Shovelhead chopper rebuild. Picture intensive!

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

gsand
Interests: Riding bikes.

Re: Shovelhead chopper rebuild. Picture intensive!

Post by gsand » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Aint been able to get on the computer much this week but here is a brief update with more pics!!

I finished fabricating the battery box, and decided to narrow it to a bit. This means I cannot fit a larger battery any more if I need to, but I'll cross that bridge if it ever happens!

Here is the deal before I added gussets to the front mount. You can see the battery in it's home and the ignition switch on the right hand side.

Filler neck needed to be cut down from this pic.

Checking for clearance with an inner primary.

Last saturday I wen't down to Prof's to get his help on the fittings. I wanted right angle fittings that sat close to the round oil tank so we came up with this idea. Prof expertly brazed them into their new home - Thanks Prof! It's 1/2" square bar ( I think) that was drilled from two sides, one side for a barb to go into, and the other into the oil tank - though a hole drilled into the tank before brazing.

The Vent and Return lines

And the Feed line

Whilst we finished up the welding at almost midnight, we still had to wait for the welds to cool before I could chuck it in my car and make the trek home. Prof had to get fuel in his Shovel so he offered it to me to go for a quick blast on it. Prof took the CB500 Chopper and we headed out into the darkness to fill both tanks. It was a beautiful night with hardly a soul on the road, could have just kept going!

Here's the drain plug Prof turned up for me on the lathe, It has a groove turned into the lip to hold an O-ring. I welded it with my crappy welder...

Gave the tank a quick spot of filler, hit it with some paint that proceeded to turn wrinkly in some places, and threw it on for now. I've given up trying to paint anything nicely at this stage, anything I do paint always has something go wrong with it... Oh well at least it isn't going to rust. Also here the filler neck has been cut down slightly, it got in the way of my leg. Oil tank cap with temperature gauge in the top of it.

Here you can see a little running light that I'm toying with the idea of. I have two of them and Might stick one on the other side. It's just something a little extra huh, something different.

That's it for now i'm Sorry - On and Off just to give you an update.

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Well now I have a seat to sit on!

Wen't down to Prof's last weekend and He sorted me out with some 2" consolidated foam for the seat pan I brought with me. The seat pan is half an old cobra seat with extra welded on to the back to shape to the fender. Originally I was going to round the edges of the foam, but in the end I decided against it and kept it square. For a shorter person the sharper edges might cut into thighs, but I am tall so it isn't an issue for me.

With the foam in place I made some patterns using baking paper, transferred them onto some marine vinyl and added 1/2" seam allowance.

In true home built chopper style, I stitched it all up with some help from Mum, on a 1970's Singer Fashion Mate with a leather needle. I set up the side and top pieces of vinyl around the foam seat using bulldog clips. I bought a tub of 100 from Officeworks for a $6 and used about 60 to clamp the whole seat around the seams. The clips hold everything in their place, and once you get the stitch started you just go along and pop off each clip when the foot approaches.

Cover finished

Here it is slightly pulled over the foam and glued to the underside of the seat. The seat cover isn't perfect, but I think it's pretty damn good for my first attempt. It's going to get used and abused anyway... I didn't take any pics of it but there is thin rubber beading (avaliable from Clark Rubber) all the way around the edge of the steel seat base, to stop the vinyl rubbing on it and tearing.

Here's how it all mounts, there is a tab that slides under the seat tube casting at the front, then you slightly bend the back of the seat forward and push down - the steel pin sticking out the back slots into a bracket inside the fender cowling. Pretty smart huh 8) 8)

In the fuel tank department, I started stripping the paint from the 3.5g twin tanks I was going to use. They ended up being FULL of dents and old braze repairs, so they wont be used. I'll point out there that I was only going to use them because it's what I had on hand. Now I'll make the move to do something else. I quite like the coffin/prism tanks, and small peanut tanks look great but I really desire fuel capacity. I borrowed this tank from Prof to try out, but not sure yet what I'm going to do.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:18 am

Fantastic job on the seat !! Looks like a pro did it.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44 am

I'm running the exact same battery in my bike due to clearance issues.

Great job on the rear fender!! That's as good a replica of a Crazy Frank fender I've ever seen and looks fantastic!
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

gsand

Post by gsand » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks guys!

