Lou's Bobber Project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

loulizard
Interests: Cars Hot Rods Customs @ Harleys

Lou's Bobber Project

Post by loulizard » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi Guys, I'm Lou if you hadn't already guessed my name.
Here in my first post I will present my processes in the creation of my project as it occurred over the last few weeks until finally committing to build instead of modify or buy, I hope it gives some food for thought for those of you thinking of building.
Week 1. to Week 6. Contemplating,Collecting,Discarding,Sorting. Reviewing etc. etc. etc. I know slow process but no need to rush.
Week 7. to Week 8. Ok I've contemplated enough,I've collected some parts,discarded some ideas and sorted my remaining plans. Retried some discarded ideas rethought the project. Originally planned on a S&S pan head but at $11000 + for the donk alone would have blown the budget.
Next looked at an Ultima shovel but decided too new looking for the picture in my head of the finished bike.
So what have I got? Glad you asked. First the frame a Kraft Tech 16501, stock rake no stretch, its a bobber not a chopper. That was the original plan new frame old school looks. So with that sorted tried to source an engine and box so visited a local HD spanna I have dealt with for more years than I care to remember. He put me onto a good cheap donor bike or so we thought, some one standing nearby took the details and beat us to it. So plan B he put me onto a basket case engine with 5 speed box. which I got pronto he's in the process of refreshing it with mild cam etc.
So that's about it for the moment. No pics yet but I can post pics of my last build a 34 ford Tudor and my old shovel hope you enjoy. Yes that's me 10 years younger!!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Lou's Bobber Project

Post by Prof » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Very cool rod. How comfy was it to ride in?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:53 pm

very comfortable prof independent wishbone front end 4 bar rear both with coil over shocks and plenty of padding in seats. 4" to 6" suspension travel depending on settings.

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Well I'd much rather use that as my family car than any of the modern all the same electronic gizmoed 4 wheelers.

Spoke to a guy some time back with a rag top that he'd just done a trip to Canberra and back and reckoned it was a comfortable ride.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Sweet Tudor. Is it all Ford?

Bugger about that customer listening in, any undercutting you. What a shark.

Put up some pics when you get a chance. Enjoy the build process, it's most satisfying. (and frustrating) :shock:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Bearcx, whilst it is all Ford 5.0lt. inj. from 95 mustang, C6 3 speed (had an AOD 4 speed originally but blew 2 at the strip so went old school to save money hemorrhaging from my wallet) and 3.00 limited slip 9". The body is glass Duece customs and Rod City repro chassis. took me three years of weekends & nights to build, as you say the build is most satisfying but also frustrating. but I am sure a bike is less so, due to the lack of parts that need to be fabricated & modified. No glass to cut and certify, no hood linings, door trims, steering links, fabricate headers, seats to be modified to fit. etc. not saying a bike is easy, just easier. Will put up pics when I start, doing a seat pan this weekend as I got onto a local leather smith that will cover it for me at a good price. Found a couple of guards in the shed, off a T bucket I did many moons ago, so I was thinking of doing a photo how to on the pan. If it don't work out at least others can avoid my stuff ups.
Oh and I am a ford man through & through, put a shovel( as in a spade not Harley) in the rafters of the club house written on it are these words " Chev *#@** remover"
LOU

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:04 am

Good stuff, Lou.

Got blue blood meself. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Ok Guys here's the seat pan as promised. I started with the old guard from the T bucket
DSC00948.JPG
Next the template got it from the web google is good.
DSC00949.JPG
Drawn on the sheet metal don't forget to mark some reference lines. I decided to use the original guard mount holes as they were aprox. 85cm apart.
DSC00950.JPG

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Clamped in place ready to cut.
DSC00951.JPG
First cut is the deepest but don't go too deep as you will alter the shape.
DSC00952.JPG
After grinding and flapping, flapping and grinding. punch centres for the front mount, drill out the holes grind off the squares on the bolts and here you are.
DSC00953.JPG

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:15 pm

And here it is ready for the bolts to be welded in,
DSC00954.JPG
after setting it up roughly on the frame making any adjustments to the curve or bolt positions, angled or straight. Want to use 3" scissor springs but want two symmetrical ones the eyes both facing in not all suppliers send a proper pair.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:02 am

just a question what would a car like that set you back? Very cool car, I want one. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:10 pm

If you got a spare $60K would just about cover the parts, Chassis $16K includes 4 bar rear end independant front end brake lines & pedal,front brakes, not included diff so add $1200 for 9" Body $10k depending on type wanted coupe or tudor. guards maybe $2000 wheels tyres $3000 to 4000 engine what do you want to spend used mustang $3000 new crate $5000plus or custom performer $10k plus. gearbox $2000 plus seats wreckers $200 plus. need new custom glass made up $2000 up. stering column $1500 for billet stering links $300 up. gauges hood lining upulstery door trims. hours and hours of sanding back the body & gaurds to find all the pin holes in the fibreglass or the first hot day the bubbles will blister and ruin your $6000 paint job. custom headers to fit around steering, custom radiator needs to be built. as well as many hand built parts. wiring loom to be hand made, if EFI work in the engine managment as well and add $2000 for aftermarket system. I did all the above except paint and upulstery. every nut and bolt bought and fitted, every bracket made and remade when it didn't fit in with other parts. It cost me $38000 in 1999 -2002 just in parts alone, if I paid for my labour at $20 per hour well over $100G, 160 weekends @10 to 14 hrs per day 3-4 hours most nights. It was a labour of love as my dream to build a Hot Rod since I was about 10. so being a handy kid building mini bikes from victas and selling trhem to the neighbours kids moving up to customising my daily drivers, to learn all I could about motor cars and bikes. working 2 jobs to finance weekend hobbies. If building machines is your thing you can't stop doing it. So thats why I am doing it again. If you want a car like this one find one for sale and do you own customising on it it is cheaper, I sold mine for $40000 the new owner fitted the bonnet I had not bothered to as I like the look of the open front, he did some minor touch ups to the interior and It looks like a different car. There are some glass bodied cars around for $30 to $50K purists like " all steel" cars even if they have more body filler than steel so they run higher prices or find a roadster for very much less.
Lou

Prof

Post by Prof » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Comprehensive reply Lou. Hmm maybe I should buy some lottery tickets after all!!!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Yeah I do ramble on don't I ? But I tell it like it is. I also like to keep both my mind and hands busy so hence my projects.
Lou

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately that's just a bit to much for me unless I win the lotto. I better keep dreaming
:( :( :(
Youngblood

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”