Lou's Bobber Project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

loulizard
Interests: Cars Hot Rods Customs @ Harleys

Re: Lou's Bobber Project

Post by loulizard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 pm

vs331.JPG
vsi332.JPG
vsi333.JPG

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 pm

vsi334.JPG
vsi335.JPG
All 5 pages prof.
Is good reading, my interpretation, may be wrong but the proof will be in the eating of the pudding. But as I read it, if an engineer signs off on the bike & issues it with a VSI8 report the club can issue a permit and Vicroads will issue an M plate for a modified & compliant motorcycle. Only time will tell roll on March, that's when i think I will be ready to present it to the engineer. more about it then.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Sun May 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Long time no progress on motor,but now it's moving on again. New cam is set to go in, oil pump drive housing honed & new steel gear fitted to replace the worn plastic EVO type that was in her. Breather surfaced so she don't booze on the floor when parked. Oil galleys made bigger to suit the late model high volume pump waiting to go on, solid lifter blocks going in too. rocker assemblies reco & ready to fit. One piston needed replacing due to hairline cracks and molly rings fitted. Bottom end is OK so no work needed. When all back together pipes & carby will be sourced. Then off to the brake man for custom Stainless lines to be made up. Tanks & guards are painted waiting to fit so almost done. just some sorting & locktite to delay bits falling off when she vibrates.With time running out looks like the Deni shovel muster is too close for a debut, but should be ready for the shovel fest in November in Bendigo. Will post pics when I get her home from the mechanic.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun May 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Awesome Lou, pics when ya get some. Looking forward to this build. 8)
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:07 pm

It's been a long long time fellas, but were moving again. the mechanic had some big medical issues and spent some months in hospital. But he's now on the mend and working when he is able.
He has the engine half assembled again only the rear cylinder to finish which is waiting on the rocker box studs to arrive. he's sourced all the cables manifold carby exhaust etc. said two weeks to finish. hope so as I want it to be ready for Shovel Fest Bendigo on 1st. November.
If I get it back on time all it needs then is the brake lines, fabricated & fitted by the local brake man. Then I need to finish assembly & torque & loctite the drive components & finish connecting the loose wires.So until then here's a few shots of the tin work.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Ok Thanks Prof for the help on the uploading. I always used to use the upload attachments tab below but it must be disabled now.
But getting back to the build here are the pics of the paint, the specks you see which are more noticeable on the rear guard aren't dirt but large metal flakes sparingly added to the clear top coat. in shade as pictured they look this way with little sparkle, but in any light they twinkle like the nursery rhyme. Thanks to my mate Bruce Hartland for designing & shooting them I asked for the deep port wine colour and left the rest to him. Image
Image[/img]

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:19 pm

YOur prefered photo uploading system now operational. Michael fixed it at some ungodly hour last night.

I'm a real fan of the classic 70's chopper metal flake... good to see some larger flakes being used again.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks prof will try it out with this
SFB3 2015.jpg

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 am

Wow..! That paint looks sweet........ 8)

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Latest update: Engine is together done by the mechanic by the way not me, I can build and repair V8's 4's & 6's OK but the idiosyncrasies of a shovel still mystify me. Engine is ready to fire, complete with new S&S Super "E" carb "A" grind cam with solid lifters, late model high flow polished oil pump, new rocker assemblies, new lifters & tubes new polished stainless oil lines.Plumbed the oil lines filled the tank with oil cranked it over to prime the oil pump, but starter wouldn't engage the ring gear most of the time with compression, worked fine with no load, so needs a little adjusting or spacing but got the oil flowing. When attempting to fit the clutch cable found some broken bits in the lever assembly in the box he repaired it filled it with oil, the 5 speed gearbox that is, it full as a goog out the clutch side missing some parts there too. Some of which I have in a little plastic zip bag here at home, not too convenient for him, so will get them to him in the morning. But the entire belt drive assembly will need to come off to fix the major leak through a missing seal. The joys of second hand non running parts purchases. But it will all be worth it in the end. So when the box is fixed & the pipes go on it will be music to my ears. It will only need the brake lines fabricated, bleed and the tank & guards fitted.

As the modifications done to her are not outside of Vicroads VSI33 guidelines & has previous Australian rego history, all I need then is a RWC certificate,a Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form signed by our club scrutineer which is not me by the way & a Club Permit Application Form and toddle off to vicroads with all of them including the proof of previous rego, tucked under my arm and walk out with the club plates after parting with approx $90.

An aside if you plan to build one similar in Victoria anyway,I have no knowledge of other states requirements. Follow the guidelines & stay within them & you won't need an engineers report there is some lee way for engine, frame replacement mods etc. even imports of pre 1975 cycles don't need VSI8 reports for club permits, but post 1975 do. Or there will be added expense or remoding to comply with VSI8 so I advise read the rules and follow them and you can't go wrong.

Was hoping to have her together for Shovel Fest but not going to be able to now, but may be on the road by the next weekend. Will post the pics when she is home before I reassemble her for the final time. Oh the final bill will be just below or just over 20K depending on the extra labor costs for the repairs to the box, in hind sight it would have been a cheaper option to get an Ultima repro shovel engine or buy a running donor bike. But I am still happy for the exercise. Not so the better half she is not happy, as she misses the riding, we've been without a ride for several months and when she saw the size of the last payment I made for parts said
"So you sold a nice new motorcycle to spend it all and more on a piece of sh*t bike" but I think she will be happy to see it home & ride on it. I got her a suction cup pillion pad & clip on rear pegs for Xmas. Think she will be happy then??????? :D Now I think I might call it " :D :twisted: :D :roll:
isang piraso ng tae" which translates from Tagalog to a piece of Sh*t

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 am

Nearly there Lou. Keep pushing forward, once you have her on the road, the Missus will love it.!

Thanks for the update, waiting for the photos. :lol:

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks Bearcx I hope so like most women Rose runs hot & cold on things mechanical and she should have born a Scot as she is more canny with money than a true Scotsman. I Dropped in to see the progress today exhaust is on accelerator cables fitted & clutch cable fitted and working & belt drive was coming off to fit the seal to the gearbox drive so all being well will pick her up on cup day. Also had to veto the kick start as rear cylinders exhaust pipe would need replacing not enough clearance so I will get a fair bit of ribbing from the purists in our club, but if I can practice pushing the starter button on the starter with my foot isn't that kick starting? :roll: :roll: :?:
I am eager to take the pics don't worry she looks so sexy as she is now but can't wait to see her fully clad.

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:17 am

I have extended a number of kickers for chopper jocks to clear custom pipes etc... so that is an option. Shovels properly set up will normally fire up on first kick when you get the knack and get to know its moods in different temperatures.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Another successful Shovel Fest Bendigo raised some money for Prostrate Cancer research. check out the entries at https://www.facebook.com/centrestaterodders/

Prof

Post by Prof » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:13 am

Some interesting bikes and paint jobs there.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”