Lou's Bobber Project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

loulizard
Interests: Cars Hot Rods Customs @ Harleys

Re: Lou's Bobber Project

Post by loulizard » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:09 pm

No Bearcx bought it over 12 months ago so no warranty. I spoke to my mechanic today he said the supplier he goes through said they were all F@#%*ED was why he dosen't sell them any more. I guess they don't care if it is fitted & goes under warranty send you a new one that goes. They then say must be the way you wired it for two to go take it to an auto electrician, well isn't that why we buy this gear to save money? I also think that most that buy them take a similar time to build and they are also out of warranty. So not too many complaints back to ULTIMA.

anyhow got it almost done tonight. have only to get some more connectors went to Jaycar after work picked up the breakers & connectors I thought I was out of, and you guessed it got the ones I had but not the ones I need. so back tomorrow for the right ones. but got a bench session at the club tomorrow for the out of towners coming in for the Bendigo swap. so no working on it till Saturday. putting in an extra start switch in case the one on the bars fails as mechanic said the Chinese knock off that I have look good but the solder in the buttons is poor. so I done it now just in-case.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Well wiring is all sorted now.Image This is the wiring left over from the full lobotomy I performed on the circuit box. Image connect the battery test for power on the incoming lead.Yep is there.now test the out going side good no volts yet.Image

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Now crimp on the eyelet terminals for the circuit breakers Image and the connectors for the coil supply.Image and repeat the process for the rest of them. pulled out the unused blinker wires terminated the ones from the bars in case I decide to fit later.Image

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:00 pm

Then today tidied up the wires under the spedo assembly. fitted the chain guard rear fender & front fender. and the seat. touched up the chips/scratches in the frame also painted the exhaust bracket. Image. Yes the wires are tidy even if they look not to be so in the pic.Image. Also filled & bled the front brake.Image. Thaught the metal flake would show up in the pics but alas not to be.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:15 pm

The reason I haven't fitted the tanks is the top mount is too short waiting for a longer one to arrive so it is easier to fit without them on.Image. Image Image Image. Then seeing as how it was already out the front and it was a nice sunny day and I ain't ridden for over 12months, I decided a test drive was in order. So the fuel line holds a little fuel the carby bowl a little more, Hmm dribble some fuel in till it's full. hit the button kick it into first off down the corner and back to the other corner, then home nice, brakes work gears work clutch works. Engine runs smooth and sounds nice too.Now if only Pete can find that longer mount he's got I will be off!!!!

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Woohoo....!!! It lives.

Great work Lou. Can really see the metal flake in the sun, and the ghost flames are awesome. Bet you're chomping at the bit, now. :lol:
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:26 pm

You bet just waiting on the top mount should be here in a day or so will post more pics when together

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

The pillion seat arrived today. But I still have a problem with the pillion pegs, the clip ons I ordered don't exist or more precisely the company that made them doesn't. So I decided to make my own mustache bar. First cut the plate and center punch the center and bolt hole positions then offset the holesImageThen drill the bolt holes Image position the tube test for clearance Now mark center of the tube and punch for reference measure the width of the base and punch too. this is so you dont wipe off the marks.Image

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Next cut the first angle in the tube followed by the second Image and bend to the correct angle 45 degrees in my case.Image test on flat surface for alignement bend back to match. Test fit to bike Image

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:08 pm

ImageImage all ok now get the angles welded and the mustache welded to the base.
will need to shorten them a little and weld in smaller tubes for the foot pegs.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:12 pm

A coat of frame enamel and they will be OK. thought of using stainless tube but cost & it's harder to cut and bend. so opted for the old jack handle no one will know the difference when it's painted. Can use any aftermarket pegs with long bolts this way too.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Now wouldn't that be the way. Spend an hour or two on the web looking for the mustache pegs. can't find them so decide to make them. spend an hour making them. then detail it here, then the mate that I use to weld my stuff {as he says my welding is turd like} drops in 30 minutes ago so I give him the pieces to weld. he says "That was a waste of your time I got a set of them at home pulled 'em off me rigid last week don't use em, you can have 'em" So there you have it! wasted an hour cutting and drilling.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Nothing is ever wasted. You've shown someone else how to do it and probably given them the confidence to have a try.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:21 am

Yep, what Prof said. :D .

Pictures say a thousand words, and it's much clearer than describing how you did it, to someone. Cheers.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks Prof & Bearcx.
finished her today took her out the front sponged her down & her are the pics.ImageImageImage

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”