Lou's Bobber Project

Discuss and show your current or planned project here.

Moderators: Prof, Chopper Project Moderators

loulizard
Interests: Cars Hot Rods Customs @ Harleys

Re: Lou's Bobber Project

Post by loulizard » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Ok just seen the mechanic engine is running, sounds nice too. Brakes are plumed rear is working front needs bleeding. BUT I still have a problem starter engages when ignition is turned on and stays engaged. Had to hot wire her to start and test. Problem is most likely in the ULTIMA wiring system 18-533 kit. It worked as it was supposed to when the oil pressure brake switches weren't connected, multi meter showed correct voltages to all links. but when the switches were pluged in turning on the ignition switch turned the starter on. Did a google on the problem and sure enough, found plenty of same problem. Some say it is an earth problem but if it is how??? box is earthed via the frame I drilled a new hole for the lead and plugged a nut cert in for good ground.Starter is earthed or it wouldn't run. lights too or no light. So as soon as I get her home I will check it out. But I think the circuitry inside the mystery box is too flimsy under load and earths out via a positive path, as electricity looks for the shortest path to ground even if it is a live path. The starter relay is earthed well, So my theory is that is where the box sends the earth path, hence the starter running constantly. If I can't fix the problem I will cut the box out run its wires via a fuse box and circuit breakers in its place. So looks like another couple of days sorting it out. Then back to dyno to tune her when she is set up.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:58 pm

I've seen so many problems with fancy electrics electronic connector boxes that are supposed to simplify wiring.

I stick with four car style bayonet fuses (NOT circuit breakers) positive from battery to fuse box, fuse for ignition, fuse for leccy start, fuse for lights and fuse for accessories (horn, brake light etc). I usually use a Narva 4 fuse box and depending on style of ignition/light switch link the input side of the fuse box with one tab using a strip of copper or brass.

Depending on what the owner wants I either direct wire everything (ie wires need to be cut to remove a component) or run a block joiner that wires feed in and out of. All simple and if each circuit uses a different colour wire; easy to trouble shoot and pretty much fool proof.

Unless you are running spots and high beam together the only relay I use is for the starter motor.

Hope that helps.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:46 am

Nearly there, Lou. I would run a separate circuit for the starter. Bypass the mystery box, with a relay and a push button. At least until you can get it on the road..
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:14 pm

That's not the problem Bearcx the starter is setup separate it has a solenoid button independent of the box and a relay circuit to isolate it too. With the box earthing out via positive paths it means all leads are currently positive as the genie (electricity) is running around the box trying to escape the bottle, so it is going down all paths so to speak looking for the exit of the bottle (ground) so both sides of all circuits including the coil are positive until it finds the exit. like if your car has a bad earth in the brake light your tail light, lights up dimmer when you press the brake pedal but the brake light wont shine properly. That's a symptom of a bad earth path. Just gotta find where the earth path is broken if it is!! Will test it tomorrow after work. I suspect the box is poor design as many reports on forums about the exact same problem. Failing that I will delete the box and go old skool like Prof suggests except I will use 15 amp circuit breakers in place of fuses as they will reset when the short is fixed and no need to use a ring pull from my jack can requiring the emptying of the can waste not want not if you don't carry spare fuses. personal preference is not to carry too many spares on a ride (read none in place of too many) being a smartarse know it all makes my mates chuckle if I have to borrow tools from them to remove the tank bib to fix a fuse only to not find the short first as drinking the Jack makes me a little ferget full when I am full
Ok enough gloom here are some new pics.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:16 pm

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:17 pm

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:18 pm

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:19 pm

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:28 pm

She's a little dirty been in the shop for almost 12 mths. and was raining on way home but will re-polish the shiny bits when the wiring is sorted. Then only needs the front brake juiced and bled then the tins put on and I will get her examined by the club scrutineer & RWC then off to Vicroads with the papers. Then have a years worth of riding to catch up with hope she's up to it. More progress pics soon
Lou

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Ok I forgot I think I started out with the idea of a very little amount shiny bits on the bike but it seems every thing I bought was chrome or polished, or boredom made me polish things. So now I pay the price one week cleaning one day riding. Or maybe Rose dear can you please clean the bike for me? :?: But I suspect that won't work. :D

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:46 am

Ahhh......I see now. Cheers for the explanation. Bike looks good quality, once you get the wiring gremlins fixed. Nice engine shots.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:52 pm

JUst a quick question, is the starter relay not switching off when you release the button?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:33 pm

No Prof the starter relay is fine was the first thing I tested it wouldn't be the first relay to weld its points. So I disconnected starter lead turned on the ign then run my multi meter over the leads coming out of the circuit box and all wires were positive, including the earth!! So I opened it up and smelt the Genie of death as soon as I popped the top or in this case the bottom. Dead short inside the epoxy and some melt running out the side. So I cut it off and will rewire via junction strip and circuit breakers. wont be hard as I already bypassed the light circuit at setup, to avoid the permanent head tail light as in a new bike if you can remember that far back in the build. So only need Horn, coil, brake light & starter rewired, oh and the idiot lights on the dash I will delete the indicator circuit as I wasn't planning on fitting them as stated previously. just wont be as pretty under the tank as the wires will be a close fit due to the loom being cut to exact length to suit the box and shrunk when I installed it. But no worries a couple of hours will do it. I could etch a board and make it fit the cut wires fit it in a jiffy box & it would look a bit better than a joiner strip as I still have blank boards in my electronics kit, but not inclined take another couple of hours to draw etch cut & drill a board for something hidden under the dash panel. So tonight will draw a circuit with the wire color to make it easier to find the right wires. In hindsight I should have drew and wired the thing from scratch like I did in the rod but took the easier option or so I thought. My hands still smell like burnt copper & PVC and I washed them well.

loulizard

Post by loulizard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:27 pm

found a circuit drawing online modified it and added the color codes used on my bike so I can refer to it as i reconnect the wires. leaves 9 wires unused from the Ultima box aux out and the blinker circuits. will keep the wires intact in case I add the indicators later.also easier as they are integral to the loom.

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:59 am

Sounds like you have a plan, lou. Plenty capable if you can etch your own circuit boards, wasn't sure of your experience with wiring.

No comeback from Ultima.??

Return to “Your Chopper Project... with photos...”