Shovelhead chopper rebuild. Picture intensive!

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

Bearcx

Re: Shovelhead chopper rebuild. Picture intensive!

Post by Bearcx » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22 pm

That is awesome.

Love the shot of the Avon tyre, looking up at the Rectangular lights. Real '70's feel.

Glad you got your timing issue sorted. What was the cause? Valves not opening ?
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Post by gsand » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Bearcx wrote:That is awesome.

Love the shot of the Avon tyre, looking up at the Rectangular lights. Real '70's feel.

Glad you got your timing issue sorted. What was the cause? Valves not opening ?
Sort of, the solid lifters I bought and put in there.. were hydraulics :oops: . Just unblocked the oil feed to the lifterblocks, set the pushrods 4 turns tighter, fired right up...

I bought them online, sold as solid, I never doubted it... I went through everything on this damn bike before I discovered this. I now know the whole thing inside and out and I'm able to set static advanced timing and points, one handed and blindfolded :lol:

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Good to hear the bike is up and running, well done Glenn we now know where to go if we can't get our bikes going. :twisted: Bike's looking good.... 8)
Youngblood

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Well it's been a long time between posts in this thread. Basically the bike has been on the road with no problems and I've put a good number of miles on it! Right now coz its bloody freezing It's just getting some winter work done on, mainly fixing up the stuff I rushed to get it on the road quick last year.

I had to do something about the exhaust situation ( I needed mufflers ) So I decided to make my own mufflers and exhaust. I wanted to do some upswept exhausts which is a problem with swingarm frames as the shocks sit out wide. After mucking around with some bends and tube, I had the pipe clearing the shock by a few MM and I was happy with the look. The top pipe does sit out a little bit, but it still leaves plenty of room for the kickstarter. I will need to review my passenger footpegs as the right one is useless now. :roll: New pipes are megaphones, I am making my own removable muffler for them. The mufflers knock the sound level way down to a very acceptable level, but will be easily removable with a single bolt.

I've written up a how to article on how to make your own megaphones in the "Fits n Bits; General" sub forum http://www.choppersaustralia.com/forum/ ... =24&t=7907

Some other little jobs that are happening at the moment:

-Remaking the rear master cylinder bracket, replacing the ugly temporary fix I made 2 years ago.
-Welding a tab on to hold my brake light switch - currently held on with cableties :lol:
-Making my own primary belt cover that is strong enough for the bike to slide on, but able to be completely removed from the bike without dismantling the clutch basket (a pain on Harley big twins)
-Re-gearing the final drive to make it much more suitable for the highway. Current gearing is 22:51 which Prof described as "good ratio for sand drags" 8) 8) 8)

See you all in a bit, once the muffler inserts are finished I'll make another post.

Regards,

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Posted the same pic twice above. This is what I meant to post.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”