El Skitzo, I could have copied the crazy frank almost exactly - but they push the riding position forward are quite short in the rear end. It was a bit of sketching to get a happy medium of seating position (the same as a stock FX rear fender with cobra seat) and rear guard length, which is slightly shorter than required but not too obvious. The fender looked a bit thin by itself but with the seat mounted it makes it look alot better I think.

The batteries are pretty thin, Have you had any issues with yours? I suspect we are in a very similar electrical situation: Kick start, basic lights and Points?? The only thing I'm wondering about is the ability to run both my headlights at once. If I can safely do it with the output of the alternator and the small battery that'll be great. If not, I'll just bang a brighter globe in one of em and switch between.

Quick calculation reveals that 2x55w globes running at 13.8V will draw 7.97A. Add <1A for tail light, the occasional <2A for brake light plus whatever points ignition uses... I think we may be alright 8)

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:33 pm

The more I look at it the more I like your rear fender better than the originals, it has better coverage of the tyre and follows the curve better. Again, very well done.

As for the battery yes I'm in the same boat, points ignition and only a headlight and taillight to power. In my case with the Evo stator it's probably receiving a little too much in the way of amps so I always ride with the high beam on to try and wash some of that off, so in your case with dual headlights you'll be fine.

I think I've been through 3 of these batteries since I've had the bike but admittedly there have been long periods of the bike sitting while project work has gone on, and they're so damn cheap you can afford to replace them at every oil change anyway

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Maybe you could run the twin rectangular lights on the front? Or some running lights..? Change your taillight to a twin globe unit? Will draw a bit more juice. :D

gsand

Post by gsand » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 pm

I got another present from Mr. UPS man today, a king sportster tank. Let me make it known that I still think these are butt ugly from any angle other than side-on, but It's the way I've chosen to get a high mount fuel tank with good capacity. I never considered a King sporty because I just looked wrong,until I saw this bike from the deathwheelers blog, the king sportster redeemed itself a little... The guy also stole my awesome idea of a chopped down primary cover!! Might just have to do that too... http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2S2gpkDfDRk/U ... to+(2).JPG

Standard sportster tanks are definately "the look" but just don't hold enough fuel. This one is rated at 3.1 gallons. I am still waiting on a new filler neck that will be welded up at the highest point of the tank, and I have a 3/8NPT (stock harley) fitting to weld into the lowest point for the petcock. Given that my 3.5g twin tanks were all dented up underneath the paint, I could never fill them all the way, and there was alot of fuel that was wasted below the pickup - I think this tank might actually see me get more even more range...

To stick on top I ordered a vented filler cap with a weld on neck from bungking. It's neat and tidy, proper vented cap (not just a hole drilled into it) and for the price it's not worth the trouble of making.

Next we are onto the exhaust... No work has begun here yet, I'm going to supply myself with some more equipment in the shed before I tackle this. Yes I've done exhausts in the past from bends and straight tube, but it always resulted in filling big gaps with the welder and lots of cleanup work after to make them look almost good. This time I want to get setup for the future. I've got my eyes on a combination disc sander/linishing belt that will help me make butt joints in tube perfect. Another thing on my shopping list.... something I've wanted to try for a long time... Say it with me, all together: TIG!! Yes, there are some good scratch-start DC TIG welders around nowadays, they do not have the luxury of a foot control or AC for welding aluminium, but I think that'll make the basics easier to learn.

My reasoning for getting into TIG welding... basically It comes down to gas. I got sick of doing dirty welds with my gassless 'mig' and was going to grab an argon mix for it and go to town. All fine and dandy for mild steel, but then stainless throws a curveball wanting it's own expensive welding wire and gas mix for ideal welds. Looking at TIG, 1 bottle of straight up argon, and just use the correct filler rod for the material. It is also possible to autogenous welds (no filler) if the fit of joints is very good. Anyway it's something I've wanted to learn for a while, I've got my pondering hat for a few days before the decisions turn into dollar signs :|

Neo Dutch

Post by Neo Dutch » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:56 am

I sold my WR500 and bought a AC/DC HF TIG with the money. It's brill.
Don't let your luggage define your travels.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:46 am

That tank look great on there to me

gsand

Post by gsand » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Got most of the work done today on the fuel tank. I started by cutting down the original filler neck and cut out some sheet steel to blank it off with. This is 1mm steel and cut out by hand with snips. I could have cut the filler flush with the top of the tank, but by leaving it proud lets me smooth over the flat spot easier that is stamped into the tank shell. With a few more bits of sheetmetal shaped and tacked on, it'll just need a skim of filler and you wont even know.

