bsa a65 chopper

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

ozchop
Interests: classic bikes and cars

bsa a65 chopper

Post by ozchop » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:46 pm

New member to the site ..

And this is my beeza chopper so far, started as a stock bike that was a bit tired and knocked around so i decided to chop not restore.
I registered the bike before i started to alter it so when i,m finished i can just ride and not worry about rego.
Will be running a front end from the 60,s ,70,s that has offset triple trees( not sure of rake and trail measurement yet), 1972 triumph 6" over forks and the bsa original TLS front wheel,18" rear wheel , some type of harley rear guard , 16" ape hangers, fishtail pipes, original lightning fuel tank to name a few.Hopefully will be ready for the Dirty Love show in august up here in Queensland

Thanks , Ozchop..

Youngblood

Re: bsa a65 chopper

Post by Youngblood » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:57 pm

Welcome to the site, keep the photos coming, we love pictures. Looking at pictures is easier than reading, lol. Nah just kidding, will follow your build with interest.
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:31 am

I think BSA motor is the best looking ever made... so neat and tidy. I'd be very wary about the raked triple trees as six inches over does not really give enough extra rake to justify them... Even 3" trail is minimum for a safe handling road bike... reason why "tank slappers" were such a worry right up to the sixties.

Mate was up yesterday installing some adjustable shocks on his springer softail... He also has a rigid shovel with eight overs and a bit of rake. He said that in comparison the springer soft tail handles like a shopping trolley. We dropped the backend 1¾" but I've not heard back to see if the slightly extra rake by dropping the rear end improved it.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

ozchop

Post by ozchop » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks Youngblood, been twenty years since i,ve done a build like this on a Limey , and it is true (you never forget how)

Prof, thanks for your advice on raked triple trees, when i first fitted the whole front end and wheel i was a bit wary of the look and dimension of it and wondered about the handling ...a lot of people advise against them so i,m going to be smart and safe and go to plan 'B'.......I have a complete 1975 Bonneville disc brake stock front end lurking in the shed that will go nicely on the Beeza...When i fit it up i will post pics...

ozchop

Post by ozchop » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Some recent pics of my Beeza build.
From stock to as you see it.
Just have to chrome the headers and i,m done!

Taken about a year to finish and rides exceptionally well .
Paint is Fowlers Ivory (holden colour) and frame is Hq Holden metallic chocolate brown.
Most parts on bike are new including Handlebars,all switchgear,all wiring ,EI ignition, whole front end, headlight,seat ,wheel bearings ,brakes etc..
Frame hardtail and headers and other bits made by myself.
Motor is untouched from when i bought the bike so i,m leaving it alone and just riding it.
I did all the work on the bike myself ,which is a massive job as most of you will appreciate but very rewarding.

Thanks,Mark

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:50 pm

Amazing what hardtailing a bike will do to its looks. Did you have to change the jetting with the long pipes? I think that this era Beeza motor is the tidiest looking power plant in existence. Oil filler looks a bit hard to get at. Happy riding.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

ozchop

Post by ozchop » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:15 am

Tried the pipes straight through ,ran terrible, put baffles in the end of the header pipes and instantly ran smoother with more power.Yeah missjudged the oil filler a bit, but funnels are great!

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:48 pm

That looks way cool.!

Good mix of old skool stuff, with the gators, fishtail and apes. Interesting colour scheme, too. You should be well pleased with all your effort.

Bear.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”