Honda VT600 - The Heart Breaker.

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

J.C.A

Honda VT600 - The Heart Breaker.

Post by J.C.A » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm

i have been poking about here for a while as a guest and thought it was about time i registered and join in on the fun and games.
This is some thing i have been working on over the past few months and thought i'd post it up. It is a Honda Shadow VT600.

most of these pics are from my phone so the quality isnt the best but they will do.

When it showed up it was an immaculate, un-molested clean bike.

6 days later i made a start on it.

The motor went to live on the bench for a while.

The rolling frame went off to work and got chopped.

[hr]
the seat i ordered on line finally turned up.

a mate tig'd up the seat hinge after work while i still had some cars to get done.

made up a bar to make it ridgid while i have it as a rolling frame to find the stance that i want.

New rear fender turned up and was about an inch wider than i wanted it so i sectioned it down the middle and welded it back together when i was satisfied with the width.

rear fender is mounted up and ready to go.
i also got my tig on and made up a bracket for the seat springs and the mount for my tail light and licence plate.

while all this was going on i was playing with a few other things.
these are intake tube idea's that i made at work - the round one made it in the end because i dont have the tooling at work to make the frog mouth look clean enough, but it would have been cool tho.

[hr]
i also managed to go through a heap of beer while getting all the factory paint/ lacker off all the polishable alluminium. i dont go crazy polishing it, just wanted it to shine a little.

after i painted the motor black and i had finished mildly polishing the parts i wanted to sparkle i gave them a work out with the engraver.

J.C.A

Re: Honda VT600 - The Heart Breaker.

Post by J.C.A » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:44 pm

i managed to get my top triple clamp, risers and controls all finished on the engraving side of things, i will have to get a better pic tho because i didnt get the risers or controls in the pic.

got the paint layed down on saturday with the help of a mate out at his shed so the heart breaker and i had a little outing together.

the old girl on the trailer heading out to his shed. had to stop in at the bike shop and get a mate there to break the chain off the swing arm because it had no joining link. had to stop in anyways to buy a joining link so i figured he may as well knock one out to save me cutting it.

The frame, engine mounts and seat mount all got painted in the most glossiest and blackest 2k paint i have ever seen - its mental. he have to get some more of it because we ran out before we got everything we wanted to get painted done. i did all the prep work with sanding and priming and he layed on the colour.

all done and ready to put back together. pics dont do the black justice.

we also managed to the tank and fenders done too. i went down to the paint shop and explained what i wanted and showed him a couple of pictures of what i was looking for and he got to work on a custom cherry red candy mix for me.

i gotta say, for someone that says he only "goes alright with a spray gun" he is badass at laying down candy. in my eyes it came up amazing, i am in love. i cant spot anytihg wrong with any of them but he has held on to the tank and guards and wants to re-paint them so they are "perfect". he is seeing something i am not but hey, if someone wants to make sure they do their best on your stuff then why argue - they are a dying breed.

couple of mock up pics before i put the roller on the trailer and brought it home again.

i will leave it alone for a few days then hopefully by the end of the week i will put the motor back in and start to re-wire it all so its all hidden and looking as baller as the rest of it.

xsive

Post by xsive » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 pm

i see the problem with the paint . It's a bit cloudy on the right hand side :wink:
IM NOT CRAZY ITS JUST OTHER PEOPLES PERCEPTION OF MY NORMALITY THAT DIFFERS

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 am

Wow nice work! That ingraving is incredible!
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Cromag

Post by Cromag » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Lookin frwd to see it together.
Does not work or play well with others
Loud pipes save lives
"These are not the Droids you're looking for"

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Sweet.! Used to have a blue one, same model. Wish I had kept it.

How many times have y'all heard that line?? :lol:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Great loking job... should be a tidy chopper once done.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

J.C.A

Post by J.C.A » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:21 pm

not much to update. managed to get the motor back in without scrating the frame :)

tank and fenders are repainted - holy crap they are amazing, so much more deeper and glassy. also went a little darker this time. no pics yet, phone was dead when i went out there.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Meant also to say how terrific the engraving looks.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

J.C.A

Post by J.C.A » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Prof wrote:Meant also to say how terrific the engraving looks.

Thank you Prof, there is a lot of work in it. there is around 45 hours in the motor in engraving - not including polishing or design work.
Its a lot of tedious work but the finished product is well worth it.

eddiehob

Post by eddiehob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Nice Job Mate ,love the colour and the engraving .
cheers
Eddie

dg6oo2

Post by dg6oo2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 am

Love your work, i was looking at a 600 meself very customiseable ride indeed, good to see engraving coming back looks excellent.
friends welcome family by appiontment only.

Southy

Post by Southy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Looking good mate, I have a '94 VT600, I wouldn't mind shortening my rear fender, and changing controls.

But you sir have made what is shaping up to be a beautiful thing, top work

J.C.A

Post by J.C.A » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

thank you for the kind words.
they are a great base to work with.

i dont have a lot to post up because i have been busy with work, but i did manage to pick up a set of Biltwell trackers off a very good friend of mine.
i couldnt help myself, i had to roll it outside and mock it up a little and i must say i am very happy with it.
after the pics i opened a couple of beers and started to run all the wiring, cables and got a few of the water lines back in place. getting there slowly.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”