smoothed with a series differently graded novaloc discs and finished with a 180grit flap wheel.

we drew up and designed our templates for the rear fender struts on graph paper and cut them out in thin cardboard, i do not recommend corrigated cardboard, i like to use the cardboard found on cereal boxes, that type of card is cheap and readily avaliable at craft stores, newsagents and discount variety stores. The thinner card gives a clean sharp edge and a more accurate piece in the end.

Fitted in Card....

Happy with the fit, we transferred our design to plate steel.

All travelling smoothly i went on to making a rubber gasket to fit between the tail light assembly and inner rear fender..

I have this stuff by the roll, it is woven rubber, 4mm thick and comes in very handy, grab it by the metre at clark rubber.

Now that is all done, time to mock the rear up... make a timber spacer block for tyre to fender gap, carefully align fender and mark it all so the struts can be tacked into place with the mig.

Bike is sitting level now... But oops made a boo boo, lip of fender needs a tweak and found a high spot in the steel.

I dunno bout you guys, but damn that is a nice tail light, Nice choice Marty!

Below is the rear fender removed and struts tacked in place...

That's it for now.... Have had Marty's bike here for a couple of weeks but i have had my workshop ripped apart to install my new lathe and milling machine, that is all over so expect some more posts on marty's project soon, custom electrical box, konged seat rails, seat pan and forward controls are all on the to do list, Hope you enjoyed 8) Ride on.

Bacca

Post by Bacca » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:14 am

Hay Ozmarty that 650 wii look slick when finished!
Great to have another project to check out, keep it coming Simon.
Enjoying the read, Bacca

leverin

Post by leverin » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:03 pm

thank's bacca simon has been on to me for ages to do writeup with photo's but as i'm such a slack bum he couldn't wait any longer.
now i'll leave it to the master as hav gone as far as i can without help.

david 101

HI

Post by david 101 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:37 am

G'Day Ozmarty, she's starting to take shape.looking forward to getting a look at her, bet you cant wait to get your leg over and take her for a good ride. catchya out there.
Taz

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”