Screw in filler neck and cap from bungking.com

Its new home right at the highest point of the tank to allow maximum fuel capacity.

Due to excessive enthusiasm we now fast forward to this evening after taking the bits down to The Chopper Shed. Got far to busy working away and forgot to take any pictures as always. I turned down the fuel tap bung, drilled a hole and finished the shape of it with a die grinder. It needed to be shaped by hand due to the angle of the fitting needed to clear the frame rails looking from the top, and sit inline with the tank from the side. The tap I am using will have a 90* hose fitting on it to make the fuel line run much smoother.

I also turned down much of the thickness of the new filler neck as it was far too heavy. Prof brazed on the filler neck and the tap fitting, while the tanks original filler and tap fitting were steel welded using the Henrob.

Prof also sorted me out with this neat chrome cylinder style ignition coil. It looks much better than the standard plastic blob and sits in much closer too. I've had a few good jolts off the standard coil when my leg tends to rest on it at the traffic lights...

Next time I post I'll go over the tank mounting tabs and hardware.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:23 pm

What a cool build. Love all the hand built/shed built stuff. No bolt on American Chopper bits. :D

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Are you eventually going to fill in the original filler cap hole flush with the body work so you can't see where it was?

gsand

Post by gsand » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Right guys I spent the Sunday in the shed and accomplished a few things. The major task was smoothing the top of the tank. I didn't take any pictures of the process ( :oops: ) but here is the result. I was happy with it but after laying some primer down I can see a few minor low spots plus a few airbubbles in the filler. I might just dab some spot putty over the airbubbles and run with it, I am fed up with sanding!! You can also see I've fitted the bars and risers that I'm probably going to use for a while.

While I was in the mood I hit the cylinders and lifter blocks with some fresh paint.

I also cleaned up the rear wheel a little bit, the rim came up OK but that's about as good as it's going to get. I can't run the wheelcovers that have been on throughout the thread because the rub against the brake caliper. I cleaned up the sprocket and painted the centre of the disc that was quite rusty, then bolted it all up with new hardware. It was at this time I realized the tyre is around the wrong way.... :( If someone knows anything about tyre construction, the tread pattern is obviously non-directional - is it a big deal?

One more thing that I did, but I don't have many pictures of is a bit more work on the seat. Somewhere along the lines the rear part of the seat got bent or pulled out of shape and wouldn't follow the shape of the fender cowling. I tried and tried to massage it back into shape but I thought my time was better spent bending a new rear section of seat pan and welding it on. Once I got the rear section bent out of 2mm steel to perfectly match the shape I needed, I welded it onto the front part of the seatpan. While i had it apart I rounded off the edges of the foam a little - the sharp corners worked well with the coffin tank I was thinking of, but now I have the Sportster tank it didn't fit right. Well it seems I didn't do a very good job because I think it looks worse, but oh well, it's somewhere to park your bum anyway. With the foam rounded off it really needs another seat cover made to suit. I'll have another go in the future!

Now for some other bad news, tonight as I was fitting the rear wheel back onto the bike she slipped off the stand and tipped over to the left. My only concern was denting the fuel tank, there isn't much else to break and the paint isn't great so I'm not bothered about that. Quick get the bike back upright, no injuries to myself, a quick assessment of the bike and I see no damage and the tank is untouched. I wondered why the bike didn't fall over all the way and lay completely on its side, something held it up. Can you pick it? :D

For those that want to cheat: http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu18 ... 50feb2.jpg

It's a good thing It happened tonight because I was going to order some parts tomorrow. Now another thing for the shopping basket but at least they are cheap at less than $10.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Tank seems to have come up well.

Re tyre direction... I read recently that it is not so much tread pattern, but the construction process that dictates direction. Happy to be corrected if I am ill informed.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”